Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Agressive bikes for beginners?

Hi all, I am planning to get the 2011 Focus Cayo 105 from wiggle. Luckily i fit in a XS.  4

My only concern is that i have read several reviews which suggest that the Cayo has aggressive geometry and isn't necessarily comfortable for long rides.

I have only recently started road cycling and am borrowing a friend's sized 52 Allez. I'm completely used to it now and have done 40 odd mile rides fairly comfortably with a minor issue of saddle being uncomfortable after long durations but i suppose that comes with any bike.

So in a nutshell, should i stay away from the Cayo because of it being "aggressive" or should i not be concerned and just ride?

Link to geometry: http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2011/category/racing-bikes...

Thanks a lot

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

I came over from mtb about 3 years ago. Had a carbon massi set up in a very "relaxed" position as I couldn't get comfortable in a arse up head down position. I've have now moved onto a De Rosa Team an aluminium frame with ISP so super stiff, I've have found in the year I've had it that I've gone from again, a relaxed set up to a very aggressive setup simply through increased fitness and flexibility. So I would say don't worry too much just tinker with the bike until you are comfortable over long distances and as you get fitter adjust accordingly.

P.S

I was fitted when I bought the bike so don't be afraid to go away from what the professionals say on set up

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 165cm tall without shoes.
Inseam 74cm

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

NB, how tall are you?

47.5 cm sounds tineeeeeeeeeee

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a fan of specialized and the 105 Allez is 1400 quid.

I have looked at the pro carbon but the fact that it only has one set of bottle cage mounts on a size small annoys me. And I don't really like the look of the sloping top tube. But other than that it's a hard choice.

With the Cayo i am not sure if i should go for the XS or XXS. Which has a higher chance of fitting me better? After all, it comes with a 30 day test ride period so if I don't like it in the end i can return it.

Thanks

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you ruled out getting an Allez of your own?

Aggressive geometry is good, and if its too aggressive, then just put the handlebars up, saddle down, move the shifters around or get a size too small and bare a lot of seatpost.

I'm working the other way round, which is kind of stupid, my bike has slightly slacker geometry than I'd wish for, so I've slammed up front and moved the saddle forward.

Have you looked at a Planet X pro carbon? ; they're quite flexible in terms of sizing, it being such a compact frame.

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure which year it is. I'm roughly guessing 2009.

It has curved seat stays, curved fork, sora group, silver frame and fork.

This one: http://specialized.velomir.by/i/upload/bikes/specialized/road/800/allez.jpg

I just typed my measurements into a bio mechanical fitting excel thing. And it recommended a horizontal 47.5cm size? Surely that's not right

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

What year Allez is it? The reason I ask is if you are very concerned about matching it up, then Spesh changed the geometry slightly in 2011. Not loads but rather than fall between the Tarmac and Roubaix it then mirrored the Tarmac and the success of the Secteur mirroring the Roubaix imho lead to that.

I thought I would mention it if you are playing close attention to the geometry charts although it was minimal stuff iirc like 10mm off the head tube length. Not much for a young person to reach in reality.

Also seatstays moved to the pencil thin ones rather than curved, plus a straight fork. Small enough changes but like I said if you are making direct comparisons, worth noting.

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well, I'm only 17. And I've been riding less mtb and more road recently. So I suppose it would be fine.

There aren't any bike shops close to me who stock Focus bikes. So comparing geometry between the Cayo and the Allez and the recommendation on wiggle is my best guess.

Any ideas?

Allez geometry: http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=62284&scid=1101&...

Thank you

Farky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Big question - lots of variants.

If your young an dflexible then fitting onto an aggressive bike wont be much of an issue jus maybe a personal taste preferance.

Sportive bikes have less agresive frames which really means they sit you upright a bit more so your back snt so stretched out. Over a long distance or time on the bike, this makes life easier and will result in more enjoyment along with better performance.

Ive ridden for yers but after a long break from the roads, riding mtbs, i recently bought a bike just like you and went for the aggressive model because i got a good deal on a small frame that fitted me.

No regrets but then ive been in the racing position in my youth so its not alien to me albeit it now takes more energy out of me.

Always hard when buying mailorder, tbh I didnt because of this. I went in and got fitted before committing to a purchase. Its a lot of money to get wrong but thats nothing to do with aggressive over relaxed/sportive, thats fit.

Assuming you know this bike fits you, I wouldnt be put off the aggresive style/design. You can always add a raised stem to a certain extent, along with a shorter one, to lift you up a bit if required.

Latest Comments