Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fleche Wallone

Quick change around this week, so after the record high scoring from Amstel Gold  4 people are faced with some big decisions.

Lets hope its another cracking race....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

144 comments

ragtag | 12 years ago
0 likes

7 riders greyed out. ugh

fungus the muff... | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm with the others. I only scored 1 point!!!!!!!  20 and I have 5 greyed out riders. It's just the way things work out. To start changing things just to accommodate peoples bad luck would be a complete game changer.

You just have MTFU and take the hit!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

As i expected, i have 1 rider grey, so just waiting for confirmed startlist and i'll have my guys sorted  4

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, its the rules and you can't change them now otherwise someone who picked 9 just riding the Amstel, hoping for a good points haul to make up for not having a full Fleche team, would be at a huge advantage.

Personally I like how it works right now, its tough without being insanely difficult and it means a little research goes a long way. Leave it as it is for now I say but maybe look at the rules (or how they're communicated) for next year.

Dave's right though, these issues only ever crop up in the classics, by the time the Giro gets here all will be well again.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

to be honest, this is only ever an issue in the spring classics

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

...to be honest, this is only ever an issue in the spring classics...

Man, under the circumstances, I would be ok with people being able to reset their whole team...

TERatcliffe26 replied to enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
dave_atkinson wrote:

Man, under the circumstances, I would be ok with people being able to reset their whole team...

I wouldn't, its the beauty of the game, it shakes it up abit. What would it be if it was easy? It may be frustrating at times, but it makes you think and gives you a challenge

Why should those that ended up doing really well effectively be punished for managing to pick well, just because the majority have not done so well? Its the same rules for all, some will always do better/pick better than others

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
enrique wrote:
dave_atkinson wrote:

I wouldn't, its the beauty of the game, it shakes it up abit. What would it be if it was easy? It may be frustrating at times, but it makes you think and gives you a challenge

Why should those that ended up doing really well effectively be punished for managing to pick well, just because the majority have not done so well? Its the same rules for all, some will always do better/pick better than others

Only 2 grey-outs this time, one of which I knew about, Gerrans. Westra the other - maybe something happened to him, I'm not sure as he was down to ride.

However, it can cut both ways as I was a bit wary of Freire, who I knew wasn't riding, and Sagan as well, partly because of his crash and that I didn't entirely believe the team website when they said he was more or less ok and also that he wasn't down for FW. That would have been 3 stars out and the poss. of more if crashes etc. intervened. Lost me some points though!!

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

paulfrank: I suppose if its down to injury from crashes in the Amstel Gold you can be forgiven but as drheaton stated the lists have been out for a while.

Take it as a learning curve and do some digging for your star riders to try and get as many points as you can. I suppose with so many greyed out riders you can really go for some big hitters in your star section.

Good luck though mate.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd avoid the penalty points, its very unlikely any of your DSs will score 20 points or more.

My advice, check the Liege start lists and see which of your greyed out DSs are riding that, if a couple are (and they aren't expensive so you need to ditch them to free up some credits) keep them in as its a transfer you won't have to make after Wednesday unless you really want to. Also try and pick a star or two riding both the next races.

It's unlucky that you've lost so many but the start lists have been up since before Sunday so there's no excuse for so many grey riders  1 best of luck and if you need any more tips just ask (but don't listen to Gkam).

Edit: provisional start lists:

Fleche - http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_...
Liege - http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_...

Check them both, not just the Fleche one!

paulfrank | 12 years ago
0 likes

20 I've lost 3 star riders and all my domestiques, what do I do, fill the star rider slots and one DS or fill all the slots and take the hit on penalty points? Some help here as I am struggling. Thanks

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

Carl, Dave should give you 4 extra transfers just for the skill in picking 8 riders who would be greyed out ;-))

carl simpson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oscar Freire (KAT)
Edvald Boasson Hagen (SKY)
Simon Gerrans (GRE)
Sylvain Chavanel (OPQ)

Sebastien Turgot (EUC)
Thomas Lofkvist (SKY)
Simon Spilak (KAT)
Niki Terpstra (OPQ)
Lieuwe Westra (VCD)

i expected a couple being greyed out and had planned for this .. havent got the peice of paper i worked it all out on with me today i know EBH and gerrans were on the to be transfered out list so they were expected ..

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've lost Gerrans and Santambrogio from my team but always knew Gerrans would be dropping out, now have to try and work out who's worth bringing in after my monster score of 17 yesterday.

Sadly my purist team outscored my proper team again but with only one grey rider for the Wallone I'm hopeful of making some ground on those at the top of the purist league, currently 6th in the classics and 23rd overall (some 1100 points behind 1st mind you).

Lost faith in t... | 12 years ago
0 likes

is not a disadvantage if we all started the same......

meninblack | 12 years ago
0 likes

Jelle Vanendert was my secret weapon for Fleche Wallone but after his great performance yesterday, I suppose he will be in a lot of teams... I don't know what to do...

carl simpson | 12 years ago
0 likes

i spent ages working out my team so i had people that were in all 3 races and now theres 8 greyed out riders !!  13

londonplayer replied to carl simpson | 12 years ago
0 likes
carl simpson wrote:

i spent ages working out my team so i had people that were in all 3 races and now theres 8 greyed out riders !!  13

Carl, how did you do yesterday?

If that's the case, I really think that teams should be allowed more than 4 transfers. It's not fair that people are starting the next race with a disadvantage like that.

carl simpson replied to londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:
carl simpson wrote:

If that's the case, I really think that teams should be allowed more than 4 transfers. It's not fair that people are starting the next race with a disadvantage like that.

i got 26 points which it seems wasnt a bad score after all .. im not moaning about it though , ive done REALLY badly at the classics so being missing a few on wednesday really wont make any differnce anyway... was just surprised to see 8 riders missing when i thought i had it covered .

Stumps replied to carl simpson | 12 years ago
0 likes
carl simpson wrote:
londonplayer wrote:
carl simpson wrote:

i got 26 points which it seems wasnt a bad score after all .. im not moaning about it though , ive done REALLY badly at the classics so being missing a few on wednesday really wont make any differnce anyway... was just surprised to see 8 riders missing when i thought i had it covered .

Just out of interest who are the 8 riders out ? with a score of 28 you must have some left ???

ray silvester | 12 years ago
0 likes

Time well spent(for the first time) researching the provisional startlists for all 3 of the 'Ardennes' classics has left me with only 1 grey man(Gerrans).

Are we allowed to carry 2 transfers over to LBL if we only use 2 this time?

Stumps replied to ray silvester | 12 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Time well spent(for the first time) researching the provisional startlists for all 3 of the 'Ardennes' classics has left me with only 1 grey man(Gerrans).

Are we allowed to carry 2 transfers over to LBL if we only use 2 this time?

I've had 3 greyed out riders but 2 are ds so not to bad.

Dont know about the carry over, no doubt someone will be able to advise.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

i've got four transfers and four greyed out riders. so here's hoping j-rod and velverde show up at the fleche, eh

WolfieSmith replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

i've got four transfers and four greyed out riders. so here's hoping j-rod and velverde show up at the fleche, eh

Ignore my email whining about grey outs Dave. I'm up to speed now with 4 greys - waiting for confirmation salvation. I'm waiting on Valverde myself but I presume Visconti has gone home where it's warm? Thank god for Sagan and his sweet 30 points yesterday or I'd feel like right loser...  3

Decisions, decisions .If I ditch both Boom and Tankink what's the bet they finish 1-2 on Wednesday?  4

Pages

Latest Comments