Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Valve dust caps

Does anyone bother with them?

I think that there's a Velominati rule about it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

Simon E replied to carlgrz | 11 years ago
0 likes
carlgrz wrote:

Jeez, lighten up boys.

Hands up to a sense of humour failure over here, but it was late and my joke radar wasn't working properly. I even had the sound turned up but couldn't hear any chuckling.

Perhaps you could help the 'hard of humouring' and provide a clue.

matt637 | 11 years ago
0 likes

'the rules' are brilliant, but please don't think you have to follow them all! I can't believe this forum topic! Pros don't bother with them because they don't ride the same tube for months through rain, salt, muck etc and they have 'people' to put things right and lots of money - oh, and it's not their tube or their bike etc etc........... Why would you be so concerned about such an insignificant thing?!

jforbes004 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Coloured ones that match the frame, a pretty final touch...

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I bother with them, (although I always seem to lose them) stop your valve cores getting corroded by salt water and gunk… there's a reason pros don't bother with them (well, pro team mechanics) but then I'm not a pro so I do…

carlgrz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bin em and that stupid screw on collar. They are both pointless so why bother? Oh and the pro's don't use them so that's good enough for me.

Simon E replied to carlgrz | 11 years ago
0 likes
carlgrz wrote:

the pro's don't use them so that's good enough for me.

I guess you walk around in a cycling skinsuit and drink a recovery shake every time you pop to the post office? Does a car follow you round on every training ride with spare bikes on the roof? Do you have an apartment in Girona? If the pro riders stopped using toilet paper after a poo would you do that too?

Where's the 'rolls eyes' icon when I need it...?

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use them unless I lose them after mending a puncture, which frequently happens. At the moment I have two, amazingly, but I haven't had many punctures recently. Put a tool bag under my saddle as well as I've got plenty of other stuff in my pockets. And a rack for commuting/shopping. There must be a rule against that. They are a bit ugly though but needs must.

ALIHISGREAT | 11 years ago
0 likes

its not worth the hassle to take them off -> unlike something like the spoke-protectors behind the cassette which do significantly improve the looks of the bike.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Why not? They exist for a reason.

Always have done, I can't think of a reason not to. I don't need a slightly sad set of internerd rules (even when they're tongue-in-cheek ones) to tell me what to do. And since I read Brian Palmer's account of dealing with a gunked up naked valve I ensure mine never leave the house uncovered.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Guilty.

Pages

Latest Comments