Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help me make up mind please!

Further to my comments on various threads I am down to just 2 contenders. Both ultegra equipped.

Specialized Tarmac Expert (sl3)

V

Pinarello FP Quattro

I can get a better deal so far on the Spesh plus it has lifetime warranty.

Pinarello has that bit more of ring to it of course but only 3 yr warranty.

I am really torn and I am impressed with both. Any feedback welcome. (but don't bother telling me everyone has a Spesh as I know that already lol)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

1 actually that made me lol.

It will have my name on it, my username to be precise. Along with road.cc 'r' just like my allez has.

Job done.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

make sure you put your name on it to save any confusion at the cafe stop  1 sorry, cheap shot. good choice to be honest wouldnt buy one myself but that might be a case of cutting off my nose etc. enjoy the new toy

ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes

Seriously its going to be a great bike. I have the sworks sl3 from a couple of years ago and it is quite simply fantastic. I test rode a trek 6 series, and a top notch Merida The Spesh for me was much much more fun when you gave it some grunt. More recently I test rode the top of the line Felt which in honestly was just as good as the Specialized, but it was a lot more money too!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

But what about.... no, I'm not going there!

Super Domestique replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

But what about.... no, I'm not going there!

Behave!  3

Seriously, I am really pleased. It ticked all the boxes and then some.

0 likes

All sorted Tarmac Expert SL3 it is.

Should have it next week.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

41  102  41
Yay,,,,,,, I was going to suggest a decision ball from Argos (the shop - not the bike brand and model).  21
SD, please, for my sanity, keep us involved......
Regards

Trikeman.  3

0 likes

Guys and Gals - I think it's going to be the Spesh.

Just contacted the shop and all being well job done!

I will keep you posted.

0 likes

Hmm. Not sure how much of that is cash, but it could easily be a good set of wheels or something, or as Gav says, a nice little two-wheeled escape to the sun (missus permitting).

Heck, you could even buy a cheap mountain bike to hit the trails occasionally.

Buy the spesh.

Super Domestique replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Hmm. Not sure how much of that is cash, but it could easily be a good set of wheels or something, or as Gav says, a nice little two-wheeled escape to the sun (missus permitting).

Heck, you could even buy a cheap mountain bike to hit the trails occasionally.

Buy the spesh.

Cash terms I guess about £600 difference.

I don't need an mtb though. I have a modern Kona steel HT and a retro Fisher converted to ss.

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

buy the spesh and spend the rest on a training camp =)

0 likes

Ok, still struggling here.

If I opened it up by saying there is approx.£800 difference in purchase price taking a discount plus the price of accessories being offered.

How would that influence you?

0 likes

Lol. True enough.

The canyon bikes are stunning but truth be told it really is between the spesh and pina for me.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

maybe we should change the name of the topic. we're not really helping at all  4

0 likes

oh FFS now I'm back to drooling as well!  4

0 likes

What about the aeroad cf 8.0 Di2 then?

0 likes

See just when my mind was good and proper made up between 2 bikes I now spend the past 20 mins looking at Canyon's website again!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Come and ride my Dad's! He won't mind!!

62cm frame

0 likes

I drooled over that review as much as the next guy Dave, believe me! I'm merely saying that not everyone will be comfortable with parting with that much cash for something that, in the end, just might not suit him.

Maybe by the time I'm looking for my next bike there will be a test ride facility.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX was our bike of the year last year

http://road.cc/content/review/36714-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-80

Currently less than £2,500 for a Dura Ace spec with Ksyrium Elite wheels. It's not just great value, it's a brilliant bike too.

0 likes

I'm not debating the quality or anything, merely that I wouldn't blame him for being a bit wary of spending circa £3k on something he's not seen! Liking/loving it is subjective.

If he could check one out beforehand, I agree that he could be onto a winner.

0 likes

Great feedback guys - keep it coming.

Hadn't figured on negative badge comments on the Pinarello so that was an eye opener tbh!

It really is between the Spesh and Quattro though. Weighed up loads of other bikes and nearly wandered in mind a couple of times but after reading, looking at and talking with others it is down to these two.

Without trying to muddy the waters on price comparisons, etc there is a big saving if I go for the Spesh. However coming in under budget is the only reason to buy a bike imho.

Both are black by the way.

Now I am off to updat emy thread about the Road Show!

0 likes

What's not to like? They are a superb ride and proper race machine ... same as Rodriguez won on this year and Greipel last. Not replicas like you get from Pina and Spesh.

0 likes

He would, but what if he didn't like the ride?

0 likes

You'd get a lot more for your money at Canyon!

For that money, full Dura Ace/Sram Red or Campag Record and better wheels ...and 1kg lighter!

0 likes

1. Given that you already own a spesh, will you subsequently regret not using your nice little carte blanche blessing from your missus to buy something more exotic?

2. Do the odd-looking forks/stays on the Pino do your head in, or do you like them?

Spesh in carbon black/red looks nice.

Let's face it, neither of them is going to be a lemon!

Are you going to post something telling us mere mortals about the road cycling show then?!  4

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd buy the prettier one and ignore the warranty issue, three years is enough for any major frame issue to surface and you'll have worn out the rest of it by then.
- looks to see which looks prettier to me
I'd go for the pinarello if its the matt black one I can see on wiggle.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

OOooo 'everyone has a Specialized',,,, Ooooo 'is that a Chinarelo', just statements and questions ;o)

SD
Can't really speak for the Pino (personally) but always had good service and back-up from Specialized and you are talking about a good one with good kit. It's the bike you are buying though and not the name, go for the one that suits you the best, one you are happy with and forget 'what others may think' it's your cash old chap.

Two buddies of mine have beautiful Pino's but I have to say it's now a standing joke 'question' whenever they turn up for a ride - 'is that a real one?' we all wail, totally in fun though.
Now just like owning a top of the range Rolex watch, everyone asks, 'is it a real one?'.

Both good bikes mate.

Trikeman.  3

Latest Comments