Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Van Nic chinook

39 Any Van Nic chinook owners out there.
Any reviews or comments would be appreciated.
In the market for ti bike but on budget,spotted this one
in 62cm frame.Im a tall rider 6ft5,hoping this might do the trick.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

bringmemyfix | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Chinook too, picked as something that would roughly match the geometry of my fixed road bike. Winging it's way along the lanes for a second year now, and no regrets  1

The Srampagmano Tales

bernieaidy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looks like veloce for me BC.Have only ever used campag and I don't fancy lowering my standards to Shim. Any ideas on bar and stem? Was looking at easton aero but not sure which type is best for my height. As for the wheels I'm thinking of going hand made locally. My mrs is sick to the back teeth with all this research I'm doing for this but you know it has to be right 1st time!Mostyn I will be happy to post photo if I ever get to finish it.Need this done long before sept as Im organising cycle for diabetics to cross Ireland in a day?
Any diabetics out there fancy a challenge post me a message!

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Or more money? to kit it out! sound like a nice project;and a photo of the end result would be very nice.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well done mate, anything Campag will do. Now what about the wheels? More Campag should do the trick.

bernieaidy | 10 years ago
0 likes

After a lot of deliberating and time waisting I finally took the plunge.
Chinook 62cm frame in the shopping basket and waiting delivery.
Next problem which groupset?

Stefan M | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bought my Chinook end of last summer as I traded in my carbon Cube litening for a winter bike. I'm also 5'10" and went for the 54 with their stock 105 setup though I did plumb for the ti seatpost.
My initial idea was to get another carbon bike this year but I'm sticking with the Chinook as I find it so good! While it's a couple of kg heavier than my last bike I really don't notice the difference that much and it's so comfortable to ride... smoothing over minor road bumps that always hammered my spine before (ti seatpost helps as well with this). I believe Van Nicholas beefed up the frame to make it a bit stiffer and I haven't noticed any flex (maybe not pushing hard enough!). I'm out 3-5 days a week, all year and the Chinook will be my only bike from now on. Might get a lighter set of wheels for the summer or upgrade the drivetrain over the years but a whole-hearted thumbs-up from me.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Spesh have carbon frame / lifetime warranty.

Old Cranky | 12 years ago
0 likes

You'd pay a lot more for a carbon frame with a lifetime warranty. And if you decide to part company with the VN then the used prices are good because of the warranty and reputation.

Parlee have a lifetime warranty and I was told that Trek Madone too. Any others?

0 likes

Thanks.

I had seen the complete bikes at fat birds. Both 105 and ultegra equipped. They are in range of what I am looking at. Weighing up how 'forever' I want the bike to be.

bernieaidy | 12 years ago
0 likes

Fat birds have a frame fork & headset deal for £999.
Good enough deal if I want to build my own but judging by euro rate might be cheaper and less hassle just ordering full bike direct from V N.
Still stewing over it.

0 likes

I won't race but just want something that feels at least the same as the allez if not more race like.

Could get tarmac or pinarello but weighing up my options tbh.

How much have you seen the chinook for or are you building it up yourself?

bernieaidy | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm thinking it has to be Ti over carbon for longevity.
A lot more money but will hopefully be worth it.

0 likes

I'd say you could race on it but you'll notice frame flex around the bottom bracket absorbing some energy. This is most apparent if you try it on a turbo trainer.

When I go from my Chinook to my carbon race bike I can tell the difference especially honking up climbs; the carbon frame is more rigid and transfers the power better.

0 likes

How race like is it guys?

You may have seen my other thread about a possible new bike purchase. Tempted to get a Ti bike in the mix of contenders so this is interesting.

0 likes

I have one. I bought it in 2007 and it is superb.
I'm 6'3" and have the 60cm frame with a 130mm stem.

I bought mine fitted with Ultegra triple with Easton EC90 fork and a handbuilt wheelset. I've have ridden it for about 10,000 miles, the longest ride being 220km and it is very comfortable, even on the cobbles of Flanders.

I intend to keep mine for life. I've recently upgraded it to Dura Ace 7900 groupset with C24 wheelset and Rotor crankset and the weight compares with my carbon race bike running deep section C50s.

0 likes

For what its worth I know the feeling.

Keep us posted.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 12 years ago
0 likes

Buy it, you won't regret it.
I picked up one second hand late last year and I'm delighted with it.
It's quick, comfortable and more than any other bike I own it just asks to be ridden faster.
I'm no racer and I don't find it uncomfortable at all, just great fun.

+1 for netclectic's 'Comfortable, fast, responsive, light, beautiful. I would heartily recommend it.'

bernieaidy replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input B C.
I'm hovering over the'BUY IT'button as I read this!

Super Domestique replied to bernieaidy | 12 years ago
0 likes
bernieaidy wrote:

Thanks for the input B C.
I'm hovering over the'BUY IT'button as I read this!

Well? Have you clicked it yet lol.

bernieaidy replied to Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

102 Chickened out maybe later.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

The shop should still be able to fit you to it. There is a school of thought that the 'sportive' geometry bikes are un-necessary, and that the answer is simply to use things like headset spacers to make a 'standard' geometry frame fit the rider. That's pretty much how mine is currently set up. Not saying it's any better, just that it shouldn't, IMHO, put you off.

0 likes

The Mistral is meant to be more comfy geometry according to the cycling plus test recently.

bernieaidy replied to Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah S D read that one.
Mistral was my 1st option but only goes up to 60cm frame and Van Nic don't custom build it.
Chinook only one off the peg at 62cm so looks like I'm just going to have to go faster.

Super Domestique replied to bernieaidy | 12 years ago
0 likes
bernieaidy wrote:

Yeah S D read that one.
Mistral was my 1st option but only goes up to 60cm frame and Van Nic don't custom build it.
Chinook only one off the peg at 62cm so looks like I'm just going to have to go faster.

Sorry, I didn't know about the frame size.

The Chinook looks great. Hope you get one.

netclectic | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've owned my Chinook for just over 2 weeks now. It's a custom build with SRAM Force and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. I went for the Easton EC90 SLX Fork, the Van Nic Ti stem and seat post with Deda Zero bars and Prologo Scratch saddle.

I was fitted on the bike by the guys at Bike Science in Bristol. At 5'10" the stock 54cm frame was perfect.

I've done over 300 miles since collecting it and I couldn't be happier with it. I also ride a Genesis Equilibrium 20 and a Surly Long Haul Trucker, both steel framed and very forgiving comfortable rides and the Chinook fits right in.

Comfortable, fast, responsive, light, beautiful. I would heartily recommend it.  4

bernieaidy replied to netclectic | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nice one thanks for that.Hoping the geometry isnt too racy on it as Im more of a club/sportive rider.

Latest Comments