Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Neck/Trapezius Pain

Hi all, I've been increasing my mileage recently and have noticed that the area at the bottom of my neck/trapezius muscles gets quite tight and painful for the last hour or so of the ride. I guess this is partly a result of increasing mileage from low 30s into the 60s and 80s and so will presumably settle down as I get more used to the distance, but does anyone have any top tips or am I doing something wrong? For info, my bike is a Cube Agree and fit is fine. I switch position fairly regularly between tops, hoods and drops. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks zzgavin - I'll try your suggestions. I meant to mention in my original post that after each ride I use a foam roller on legs, back and neck, have a good stretch and then a hot bath. This definitely helps a lot and there is no sign of any pain today after riding yesterday. I also try a bit of stretching when on the bike but it's not particularly effective (and looks stupid too).

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you stretch much post ride? The vertebra in between the shoulder blades often need to loosen up in most people. I'm 40 and I'm aware I've a definite lack of flexibility there. Try curving your spin in the opposite direction to being in a tuck. The Stretching book by Bob Anderson is good http://www.stretching.com/

Latest Comments