Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Genesis Equilibrium and racks/panniers

Morning all!

I'm on the hunt for a commuter bike/winter bike. My requirements are/were:

"Normal" road bike
Mudguard mounts
Rack mounts
No disc brakes (interesting tech, but early days!)
No cantis (a PITA to maintain IME)
Tigara as a minimum
Not bothered re. steel or aluminium

...all for £1000, or thereabouts.

Found a couple of bikes that tick all the boxes (Trek 1.5, Ridgeback Platinum, Giant Defy), but they left me cold...although the Ridgebacks look pleasingly sensible, so they're an outsider.

Whilst browsing, I stumbled across the Genesis Equilibrium. A thing of beauty. I was smitten. The only downer was the lack of seat stay mountings for a rack. BUT, having seen these:

http://salsacycles.com/components/rack-lock/

...it should be possible to sort that. Has anyone experience of using a normal rack with these kind of fixings?

Additionally, has anyone experience of the Equilibrium and using panniers? Any issues with heel rub?

Thanks!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

MrC | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you just need to carry laptop, change of clothes & wash stuff I use the Carradice SQR Lite.
Attaches onto seatpost so you don't need rack and panniers.

op1983 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the P-clips comment above - probably better bet

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

A couple of P clips to the seat stays will do the trick.

miles_from_anywhere replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

A couple of P clips to the seat stays will do the trick.

I used a couple of P clips and I have a full-on Equilibrium tourer now for my winter commute. I have cycled well with 2 panniers of shopping home one night and this was fine.

I am looking forward to more 'practical' cycling over the winter

keef66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/frames-frames-audax-win...

Ribble now do a very cheap steel winter frame, Reynolds 525 tubing, and sell the Black Rain fork to go with it. Saw it at the cycle show last week; looks quite smart. That has rack mounts on the seatstays.

You could do a lot worse than build one of those up with kit of your own choosing

roly | 11 years ago
0 likes

i took my wifes bike to the LBS and they did some tinkering and made a little bit of custom metal work to make a rack fit her bike. I would suggest its worth the expense of getting them to choose the right rack and fit it. there is nothing worse than an ill fitting rack (apart from ill fitting mudguards)

james-o | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just found this by chance - the Eq was meant to be a clean match with a 3-point rack using just the brake mount and guard eyelets, ie a light tourer / Audax bike. Or, just pop a seat-collar clamp rack mount onfor a 4-point rack. Compact road frames and eyelets near the brakes = not always a good 4-point rack fit.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

get a genesis croix de fer?

they use disc brakes but pretty sure disc brakes have been around long enough to work out the problems

tj | 11 years ago
0 likes

M part do something similar - you can order them from wiggle. I've used them on a couple of MTB's when touring with no problems. Make sure you check the seatpost size first though.

El_Jimbo_Grande | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all. Pretty much set on an Equilibrium now  1

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've used similar mounts too with no issues. I have an Equilibrium but i've not fitted a rack to it; there's nothing in the geometry that suggests it'll be a problem though.

Kinesis Racelight T2? tiagra on that for a grand and you get the mudguards thrown in.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/racelight/t2

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah.I used one on an old steel bike and they worked fine with my Tortec velocity rear rack - I only had quite a small pannier though.

Latest Comments