My 'this summer use' project now finished - opinions/feedback very welcome.

by trikeman   April 12, 2012  

Hi All,
Just thought I would give you a head’s up on my now finished (another) project for this summer’s use.
Below is a photo of it, all nice and clean (probably for the last time).
It started life as a complete standard buy for a gentleman who never really used it, in its standard guise – heavy wheels, Tiagra kit and Colnago logo’d bits and bobs.
I had read the complimentary reviews and understand the debacle about ‘Real Colnago’s’ v Taiwanese etc etc. However, I have owned several Colnago’s over the years, yes, including the ‘Real’ ones and I have to say these little Primavera’s are excellent value, very underrated and a sort of overlooked bike - I've seen them go on ebay for £380.
Completely stripped the bike and removed the heavy bits then replaced them with parts I had, trust, sourced and acquired second hand that I checked and fully serviced. I slowly rebuilt it with Mavic Ksyrium Elites, full Ultegra SL, FSA bits and pieces and one of my favourite toupe saddles. For long distance pu*****re piece of mind I fitted Gaitorskins, I could have gone lighter but I intend to do some serious mileage and have always had good life from these. All the cables are Jagwired and the whole project has been a really enjoyable build.

It is all set up and ready now and is surprisingly light for an ali frame and I will state its almost luxurious to ride, rock solid on hills and pretty sprightly when needed. The quality of the frame is superb and also looks nice too.
For a ‘budget, entry level’ frame, I am well impressed. OK in standard build they may be a tad heavy as a result of trying to keep the costs down, but this bike now makes real sense.

Don’t forget to give me a wave if you see me trudging along the roads of Somerset.

Regards

Trikeman. Wink

AttachmentSize
Colnago.jpg44.7 KB

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Looks very nice mate,not sure about the peddles though. they look like mountain bike one's Nerd

It's never too late to become what you might have been...............

posted by Rob.M [20 posts]
12th April 2012 - 15:39

0 Likes

Looks very nice. Nothing wrong with cheap end Alu bikes (says the allez owner lol).

posted by Super Domestique [1599 posts]
12th April 2012 - 15:55

0 Likes

Rob.M wrote:
Looks very nice mate,not sure about the peddles though. they look like mountain bike one's Nerd

Hi Rob,
yep, they are MTB style pedals. Although I still have Look Keo pedals and cleated road shoes, I prefer the MTB style due to having several bikes with this type of pedal, inc MTB's. I just prefer trainer type recessed spd cleated shoes. I do a lot of off bike walking, cafe attending and family group sorte's and hate ruining Look cleats even with my famous cleat protector 'stunts' being performed unintentionally. Confused
Of course, if I was still involved in more serious riding I would don the road style Keo's, but much more enjoyment rides now.

Regards

Trikeman. Wink

Grunt, puff, pant and groan goes the old man - but he gets there in the end. ;o)

trikeman's picture

posted by trikeman [358 posts]
12th April 2012 - 18:24

0 Likes

Looks great trikeman - may you have many happy hours on the road with this girl.

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1052 posts]
12th April 2012 - 19:06

0 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Taiwan-made Colnago - I have a lot of fun on mine, hope you do likewise.

Big Grin

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [8062 posts]
12th April 2012 - 19:24

0 Likes