Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Nice frame or nice componants?

Hi all i am about to get my first road bike. I was decided on the Focus Cayo 105 from wiggle for 990 pounds until i found this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1847/a58557/r1-4-0.html

I prefer the Aksiums to the own brand Focus wheels and the only things that i may change is the saddle and bars to FSA wing compacts. Simply due to personal preference.
Although i do wish to get a carbon frame.

So, should i get the carbon frame with 105 on the Cayo or get the alu frame with Ultegra on the "Radon"?

Thanks,
Alston

Link to Focus Cayo: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-105-ltd-2011/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's why Ferrari's look best red - it's what you look at that matters in my opinion and for frames if it looks good it counts for a lot.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another nod to frame here. Components wear out, wheels can be easily changed but the frame is the heart and soul of the bike.

matt637 | 11 years ago
0 likes

yes get the best frame you can it will last you for ages and you will always be able to change components year after year - and you can always find an excuse to upgrade bits and bobs! Imo Sram Rival pound per gram, quality and looks can't be beaten.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

What sort of riding are you planning for this bike? Not sure about carbon for an everyday bike all year round. I keep my carbon for good weather; but this opinion is not based on experience of wrecking a carbon frame! But in any case you ALWAYS buy the best frame you can. Nothing wrong with Shimano 105 components. Check the Road CC 'for sale' pages and Ebay has got good stuff as well as c**p so choose your seller well...

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

No not ride to work. I thought about second hand but haven't seriously looked. Any recommendation on where to look?

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Really? oh, that's a bit shit.

Fair play on wanting Shimano. Have you checked what Ribble have to offer?
Also, second hand. Bargains a-plenty. (or is this ride-2-work scheme?)

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

One thing i don't like about the planet X is that I will be sized for a small frame. But the small frames only have one set of bottle cage mounts, which i don't think i can live with. And i prefer Shimano.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Having bought a (better specced) one second hand, I'm a massive fan of this frame~:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPRORIV12/planet_x_pro_carbon_riv...

Worth a look for sure, the Planet-X own brand stuff is actually pretty good for the money.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

components can be changed as you go, the frame is the core of the bike and arguably is the bit you want to build around. however lighter wheels / tyresmake a huge difference

Latest Comments