Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle bags

Hey guys,

Fairly new to road cycling and now that I'm starting to get out on longer rides each weekend I thought it may be a good idea to pick up a saddle bag to carry a spare tube, pump, multi tool etc but don't know what size or kind to go for so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Use the same wedgy as trikeman (sounds painful that). Totally recommend it. Able to shove 2 tubes, inflator kit, puncture kit, multi tool, spoke key, chain tool, wire hook to hold chain when fixing links (keeps hands clean), phone, latex gloves, change & card
And that's without expanding it  1
Gillette/waterproof, mini pump and fuel go into jersey pockets

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Stu, Welcome.
Can I recommend one of the ones I use.
It is the expandable Specialized Wedgy.
I put in it;
Tube,scab puncture kit, two levers, multi-tool, two inflator cartridges, inflater head, spare cash, iPhone, couple of gels (if needed) and my wheel bearing spanner (Ksyrium Elites). All that goes in without expanding it. It has a very useful padded seperation 'pocket' in there for the multi-tool. All over fantastic.
I can also get my lightweight rain jacket in there but that will require the zippered lower section undone thus expanded. I don't have to carry anything in my rear pockets - wouldn't keep any pointed bits in there, seen too many injuries from pumps and multi-tools being kept in jersey pockets.
When going into the cafe, just undo the velcro and away to go - like your handbag.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Trikeman.

Sadly Biggins | 12 years ago
0 likes

My saddle pack is similar to the post above: just big enough for a small repair kit (levers, patches, multitool), travel wipes (very useful if you have a mechanical and have white bar tape), phone and keys. I find having this stuff in the jersey pocket tends to be noisy.

Marauder | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a Topeak saddle pack (Medium I think) which is big enough for a tube repair kit and some a multi - tool.

You could also check out what road.cc have reviewed in the way of bags etc to get a good picture of what you might want to consider @ http://road.cc/gear

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not exactly helpful but I just use jersey or jacket pockets tbh.

This thread might be of interest btw:
http://m.road.cc/content/forum/54095-what-do-you-carry-you

Although I did get the smart wallet I sent it back as the tool and my keys didn't fit.

Latest Comments