Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Liquidmetal - the ultimate bicycle frame material?

I've been reading about Liquidmetal at their (no doubt) hype filled website. I came across it mentioned as a possible material for the case of a future Apple iPhone, but they do actually mention bicycles, so it maybe isn't totally out of question. It does sound like a very interesting material. It is an amorphous metal alloy, and it is claimed that you can cast it in intricate shapes without the inferior mechanical properties that cast metal usually has compared to wrought and forged parts. Amorphous means that, like glass and unlike metals, it doesn't have a crystal structure. Junctions between crystals are where defects can form, which is where cracks develop and cause the structure to fail. I imagine that you might be able to cast a frame, like Kirk Precision frames were meant to be. The ability to cast frames ought to help lower production costs, though I have no idea how great the challenges would be to make a successful production process. I imagine it could beat carbon fibre both in terms of weight, and the complexity of forms which could be created.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Here is an example of catastrophic shear failure in cycling terms taken from a google search

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think the cost angle is significant, Apple tested the material out with the US iPhone4, the SIM release key is made from it, but only for the US market. Manufacturing with it is expensive too from what I've read. I suspect bike frames will come from this, but not until the volume manufacturing can deliver it in affordable amounts. It's probably $100,000 for enough of it to make a frame now... plus the moulds and finishing

petejuk | 12 years ago
0 likes

The article at Discover Magazine is interesting in that the defence industry is pursuing the possibility of producing ammunition from the process. If its successful we may see it in other manufacturing too. Until then, it is a distant possibility.

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

I found a longer article at Discover Magazine. Seems there's only two major problems: price and catastrophic shear failure.

mad_scot_rider replied to cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes
cat1commuter wrote:

... catastrophic shear failure.

Never heard the term before - but it does NOT sound good!

cat1commuter replied to mad_scot_rider | 12 years ago
0 likes
mad_scot_rider wrote:
cat1commuter wrote:

... catastrophic shear failure.

Never heard the term before - but it does NOT sound good!

It is not. It is the failure mode of things like glass, cast iron or concrete. Most metals would fail gracefully - bending before they break.

SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes

farrell you are living in dreamworld....mind you if it had a gatling gun  39 next time you get squeezed, cut up, generally pissed off  19 "Go ahead punk" whoops wrong film  19 "Hasta la vista baby" except no one gets hurt A Team style... Have I been watching too much telly?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

It does mention it under the applications - sport bitty, at the bottom

Liquidmetal potential applications include:

Bicycles

Would be interesting to see a frame build from it

farrell | 12 years ago
0 likes

All I can think of when I hear 'liquid metal' is the T-1000 from Terminator 2. If they can bring out a bike that can shape shift at will then I am up for it. You could genuinely have one bike for all purposes. One minute you could be out on a sleek road bike, next minute you can throw it off road as you've changed it into a mountain bike.

Nipping to the shops? Just ride the bike down without any locks, turn it into a battered old bin and then when you come out, have it turned into a Christiana style cargo bike to lug all your shopping home.

Yes, I'd definitely by one of those.

Latest Comments