Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Valve dust caps

Does anyone bother with them?

I think that there's a Velominati rule about it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

I reckon I had more problems with corroded/jammed valves when I used them than I've had since I saw the light and ditched them (and the collar nut). no need for either. Not about looking pro or saving weight, just cba putting them on!

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depends where ur riding, my road bike doesn't have em don't see a need, when I had a track bike didn't have em, my cross bike definitely has the to keep all the crud out, if I had an MTB would have em, horses for courses so to speak  4

racingcondor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Don't use them but then I am someone that uses tubs with latex tubes so it's unlikely my valves will glue themselves shut since it have to pump them up every morning and bin them after 6 months when the tubs are bald.

That 0.5g saving I'd the real reason tubs are better  3

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

valve caps are a bit like mudguards. Pointless, unless you are the sort of person who gets all whiny if there's a bit of water.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

They don't make Celeste valve caps so I won't have them on the Infinito.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never used them for 30 years, MTB, cross, road.
I struggle to see what crap they keep out; it's not exactly a big area for problems to build up.
Bit of a Fred detector IMO.

mrmo replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Never used them for 30 years, MTB, cross, road.
I struggle to see what crap they keep out; it's not exactly a big area for problems to build up.
Bit of a Fred detector IMO.

helps keep water out and then freeze your valves shut. (been there done that, just added to the annoyance of fixing a puncture in the snow.)

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got some free inner-tubes with my tyres (michelin inner-tubes). No lockring, and no thread on the valve stem if I wanted to use the lockring off the old inner-tube! Total mare to inflate as every time I push the pump onto the valve it disappears into the tyre somewhere!

I'm determined to use them though purely because they were free!

AsOriginalAsYou | 9 years ago
0 likes

There is a third way for all the fashionistas, Schwalbe tubes come with transparent dust caps

HarryTrauts replied to AsOriginalAsYou | 9 years ago
0 likes
AsOriginalAsYou wrote:

There is a third way for all the fashionistas, Schwalbe tubes come with transparent dust caps

Ooh, fancy! I want some of those. People would think I'm a pro but I'll know I'm keeping things clean.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

1) they do keep the crap out
2) if you leave the lock ring off, I bet you drop the new one off your spare in the rain at the side of the road and have a 'mare inflating it.
3) if you ever run out of co2 or damage your pump, if you knaw or cut the top off the cap......and screw it back on......a Schraeder valve air line at a garage will fit over it and get you home.

I mainly run tubs, so no lockirungs, but I still use caps.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I stopped using dust caps after recently going to pump up my tyre and in the process of unscrewing the cap wound up removing the valve core from the inner tube (which proceeded to shoot across the garage never to be seen again!).  29

Canyon48 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't see the point in leaving the washer nut on (I only use it to aid tyre inflating). I leave the valve covers on my commuter as it gets filthy when I venture onto the almost-off-road cycle paths for a laugh. My roadie doesn't wear either the caps or washers!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't use them, other just get in the way when I need to pump up the tyres FAST.

Matching bidons: A MUST.

I'm just about to colour coordinate my skewers, headset spacers, bar tape, jockey wheels, chainring bolts, spoke nipples, Nokon cables, bottle cage bolts and tyres.

S'gonna look sweet.

If anyone has any blue, red or gold valve caps, I'll buy them

zzgavin replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

I've never managed to acquire a matching pair, then I broke the matching elite bottle cage and the 2012 black one looks different to the 2011 one, so I impulse bought a white one for my B&W caad 10. It does look a bit off, but I'll cope

Raleigh replied to zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes
zzgavin wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I've never managed to acquire a matching pair, then I broke the matching elite bottle cage and the 2012 black one looks different to the 2011 one, so I impulse bought a white one for my B&W caad 10. It does look a bit off, but I'll cope

Just train on the turbo until you get a pair, yeah!

Spangly Shiny | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hah, and all these years I believed that the "Dust cap" was only there to prevent damage to a folded tube. Have to see if I can find some so I can look less pro.

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

The conti yellow ones are harder to loose.

Glad we're all debating the serious stuff  3

Next? must bottle cages and bidons match, I know mine don't

step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just leave the valve caps off because I lose them all the time. I ride through winter and summer, rain and shine and haven't so far had a valve core seize up...

As for the collars, I found them useful when using a push on pump as they hold the valve in place. Trouble was, they always came slightly loose and then rattled and irritated me. Now have a screw on pump head, so I leave those off too.

Just to complete the look, I'm ordering tubs and will try Simon's bidon throwing trick on the way home. Anyone fancy volunteering to drive my team car so that I can still get a drink when I need one?  4

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

+ 1 for the Conti yellow valve caps  16

Of course, if anyone's leaving the valve caps off to get that *pro* look, they'd better be running tubs (and throwing their empty bidons at the feet of pedestrians waiting to cross the road)

John G | 11 years ago
0 likes

Use the dust caps - as has been said before it stops water, grit, etc. from gunging-up the valve. I have yellow dust caps, easy to see after fixing a puncture.

The _Kaner | 11 years ago
0 likes

I save up all the collars from my previous tubes and use multiples on my 76mm valves....gives a really great centripedal effect when the wheel rotates at just the right velocity....and use Green (slime) valve caps as they go really well with my red/black/white paint on my bicycle...(the last part about the valvecaps is true....and I might just try out that other.....nah!)  16

bigmel | 11 years ago
0 likes

Use the caps - if you cycle through fords, streams and rain then they will prevent your valve cores from rust and dirt.
Unless you are a fair weather only cyclist - in which case dust and dirt will still get into and jam a "naked" valve.
You have much to gain and nothing to lose by using valve caps.

carlgrz | 11 years ago
0 likes

My apologies. Never got on with those emoticons. Unnecessary weight!  4

matt637 | 11 years ago
0 likes

i have a basket on the front of my bike to carry my terrier (small dog, less weight). I don't think there's a rule that says i can't?

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use both collars and caps. Not a weight weenie  1 not worked out a use for all the spare ones from replacing tubes though. Does this mean I've broken another rule  19

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use the caps, but not the collars, a whole 2g each!
=)

John_the_Monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use 'em. Conti tubes come with a nice, yellow dust cap that makes me feel happy, and matches the yellow of the Flemish shield I have on the downtubes of all my bikes.

carlgrz | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm sorry that you gents are unable to perceive the tongue in cheek nature of my post. I personally don't use either the caps or collars as I get so many punctures due to the shocking condition of my local roads that the tube is never in there long enough to bother with it.
Each to their own and if you want to screw slightly pointless things to your bicycle then more power to you. How about some of those nice coloured beads to go on the spokes?
Jeez, lighten up boys.

Pages

Latest Comments