Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Some advice needed

Somehow I got talked into participating in an endurance cycle being held by the company I work for. In a nutshell we will be in teams of 4 with the target of cycling 400 miles in a 24 hour period  13 - not each I hasten to add!! The course looks like a flatish 2 mile circuit. Any tips for training and nutrition gratefully received apart from the smart arsed pedal harder ones  23 Currently I cover approx 100 miles per week commute wise and then when I tag on my extras I'm probably hitting 200. And also have a rest day from the bike. Thanks in advance everyone.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Was thinking food wise that a 24 hour, military ration pack maybe the way to go. 4500 calories, mixture of sweet and savory food, snacks, sweets; you will not win masterchef serving this food but when hungry it tastes good! None of it will need refridgeration, food is pre-cooked can be eaten cold but you normally boil the bags in water (you will need a camping stove + saucepan). Think that no savory food for 24hours will be a pain. You can get them from an army surplus shop or internet.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, 100ish each. One hour on track, constant circles :sick the rest of the time resting/loafing/support. Actually looking forward to it. Have done centuries before but have been in a oner. This is challenging as it is spread over 24 hours so thought nutrition and training would take on a different slant (thanks raleigh) thanks too sideburn re advise on morale. Will let you knów hgow it goes.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Does that mean that you are expecting to do 100 miles (ish) each? If so that means a lot of standing around; and riding around a short circuit over and again. Am thinking entertainment (on/off bike)and keeping warm and dry? Training nutrition seems covered as above (raleigh). I did a brilliant endurance event too long ago (126 miles, 30 hours; kayak, cold, rain, hypothermia) with work colleagues, great experience. But we did a huge tasty curry which a 2am had no takers and looked vile! (Police were called to,"a group of dodgy looking men standing round a van looking v. suspicious"). Ask people what foods they like; I love cream crackers which are light weight,supprisingly calorie rich and can be 'done' in lots of different ways! Getting the food right will keep up morale. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just carb load in the days leading up to it, Pasta, Rice and Ketchup for Breakfast lunch and dinner.

Then don't bother with all that energy food crap, just take flapjacks and jaffa cakes with you.

And perhaps a gel for EMERGENCIES. But beware, they're proper ming.

For training, just do what you are doing, but faster. 5-10% more for a while.

Then rest a few days before and just swim or something.

Latest Comments