Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro D'Italia

So, the time has come. The first Grand Tour of 2012.

No previous winner, obvs, as Contador was banned.

Grainy Thomas will make an appearance, as will the Manx Express, in an attempt to gain the last points jersey that he hasn't won.

Pinotti's leading BMC.

I think that Basso will try and do well, as will Fuglsang.

Normal Italian Wildcards and net app: Giocattoli, Colnago-CSF Inox, Farnese Vini-Selle Italia, Team NetApp.

Jose Rujano is a personal favourite

Relatively straightforward Danish TT and two stages to start with.

Would love to hear your thoughts with regards to your teams.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

111 comments

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simon, that's interesting. Seriously.

How come cyclists like Cav stick around to the end stage for the TdF and Vuelta but not the Giro then? Surely winning the points jersey in the Giro is just as prestigious as the 2 other grand tours?

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

The organisers don't seem to have an issue with Cav (or others) pulling out of race early, if they did they would design a route that didn't have pretty much all the sprint stages in the first half and the mountains in the second half.

I reckon there's a degree of complicity between RCS and the teams there, it's in the interests of the organisers to attract the biggest-name sprinters, but not to break them by expecting them to complete the race (in which case teams would just leave them at home).

BTW, unless they change the rules, Cav will never win the Giro points jersey - it doesn't load the points in favour of flat stages the way the TDF and Vuelta do.

I'll flag up the stage issue to Dave tomorrow unless he sees it before.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got my info from cycling fever if that makes a difference? as all seems correct on there

bubby016 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just checked to see if I was wrong and realized that all the stages are supposedly stage 1.

dave atkinson replied to bubby016 | 11 years ago
0 likes
bubby016 wrote:

I just checked to see if I was wrong and realized that all the stages are supposedly stage 1.

the stage details below the scroller at the top are all correct, i've made the scroller reflect the stage you're on too now

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Jakob Fuglsang didn't start in the 3rd stage of the 2012 Tour de Romandie because of an inflammation of the articular capsule and ligament of his left knee. The RadioShack-Nissan team management and medical staff have decided to remove the Danish rider from the team's roster for this year's Giro d'Italia.  26

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK....Here goes

Hushovd
Thomas
DeGendt
Pozzato
Larsson
Bobridge
Phinney
Slagter
Rasmussen

0 likes

Stage 1 is a TT in Herning
Stage 2 starts in Herning, leaves and then finishes back there

bubby016 replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Stage 1 is a TT in Herning
Stage 2 starts in Herning, leaves and then finishes back there

I know, but if you click on stage 1, it says it is a 9 km TT, which is correct. But, if you click on stage 2, it says the same thing, which is incorrect.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You sure your not confusing  3

Stage 1: Herning
Stage 2: Herning

bubby016 | 11 years ago
0 likes

39 I went to the stages page and saw that there are two stage ones  7 I believe I am correct in saying that there are not two time trials in a row

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is Vino really riding?

chrisdstripes replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Is Vino really riding?

Unconfirmed as far as I can tell - Astana still have 13 riders on their "longlist". Fuglsang still listed though and he's definitely out so I'd take the list with a small pinch of salt for now - presumably all will be confirmed in a couple of days and our list will be updated.

0 likes

Same, I have my team and first 2 transfers planned

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have my team decided, just got to wait for the teams to put out who they are sending  19

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Decisions decisions  39

Still got plenty of time to have a play about with my team and after a dismal classics season i need something special for the giro.

0 likes

Romandie is on this weekend  3 and it should be a good race

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wish it was sooner. Love my weekends when races are on.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think that I prefer the Giro as well, much more low key, and more interesting stages.

0 likes

Prefer to keep my teams/opinions abit closer to my chest on this one (at least till it has started)

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Scarponi will presumably go for it?

I think I prefer the Giro to the TdF. Much classier.

I don't like the way that a sprinter like Cav does the stages he feels like racing, then pulls out out of choice. That raises an eyebrow for me.

Pages

Latest Comments