Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Other competitions

Okay, so there's been a bit of on-the-side gaming going on so far; that's all good

in an ideal world, what other competitions would people like to see in the game?

Yes, we know about the tour de suisse  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was only joking but hey, its got legs. i'm in.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I will let one you guys organize this one  3

But im game for it

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simon - ma wee brain cannae cope wi tae much pressure. It's banjaxed enough as it is wi thon classics.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh and scoring - like the omnium, 1 for gold, 2 for silver, 3 for gold etc, might need specific rules for certain events + if a rider initially on list doesn't race you get average score for that race or whatever.

Lowest score overall wins.

drheaton replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Oh and scoring - like the omnium, 1 for gold, 2 for silver, 3 for gold etc, might need specific rules for certain events + if a rider initially on list doesn't race you get average score for that race or whatever.

Lowest score overall wins.

Sounds like a plan  1

Omnium scoring is good too, nice and simple, am I right in thinking that everyone below a certain place (is it 8th?) gets the same amount of points so if you finish 9th or 20th you get a fixed amount? That'd keep it interesting and mean that even with one or two bad races you'd never really be too far off the pace.

0 likes

My idea was you make one selection PER EVENT, so if you have Hoy in keirin, you don't have him in team sprint, and you can't pick a GB team or rider in any of the other nine events.

Thought that approach would focus the mind nicely  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, good point, possibly picks should only apply to one race, so Hoy would apply to just one of the sprint, team sprint and keirin. Although leaving them to ride across events could be a good way of adding complexity as there's plenty of riders who'll do 2 or 3 events. Worth considering.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

So if i was to pick Hoy, i could possibly have 3 golds  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think it was more along the lines of just one British rider or team (like the team pursuitists) in your selection, so you couldn't pick Hoy, and Pendleton and the womens pursuit team, just one of those.

Sooo..

I'd pick the GB women's pursuit, Anna Mears in the women's sprint, Bauge in the men's sprint, the German mens team sprint team, Krupeckaite for something or other, that Canadian woman in the omnium etc etc, one pick per event, one nationality per team (like the current two per nation rule in the game for the world champs).

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I guess you don't know, you could only pick one nationality per event anyway, pointless picking more because nation's are limited to one rider per event because of all the MTB and BMX thats now come in  14

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, didn't get that you meant one rider/team per event which is what I was suggesting in addition to your one nationalityper player picked team.

I agree a limit of one or two riders/nationality per player team would make things much tougher, knowing which GB/Aussie/German rider/team to pick and where to go for a random Lithunian or Canadian will make it much more fun.

0 likes

But you wouldn't be able to do that under the system I proposed anyway. you pick one rider per individual event, or one country per team event. And you must have ten different countries across the ten events.

Without that limit on nationality, let's face it, everyone's going to make the same one or two picks across most of the events.

0 likes

If someone wanted to do Olympic track compo on the side I'd be up for that but to make it really interesting I'd suggest that across the ten different events (five male, five female), you had to pick ten different countries (ie individuals or teams, depending on the event). No budget, no cost of riders, just see whose ten picks do best.

Gkam84 replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

If someone wanted to do Olympic track compo on the side I'd be up for that but to make it really interesting I'd suggest that across the ten different events (five male, five female), you had to pick ten different countries (ie individuals or teams, depending on the event). No budget, no cost of riders, just see whose ten picks do best.

I am up for that big time, if there is one form of cycling i know everything and anything about, its track cycling  4

drheaton replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Sounds nice and simple, count me in. How about semi-olympic rules, one rider per nation, one rider per competition so no picking Hoy/Kenny and Bauge in the individual sprint.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Olympic track races? Pick 9 riders (male and female) for the whole set of races, play it as purist?

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Olympic points race  19  19  19

0 likes

Next season onwards, the Olympic legacy one-day race in Lonndon/Surrey.

Oh, and the Brompton World Championships  3

0 likes

Just to add (if Dave doesn't add them to the calender), I will do a purist comp for all the remaining I have listed if there is enough interest (and tour de suisse as well) But as drheaton said, would need some guidlines on potential rider values if people wish for me to run purist races for the likes of ToB, (and some of the teams for ToC)

frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes

As a US Cycling fan I'd love to see either Tour of California (conflicts with Giro) or because of that conflict perhaps the USA Pro Cycling Challenge.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

World tour makes a nice selection and it keeps the majority of the riders/teams the same which will only help, dropping below world tour might get messy!

Also, if forum peeps are setting up comps and need to add some riders some guidlines on rider values would help.

northstar | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to see Tour of Britain too, if it isn't a hassle adding all the extra teams?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Anything thats high enough calibre to involve the top teams and doesn't over lap (this year) Over lapping might not be so bad next year with some of the other ideas floated about letting some of us run the races

But if you looking to add a few more here and there this year, stick with world tour events that don't over lap  3

fraser | 11 years ago
0 likes

It would be nice to see the Tour of Britain included, fits nicely in the gap between the Vuelta and the world champs.
It's probably a lot of work to do tho, as there are a lot of different teams/riders from the rest of the races.

0 likes

I think for me its other World Tour events, and may be a couple of the so called semi classics

so Tirenno-Adriatico (runs at same time as Pris-Nice)
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
E3 Prijs (1 day race)
Omloop (1 day race)
Kuurne (1 day race)
Strade Bianche (1 day race)
Dwars Door Vlaanderen (1 day race)
Scheldeprijs (1 day race)
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco (tour of basque country)
Tour de Romandie
Tour of California (runs when Giro is on, Not world tour this year)
Tour of Poland (runs when the TDF is on)
Eneco Tour (one of my fave races)
Vattenfall Classics
The two Canadaian one day races Cycliste quebec and montreal (run the weekend when the Vuelta finishes)
Giro Di Lombardia
Potentially tour of Bejing

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've enjoyed the tours of Catalunya and the Basque country, more single week stage races would be nice.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've enjoyed the tours of Catalunya and the Basque country, more single week stage races would be nice.

Latest Comments