Giro Stage 3

by JAndrewHill   May 7, 2012  

I knew I should have stuck with the danes.
Mads is in the break.

75 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Phinney talking like there's a chance he stays in the race. Doubtful, I suppose, but really encouraging to hear!

Via cycling news: "I must have hit something when I fell. It’s a pity that it happened and hopefully it’s nothing important. It’s lucky tomorrow is a rest day."

Why talk about a rest day if he's not considering staying in the race?

posted by frankiejay [159 posts]
7th May 2012 - 16:43

like this
Like (1)

Brilliant. Ferrari now last man home. Does that mean he scores points instead of Phinney?

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
7th May 2012 - 16:53

like this
Like (0)

Any decision on injured riders is always taken as late as possible, the rest day gives teams an extra .24hrs to make those calls so its not surprising that Phinney isn't 100% out yet. BMC will wait till Weds morning and will want him to ride, if only in the TTT.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
7th May 2012 - 16:54

like this
Like (0)

I transferred Goss in yesterday. Come to look at the scores today after being out and found is was my original team Angry

posted by Marauder [238 posts]
7th May 2012 - 16:55

like this
Like (2)

obutterwick wrote:
Brilliant. Ferrari now last man home. Does that mean he scores points instead of Phinney?

The Cycling news write up says he's last, but the official result puts him 192 Thinking

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1706 posts]
7th May 2012 - 16:59

like this
Like (1)

Phinney was the last man to cross the line so will be last, although Ferrari was DQ he wasn't the last actual man to cross the line. I'd go official results

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3786 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:22

like this
Like (2)

obutterwick wrote:
Brilliant. Ferrari now last man home. Does that mean he scores points instead of Phinney?

Ferrari wont be last even because of his demotion because he just gets put to the back of the group he finished in. Phinney will be last because he was last over the line but will keep GC because it was in the last 3km

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:24

like this
Like (1)

anyone know when the scores are going up?

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:25

like this
Like (1)

londonplayer wrote:
anyone know when the scores are going up?

Whenever Dave gets round to it Wink No rush though, rest day tomorrow Nerd

Also, Londonplayer, well done, you got the 100,000 post on the forum Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:38

like this
Like (1)

ooo is there a prize for that as well? Wink

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:42

like this
Like (2)

10,000th I think - unless you know different?

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:44

like this
Like (2)

Just like Tommeke Boonen has a twitterban imposed for the first hour after a race, I think SKY should protect Cav from himself by cancelling his twitter account all together. He sounds a bit like a petulant child right now. Not saying I disagree with him, but he should let the jury decide what to do with Ferrari and not begging for a (Ferrari) red card.

(Sorry, poor pun)

Debarrio

Debarrio's picture

posted by Debarrio [78 posts]
7th May 2012 - 17:50

like this
Like (1)

Gkam84 wrote:
frankiejay wrote:
Does Phinney get the same time, even if he's taken by ambulance at this point?

(I realize this is splitting hairs, but I'm wondering if he still gets the GC points)

If he hasn't crossed the line under his own steam, then he's out and i think he crossed it in the ambulance

Re Phinney having to physically cross the line, from the BMC site:
"Though he was not required by race rules to physically cross the finish line (since the mishap occurred in the final three kilometers), Phinney said he was feeling better and wanted to make an appearance on the podium. "I wanted to show the fans and the public and my family watching at home that I was OK," he said. "I felt like it was important to do that, to come back.""

Debarrio

Debarrio's picture

posted by Debarrio [78 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:00

like this
Like (1)

londonplayer wrote:
10,000th I think - unless you know different?

Well i quoted comment number 100000

Thats 100,000 i would say Wink

But NO, no prize, i was just pointing it out Devil Devil Devil

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:05

like this
Like (1)

You can look at it two ways (the crash i mean) either Ferrari was a complete knacker and should know better or that in the heat of the moment he made an incorrect decision.

Regardless of either arguement its caused bloody mayhem !!!

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2675 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:05

like this
Like (2)

Oh well sh*t happens.....Like a few people I had Cav and an out of control Ferrari......Cav needs to grow up and shut up,he has done much worse in the past than Ferrari did..... On a much more serious note RIP Wouter Weylants... Sad

stevespro

STEVESPRO 79's picture

posted by STEVESPRO 79 [481 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:18

like this
Like (0)

The way i saw it, He went for a gap that was there. Cav does that all the time, you don't see him looking behind and worrying what happens.

