Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rocket fuel

are people aware of these little fellas? - http://www.maximuscle.com/viperboostbar/ - they're like rocket fuel. Have a couple of bites, wait about 30mins and off you go! (take about 2/3 hours to wear off, just in case you are planning on trying to get some shut eye!). Not only do they actually work, but they taste great and are soft and easy to eat. Great to get you home on a long ride when you would normally bonk.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

The pros eat a LOT during rides - ever seen the bags handed out at two or three points during a race? Energy bars, gels, carb chews, everything. And the bidons that the domestiques bring up through the peleton? Carb+electrolyte drinks. And of course the team cars hand out gels when the riders drop back to have a chat too.

Your body can absorb a lot of energy whilst you're riding, the amount depending on how you consume your food. Apparently a mix of sugars works best - glucose, fructose and sucrose - because you digest each one in a slightly different way.

As you say, there's no substitute for training, but your body needs fuel! If you're going at Audax pace then fat store might suffice, but if you're hammering it along then you need to top up your glycogen a lot.

You don't need to spend big money on branded energy stuff - you can fill your bottle with a mix of sugars very cheaply, and jelly cubes are almost identical to energy chews.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

When I first read this blog was thinking sales pitch big mick. I agree there is no substitute for hard work and training. Have read so much bulls**t marketing over the years my that cynical head kicks in especially when fantastic claims are prefixed with 'may' and have a big price tag. I am always interested in stuff that either works for others or does not as the case may be. That is one of the reasons I read blog sites. If enough people say it is OK then I will give it a punt. Advice/opinion backed by experience is always worth listening to big mick. Entered my first race in 1985....

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

on the subject of get-you-home potions, my favourite is the zipvit zv7c gel. a bit like taking your medicine but they don't half work.

http://road.cc/content/review/38249-zipvit-zv7c-caffeine-energy-gel

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

getting orney, bonking,,, am I on the right forum here?  7

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

back in the olden days when i used to work in print publshing, we had a big tub of maximuscle viper drink in the office. strong stuff, used to make me go real ornery  4

matt637 replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

back in the olden days when i used to work in print publshing, we had a big tub of maximuscle viper drink in the office. strong stuff, used to make me go real ornery  4

you're right, they do dave! (not during the ride though!).

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yea pros use gels but only in the last 10kms for a sugar high but stored fuel is whats needed for the other140 plus kms they cover Thats the whole thing with cycling you could be the richest man in the world but with out the training you would be in the broom wagon.Sugar burns like a match,quickly.I can see my advice is wasted on here.Eating on the bike is more likely to corse gastro problems.

matt637 replied to big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes
big mick wrote:

Yea pros use gels but only in the last 10kms for a sugar high but stored fuel is whats needed for the other140 plus kms they cover Thats the whole thing with cycling you could be the richest man in the world but with out the training you would be in the broom wagon.Sugar burns like a match,quickly.I can see my advice is wasted on here.Eating on the bike is more likely to corse gastro problems.

they eat during the ride aswell, i have seen them with my own eyes on the telebox. Thanks for your input, as i say i'm not actually disagreeing with you, but for me, on a very long ride i need a little snack. Fair play if you can do 100miles on water; i can't! And i've had 20 years to work it out. I bow to your superior biophysiological knowledge.

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sure i bet you win all the time and then seat on your arse all week afterwards.Yea that will be right  16 Right you are pal.

0 likes

you've got it big mick.

matt637 | 11 years ago
0 likes

er......what he's just said  21
as i say, i don't have them very often as they are a bit crazy and can make you want to go faster than your legs are really able to cope with! Btw, very good for time trials  1

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a sales pitch to me.The only way to not bonk is to train your body to burn stored fat.That means riding long distances long slow distance.Its a training effect but it does not come easy.That is to say you can not buy it.No matter what you eat while on the bike it will not convert to glycogen during your ride.Your body is working too hard to digest carbs so has to be trained to use stored fat.Drink water but dont think eating while riding will help.For about 2 hours stored glycogen is used after that stored fat is the prefered fuel of the body.It feels real bad riding on empty but your body learns to use stored energy/FAT.Even the pros have enough stored fat for this process to take place.

0 likes

i think you'll find the pros eat when they're riding. Good energy bars will have the right stuff for short and long term use. Much easier to top up your glycogen than rely on the slow fat usage. I didn't mean these stop you bonking, i just meant that they can help drag you home. I find your idea very odd, goes against most advice. Water will only keep you hydrated, no electrolytes, no energy, no nothing really. I realise that training is the ultimate cure, and you can't substitute getting out there and putting it the miles, but if im doing a 60+ mile ride i definately want something to eat - small amounts, often.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

L-Tyrosine? What does that do?

trikeman replied to SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

L-Tyrosine? What does that do?

Aside from being a proteinogenic amino acid, tyrosine has a special role by virtue of the phenol functionality. It occurs in proteins that are part of signal transduction processes. It functions as a receiver of phosphate groups that are transferred by way of protein kinases (so-called receptor tyrosine kinases). Phosphorylation of the hydroxyl group changes the activity of the target protein.

A tyrosine residue also plays an important role in photosynthesis. In chloroplasts (photosystem II), it acts as an electron donor in the reduction of oxidized chlorophyll. In this process, it undergoes deprotonation of its phenolic OH-group. This radical is subsequently reduced in the photosystem II by the four core manganese clusters.  37
AND
That's all I know is - don't give it to kids that have a slight 'hypo' issue.....  13

Trikeman.  3

matt637 | 11 years ago
0 likes

ha ha very scientific. Don't think it's just calories that you need! Fruit pastilles - not exactly your complex carbs that you need for sustained effort. Besides, it's the L-tyrosine that's the active ingredient. Bit silly knocking something without trying it - go on, you know you want to (if you can spare the 2 quid that is!). Can't say i'm necking them every time i get my bike out, sometimes it's just orange juice and malt loaf, but they're great for 60mile+ rides. I may be talking to the wrong audience.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks like sugar, 180 calories, as much caffeine as you get in a cup of coffee and a small amount of protein at two quid a go? Bag of Fruit pastilles and a cup of coffee 500 calories and the same amount of caffeine = more bang for your £ and probably tastes nicer!

Latest Comments