Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Waterproof jacket!!

Can anyone recommend a waterproof jacket that really is just that - waterproof. Not just for 10 minutes but for an hour or so. Have tried 4 jackets claiming to be such (admittedly not top dollar) which are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and have now had enough.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

wyadvd | 11 years ago
0 likes

this looks like the mutts nutts:

complete with very sturdy looking chin straps for when there's a real south westerly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grundens-Sandhamn-21-Souwester-/110808153133?var=#vi-content

arowland | 11 years ago
0 likes

Waterproof cape and sou'wester. Can't beat them. Don't use a hood because they stop the moist air venting out through the neck.
Stiff sou'westers are much better than the floppy, foldable sort, but harder to stow away. And unfortunately, getting rather hard to get hold of these days. Even ships chandlers don't stock them any more.

wyadvd | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am very happy with my endura windchill jacket. Been through 3 winters now on a 30 mile round trip commute. Pretty much totally water proof on the front , rounaix Lycra on the rear. Very breathable as a result. If you are sensible and ride mudguards at this time of year, your back honestly stays dry even in prolonged downpours ( I know it's counterintuitive). Until you use a jacket like this in the rain you won't believe it. It has side vents and fits like a proper jersey. With a craft singlet underneath and bib shorts it's good for strenuous riding up to about 16c too, so it stays on all winter, it's all I need! Try it only 75 quids
Other than that I can positively recommend the range of waterproof jackets made by an American company called " showers pass" available from mosquito bikes and urban hunter but also importable from the bicycle hub. In the states they are known as " the best " breathable waterproofs.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

erm koo bikes on ebay, its wearable off the bike (i went for the purple) break the mould and all that! its really really good.put it this way i live in plymouth, my play ground is dartmoor and i have 100% faith it will get me through anything with varying levels of sports wool underneath

keef66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Gore Path jacket. Material is Goretex Paclite so it's pretty thin; If I roll it carefully I can fit it in a jersey pocket when not required. It is completely wind and waterproof. It is also very breathable; after a couple of hours the only points where moisture is visible on the inside are along the taped seams. It is apparent that the rest of the fabric is allowing a lot of water vapour out.

ryewheeler | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Slowclimb. Forgive my cynicism but does breathable also = waterproof? i know a couple of people who use this jacket who say that it's OK for light showers and short rides but after that you do get wet. Thanks for your input. I do get the impression that I'm on a grail-quest here which even large quantities of cash won't sort - the Gore Oxygen ain't cheap. Thanks once again for your advice.

slowclimb | 11 years ago
0 likes
russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i rode in a surface pertex recently on two big rides (77) (89) miles. the body and arms kept me completely dry but the shoulder seam let a small amount in. reckon i did at least 40 miles in rain (ranging from constant spitting to big showers) worked for me, stylish-ish and around £40. didnt boil on the climbs either, underneath had a torm merino jersey and base layer. warm enough all ride etc

ryewheeler replied to russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks russyparkin. Have to say 'Surface Pertex' is a new one on me.. Where did you get it from??

ryewheeler | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dear All, Many thanks for your input. It does seem to be a tricky one. I don't mind riding for a few hours, getting soaked and then coming back to a good shower. My problem is that I do a ride/train/ride commute. Ride for an hour/on train for an hour/ride for 10 mins. If you get soaked on the first ride, sitting on the train is most unpleasant. I hear what zzgavin says re: needing to spend 200+, which I'd like to avoid but starting to resign myself to it. I have an Altura which frankly is good for about half an hour and then is next to useless. So if anybody else has got a breakthrough idea I'd welcome it. Cheers

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

A combination of a sportful hotpack4 and a gore windstopper ozon jersey did well in the rain on Sunday. I was damp, but still warm after 4 hours. To get really waterproof you need to be at the 200+ end of the market, I think. I'd rather be a bit damp, but warm.
The sportful hotpack4 is great, the water really does bead off it, I got it for 50 from sigma, but they seem to have sold out now. I really like the gore windstopper ozone jersey too, I've worn it much of the winter and spring.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Trikeman - just me twisting your words out of context. Worryingly (for me) I'm not a tabloid journalist either...

roly | 11 years ago
0 likes

altura nightvison for me too. I seem to survive without getting rain down the neck. Also enough zippable vents to allow air movement. Had it two years and the only damge is on of the pockets has gone through. Definitely won't fit in the back pocket of a jersey though, and way too hot abouve 15 degrees.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant!!!!=D>

I could never be a tabloid journalist for a living. I would end up being locked up for something I never meant.

Thanks for pointing out my blunder.  1 It does come with age though.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got a goretex paclite jacket which will keep damp and drizzle out as long as I'm inside it but take it off and it soaks through - I think goretex relies on body heat to push the sweat through the membrane.
If you want something that is genuinely waterproof then you'll probably have to compromise on breathability and accept some internal clamminess as a tradeoff. For commuting and real wet weather riding I have an Altura Nightvision jacket which has done well for 2 years of regular use and a couple of offs with only a scuffed sleeve to show for it. The fluro colour is also very persistent and hasn't faded like a lot of hi-viz fabrics can.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ryewheeler,
this really is a catch 22 situation.
I have several 'waterproof' jackets that I use in light rain and are not too bad, altura being one. However, if it's realy raining then I have bought heavier waterproof jackets only to finish the ride wetter through persperation due to the jacket repelling water but trapping hot air - unable to breath.
After many years of cycling in all weathers I have tried just about everything but have found a happy compromise. If rain is forecast I ride with a traditional jersey and if not too cold - thats it. However, if storm clouds are in front of me I don a foldable rain jacket I bought from Lidl that has a hood included (you can have the most waterproof jacket on earth but it hardly stops water running from your helmet/head down the collar). The jacket I bought packs into a nice small pouch but when worn I slip it over and put the hood tightish around my face with the helmet over the hood - all sealed. I leave the bottom drawstring loose and that gives me some 'breatherbility' whilst riding and I have to say for £6.00 this is the best purchase I have made for years - I don't get really wet from heat (vented out the loose bottom) and I certainly don't get wet from the rain - bright green too.  4
I too am of the opinion that cycling in heavy rain gear is hard work as mentioned above (and bloody hot)but this little Lidl beauty keeps me going...... It is another thing though if its wet AND really cold, you then have to choose, ride or no ride.
Hope it helps.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Sadly Biggins replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

I don't get really wet from heat (vented out the loose bottom)

That sounds quite handy. Does it come with age?  4

Ultimateweevil | 11 years ago
0 likes

Your best bet is going to be something goretex then. It will also depend on whether you want to be able to stuff it in your jersey pocket. I've just picked up a castelli leggero I think it is which is supposed to be waterproof but you can spit a pea through it so I doubt it will keep anything more than a shower out but it's lightweight and packs down small enough to go in to my back pocket. If it was totally chucking it I'd probably not go out or just stick on the goretex but it's bulky which I hate when I'm on the bike.

Latest Comments