Also, I agree with Debarrio, Cav needs to keep his trap (fingers) shut about it all, incase you haven't seen it, here are Cav's tweets

Quote:
Mark Cavendish ‏ @MarkCavendish
Ouch! Crashing at 75kph isn't nice! Nor is seeing Roberto Ferrari's manoeuvre. Should be ashamed to take out Pink, Red & World Champ jerseys

Quote:
Mark Cavendish ‏ @MarkCavendish
Apparently Roberto Ferrari has said to journalists, when asked about the incident, that he can't see what happens behind him & doesn't care.

Quote:
Mark Cavendish ‏ @MarkCavendish
Is the team of Roberto Ferrari or the UCI going to do the right thing? Other riders, including myself, have been sent home for much less.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:23

like this
Like (1)

The difference is though based on what I have seen in the past. Had there not been a crash and Cav had avoided Ferrari there would have been no punishment. However had that been the other way round Cav making that kind of move but not causing a crash, Cav would have been punished.

He got punished for a much less dangerous manovere in the TdF, so im not sure how anyone can argue that Ferrari shouldn't have been punished, when he has caused a mass pile up that could have been even more serious if some great bike handling wasn't on display

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3786 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:32

like this
Like (0)

i brought in haedo and demare. and i had hushovd and phinney anyway. so i'm happy.

ferrari was relegated, but phinney was the last rider to cross the line. so he's last man home and gets the bonus.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7259 posts]
7th May 2012 - 18:42

like this
Like (1)

Ferrari's line there reminds me a lot of Farrar's line that caused that massive crash at the '11 Vuelta. He saw an opening off to the side and gunned it, not realizing there was another rider even with his back wheel. It's an instinctive, but reckless, move.

Since I'm running a purist squad, I skipped all the sprinters and had been hoping Phinney would stay in pink all week so I'd at least get some respectable points before the mountains. I guess I had the right idea but the wrong luck.

posted by TheBigMong [218 posts]
7th May 2012 - 19:08

like this
Like (2)

I think Phinney is ok, just a bit sore. So he could well be ready for the TTT on Wednesday, handy for him to have the rest day tomorrow. So he might hold onto Pink for a few days more

Quote:
Taylor Phinney ‏ @taylorphinney
I went down, but I am NOT OUT. Couldn't feel my foot there for a couple minutes...but nothing is broken... I live to fight another day.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 19:20

like this
Like (2)

I can see Phinney taking part on Wednesday but i dont think he will last the distance. BMC have a cracking TT team and even though he is in pink they wont wait for him.

In my opinion we will see either Thomas or Rasmussen in pink for thursday with an outside chance of it being on Pinotti's shoulders.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2675 posts]
7th May 2012 - 19:32

like this
Like (1)

UCI are looking into a ruling where all sprinters have a rear view mirror. Liar

Cav says he doesn't need to look behind because he is quickest!

posted by knriley [5 posts]
7th May 2012 - 19:44

like this
Like (1)

knriley wrote:

Cav says he doesn't need to look behind because he is quickest!

Cav is arrogant and needs a reality check. He's done stuff like that in the past. But he moans at almost anything which doesn't go his way. Toy's, Pram, Out Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 19:54

like this
Like (1)

change of subjet but why is there no points for brakeaway riders ?

posted by wolvestopdog [13 posts]
7th May 2012 - 20:09

like this
Like (2)

wolvestopdog wrote:
change of subjet but why is there no points for brakeaway riders ?

There should be a point or two here and there, because the break took the KoM and sprint today

But they don't get breakaway points as given in the classic's

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 20:11

like this
Like (0)

Gkam84 wrote:
wolvestopdog wrote:
change of subjet but why is there no points for brakeaway riders ?

There should be a point or two here and there, because the break took the KoM and sprint today

But they don't get breakaway points as given in the classic's

cheers for that may aswell stick with leading or top 5 ,classification riders and still pick up points

posted by wolvestopdog [13 posts]
7th May 2012 - 20:20

like this
Like (2)

The breaks in the first week wont be worth much, its when you start hitting the hills that the breaks can really score you points.

I cant remember some of the guys scores from last year, but they can get high. In theory, take stage 19 for example.

Just because i know its got three Cat 1's and two Cat 2's. Only 2 of the Cat 1's will score because its a summit finish

But if a break got away, a rider could score upto 70 points. Win, both cat 1's and 2's and the mountains points Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
7th May 2012 - 20:29

like this
Like (1)

Go on, admit it, you thought this was ANOTHER thread for the 2013 stage Devil Devil

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
5th May 2013 - 22:17

like this
Like (1)

Rolling On The Floor nice one GKam Devil spun me right out when i seen i'd put a post on here about Tyler! Surprise

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1706 posts]
5th May 2013 - 22:44

like this
Like (3)