Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which brand offers best value for money?

At somepoint in the next 12 months, I am going to buy my first full on road bike. My budget will be approximately £1200-1500 and I am happy to go either side of that. What I will be looking for most is value for money.

What brand do you think offers the best value for money in this range?

I feel less fashionable brands (e.g., Raleigh) may be better, or is it always a case of you pay for what you get.

I would love to hear your opinions, especially if you can link to a couple of examples?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well, thank you for all your advice. In the end, I didn't take any of it and I've ordered my bike today, the 2011 Basso Laguna for £1320 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-105-2011/)

The only review I found was fairly mixed to be honest, but it was reviewing a £2.5k bike (ok that was with Ultegra, not 105), but I still think this will be good value for money.

I wasn't planning to get one so soon, but I have an interest free credit card that is interest free until next April and I just couldn't help it. I am really excited!  4

Even my girlfriend was supportive of me buying it now and she is quite keen for something made of Carbon for herself.  39

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow - that's not the kind of issue I thought would arise when robots are building them in a factory in the far east?

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

it depends what you class to be a bargain.

we had a planet-x in the other day which had dropouts that were so far out of alignment it was scary. that and the l/h dropout was too large so the axle moved inside of it.

i think the more mainstream seem better bets despite not getting the higher groupsets as they'll have a better quality of frame.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are some fab bikes listed and i would recommend looking at Ribble to create up your own special bike - my bro has one and it's lovely and smooth.

I, however, have a Felt bike. Not commonly mentioned as there aren't many suppliers in this country but Garmin used them before joining with Cervelo and £ for £ they are spot on.

Mine cost just under a grand.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if you've read what I said on another post, but consider the Cervelo S1.

I know what you're thinking: A CERVELO!! VALUE FO MONEY?

But this bike is proper chopper. They were using them in the pro peleton in like 2006, and it's the cheapest bike you can buy that's had full on aero treatment in a Wind Tunnel.

So:

Frame, forks, headset and Seatpodt for £798.99 of the Tri Store
SRAM Apex or Rival off ribble for either £360 or £436
Planet X finishing kit, Stem, Bars, Saddle, tape for less than £100
Wheels, Shimano R501 for c. £80 off ribble.
Tyres, Schwalbe Ultremo R1s for £20 each.

That, dear reader, is a bargain.  4

Oh, and if anyone's interested, they're selling Ui2 on Ribble for a penny less than £800.

That, too, is a bargain.

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

What do you think of this deal from Wiggle on the Basso Laguna 105?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-105-2011/

Seems like a really sexy bike, but is 105 a bit of a mid-range groupset for its original pricing?

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Planet X will do you a carbon bike with SRAM Red for that price.

Felt or Focus would also provide good bang for your buck.

davecochrane | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got a Fuji Team Pro, full Ultegra, Ksyrium Race, Conti tires, and a decent saddle for under 1400 quid. I think the nearest Trek with a similar spec was twice the amount.

stefv | 12 years ago
0 likes

This is great everyone. Several brands I have never heard of! Kepp 'em coming!  3

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

You're gonna get as many answers here as there are bikes I think.

If you are looking for value for money I'd certainly take a look at the german brand Cube.

They usually stick some sweets on their bikes that belong on models on a click or two above the designated price range.

Patrick1964 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dolan, for sure.

meehaja | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking at Dolan bikes ATM, seem bargainous...

robert.brady | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you don't mind taking a punt on line then Canyon are worth considering. Carbon:

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2507

Alu:

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2504

Or possibly stick with Boardman if want something you can get your hands on before buying?

Rob

stefv | 12 years ago
0 likes

I want to get something that will feel that much quicker than my Boardman hybrid (which was £849. I don't actually have the money available (which is why I said within the next 12 months!  4 )

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Great first budget. My first road bike was 500!

Spud | 12 years ago
0 likes

Having done the same in January with my first road bike, I went for Planet X. Chuffed to bits with it (RT-57), done everything I want it to do. Can't go wrong at their prices.

Latest Comments