Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seat height

Is it me or has anyone noticed short people always look too low in the saddle but tall riders seem too high.That is to say they both look wrong but i am sure its an illusion.Check out your friends and tv coverage of cycle racing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

It funny, I had a bike fit when I got my allez and sitting on the bike, if setting it up myself, would have had the saddle higher. That said I stuck with the set up and never had an ache or pain in back, knees, etc.

I will set up the tarmac the same.

Raleigh replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

It funny, I had a bike fit when I got my allez and sitting on the bike, if setting it up myself, would have had the saddle higher. That said I stuck with the set up and never had an ache or pain in back, knees, etc.

Presumably the venge as well?

Super Domestique replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

Presumably the venge as well?

It's the Tarmac Expert I am getting. The Venge can wait. (Actually it was a bit harsh and, imho, didn't climb as well so lacked the all round ability of the Tarmac.)

big mick replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Be careful setting seat height only.I have three bikes and they all fit right.The seat heights are all different.Saddle set back vary and up tube/stem length differ so they, three bikes,feel right so there is more to think about than center to top of saddle measurement in isolation.

Super Domestique replied to big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes
big mick wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

Be careful setting seat height only.I have three bikes and they all fit right.The seat heights are all different.Saddle set back vary and up tube/stem length differ so they, three bikes,feel right so there is more to think about than center to top of saddle measurement in isolation.

Agreed. I should have been clearer. I will go over the new bike (same make/size) with the tape measure plus use my bike fit print out too.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

yep @andy, i have a 30 inch inside leg and my seat was set at 30 inches, can barely sit on the seat and put my foot down. but it feels right

andylul | 12 years ago
0 likes

I know when I had a bike fit a couple of year ago, I was astonished at how high the technician set my saddle - I can barely reach the ground and have to partially dismount when stationary, but backache and leg cramps disappeared the day after...

Latest Comments