Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

should I upgrade these wheels?

current wheels came with bike:

Front Hub:Formula
Rear Hub:Shimano Tiagra
Rims:Alex Race24

Just wondering if an upgrade to planet x model b would be worth it?

Mechanically my current wheels are fine.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

break!! is that better

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

"brake" or "break"?! Issacforce .... I'm not sure which is worse!  4

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

what about getting your own wheels built, ive am getting a pair of wheels built mavic cxp 33 rims 105 hubs and spokes inc £206. i have bought 2 sets of factory wheels in last 3 years and am finding as soon as warranty runs out they start too break and they cost a lot more than hand built wheels ea70,s bonti race lite, get hand built from lbs.

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

American Classic 350 Sprint are 3 ounces lighter for about the same price ... and bomb-proof.

seabass89 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I beat Dave to this one...

If you want some really light wheels to a reasonable price:

Pro-Lite Bracciano

They are listed in Chainreactioncycles.com for 340€

Or better yet - found some used wheels. Some people (without me being rude) change their wheels every season to have latest and greatest, and I've found that to be a gold mine  4

dave95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

purpose is commuting and weekend road rides

my tyres aren't the lightest (on purpose though) spec all condition armadillos 28x700 - want to keep these on

I've seen a deal on some Shimano Ultegra 6700 Wheels.. the front looks pretty light.. the rear not so relative.. but not horrific.. might be a good upgrade?

Lost faith in t... | 11 years ago
0 likes

have a look at the bontrager race lites and x lites.

really nice wheels and good pricing too.

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

afaik they've changed the model b to something else, it's not in stock anymore.
The ones you have won't be the lightest wheels, probably 2kgs+ excluding tyres, tubes and cassette. Wheels in the 100-200 price range will weigh about the same, so not a real upgrade in terms of rotating weight.
Depends on what you want to do with your bike. Around 300-400 gives a real upgrade to a c.1500g wheel set. If you want to time trial then get a set of deep section wheels. For anything else, I'd just look at lighter wheels e.g. fulcrum 3 or shimano rs80 etc. I just bought the RS80s and they are lovely.

Latest Comments