Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cycling magazines

I am pretty sure I asked this in the past but we have new users and different active users now.

So which, if any, cycling mags do you read?

I am a bit of mag fan. I have a sub for singletrack plus am poised to do the same for procycling.

I get to read cycling plus and what mtb as my dad gets them but they are more of a quick skim.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

can't beat Procycling

captain_slog | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to buy Cycling Plus regularly but found it was becoming a bit samey so now just get it occasionally. It's been fun to play "where's Warren?" and watch the transformation of the quondam art editor from fixie-toting hipster to full-on roadie tech ed, losing weight in the process but keeping the goatee, natch.

mike the bike | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cycling Plus for me, it's the best all-rounder and my subscription cost £34 for 13 editions. What more do you want?

road ronin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i read a lot on here and bikeradar, but also procycling and Rouleur and sometimes CW all in print. the internet holds so much info on team sites and other magazine site etc  16

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I check CW in the newsagent often and buy it occasionally. Usually treat myself to a copy if we're at my parents' place for the weekend. Cycle Sport or Procycling some months.

Have been a keen reader of Singletrack in the past as it has excellent photography and the most grown-up approach towards writing about MTBing. Don't buy it as often these days as there's too much bias towards full sus group tests and pricey components for me and I rarely ride offroad.

Pisiform | 11 years ago
0 likes

I bought the last copy of "Ride" which the first I'd read. Really enjoyed it. Its all contributed articles on any subject to do with cycling and roughly 50:50 split between MTB and road.

[htp]http://www.theridejournal.com/[/htp]

I see on their website you can download past issues for free so looks a fairly risk free way of seeing if you enjoy it.

Otherwise the only other must buys are CycleSport and Rouleur

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cycling Active sub for me. I find it is more geared towards the more general rider / beginner rider which is cool for me.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Usually opt for cycling plus/active/sport/weekly. Really depends what mood I'm in and what's inside. I like to flick through pages and oh ah at them.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rouleur sub just expired and may give it a break as it seems to be getting just a bit too pretentious these days (plus the packaging is terrible if you buy it from Rouleur as its so thin the spine gets damaged and that annoys me.)

also get Pro cycling during the season and sometimes cycle sport - the pics in both are great.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do sometimes buy things online and on my tablet. Like Simon I get the Gazzetta. I do miss the pink paper though, used to get it from the local newsagents specially when i was younger and Football Italia was on CH4.

I just refuse to pay money for things in magazine form. Apart from it being so expensive, i see it as my way of helping the planet  3  44  26

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simon,

if you're reading all those cycling magazines, how come your fantasy team isn't doing better?  19

I agree with gkam. So much available online, I'm very reluctant to fork out the cash to buy paper products. The recent bike of the year 2012 review was £8. That's just mad. I can buy some cycling equipment from Decathlon for that. Also agree it's just full of adverts.

Simon_MacMichael replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

Simon, if you're reading all those cycling magazines, how come your fantasy team isn't doing better?  19

Oh I was definitely up there in the cobbled races, top ten overall at a guess?

I was more of a Cav than a Gerrans in MSR, though, and as for the Ardennes... let's just say I was happier to see the back of them than Easy Company in Band of Brothers were...

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh man.

Rouleur, Procycling (print and iPad), Cycle Sport (nice to see a pic of the back of my head in current issue), CW most weeks, Peloton (print and electronic), Tuttobici (iPad) plus I have monthly sub to Gazzetta dello Sport iPad (which is basically the print copy, always read the cycling pages plus to see how badly my football team is doing) and also buy L'Equipe via iPad for specific races.

I have to be very selective in what I actually read though because there's no way I have enough time to get through all of those  3

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I guess part of it is that I like the feel of reading a mag. I know that often reviews, etc can be had online but photos in the mags I get added to the articles make them worth it for me.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cycling weekly every week,

Alternate three monthly between Pro Cycling, Cycling Plus and Cycling active.

Also just got a subscription to Top Velo, to help me with my Pre U French Reading.

I normally just look at the pictures though  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The only one i ever read is Evans - Ride It, which i used to get through the door, haven't had one in a while, but if i'm right, thats sorted out by the guys who this site  3

I refuse to spend money on a magazine when everything thats in them is available free online in different forms, whether it be reviews and news on here or other places.

What are you for a cycling mag these days £5? and then got sometimes get the free tat that comes with it, but its full of adverts  14

Latest Comments