Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is Mongoose Maurice 2010 (black L) a good road bike?

I have a Mongoose Maurice 2010 (black  30 which I was intending to use for commuting to office occasionally (20 odd miles 1 way). However the first day itself the back tire went flat half way

I am riding on city roads in Manchester, which are not very smooth. I am sure I have not bumped in any pot holes (as I was riding with moderate care). The tires on the bike are Continental Thunderbird 25c (one that comes with it).

On the internet I have seen people sharing the same concern about MM road bike. I was suggested the use of Ultra Gator tires to prevent puncture. Can someone please tell me

1) will Ultra Gator tires help my commute?
2) can I put 28c tires on my Mongoose Maurice 2010 - wheel 700?
2.a) will it reduce the chances of puncture and give a better ride (less thrums)?
3) What about the combination of 1 & 2 - 28c ultra gator on my bike?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Sumith | 11 years ago
0 likes

And finally I have puncture resistant tires on !! I have decided to go with Schwalbe Marathon Plus (smart guard) tires.

I put the 700x 28c tires initially but removed them for 2 reasons - 1) frame isn't long enough for them; I could probably have gotten away with extending the chain by a couple of links, yet then 2) the tires seemed to bulge out from the rim and I feared that they may come out under pressure.

Also noticed that the rim said 700x18c/23c and decided to go with 700x25c tires. They look good and the ride quality doesn't seem to have changed much. BUT.... getting them on the rim was paaaainfuuuulllllll.... Me and my friend Dave had to come up with ingenious ideas to get it on, in addition to following tips from youtube and from Schwalbe's website. We pulled the tire as in a tug-of-war, (not folding the tire but pulling along straight portions) to get it stretched and had to use a lot of strength to get it on.. finally we got it on, Thank God..

Sumith | 11 years ago
0 likes

Why not 20 miles on MM? Is it not built to do that? (I am asking as I don't know. At times I feel its a little shaky)

I had been seeking suggestions and reading reviews on tires finally decided to go with Schwalbes Marathon Plus with Smart Guard 700 x 28 c. Will put it on on Thursday and later on will share the experience.

JK | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Maurice and would'nt like to ride 20 miles on it!

Back to tyres, I use Gatorskin's on my winter road bike and puncture protection is excellent.

Sumith | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nope.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you ever cycle past Waterloo Road?

Meet Chalky anytime?

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personally I like the Armadillo elite, I'm running the 23c version. Either one will provide ample puncture resistance. Buy the cheaper ones and supplement with new inner tubes!

(I thought it was never nice weather in Rochdale?!  4 )

Sumith replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

LOL !!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd have the continental, but thats the brand i use all the time

farrell | 11 years ago
0 likes

I always think of BMXs when I think of Mongoose, then I think of the regret of trashing my Supergoose on a badly surfaced track many moons ago.

My main concern would be doing 20 miles (I assume you're coming in from Rochdale judging by your profile) grinding up the associated hills on a fixed gear rather than punctures, but I just like having the option of using gears and occasionally freewheeling.

Sumith replied to farrell | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my commute is from Rochdale to Altrincham  1 planning for 2 days a week (on good weather). My route has just a couple of climbs and descends. I like the control on a fixie. Moreover on my type of bike, break pad eats the rim paints  2

Which one , will make a good puncture resistant tire?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had to go look up your bike, I always though Mongoose were BMX makers. That just comes from my childhood, lol

Its a flat bar hybrid right?

Is it a single speed?

If you have 25c on at the moment, it should easily take 28c its all a case of clearance with the brakes and frame. Any tyres with puncture prevention with help prevent punctures  3

Sumith replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply.

It has a flat bar handle.

Mongoose doesn't call it a hybrid bike specifically. It came with 25c tires on. So I don't know.

Which one , between 'All condition Aramadillo Elite' & 'Continental Gator Skin' will be a better choice?

Latest Comments