Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What are domestiques for?

Why do we pick domestiques then? I had Morkov and Vercheulen precisely to do what they did today and get in a nice long break for over a hundred k. But somehow they failed to score me the expected points. Sour grapes probably, but I'm a bit miffed! Anyone else?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

step-hent | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use my domestiques to cover the teams whose star rider I didnt pick - for the purist game it just means the odds of scoring zero in any round are reduced...

keith roberts | 12 years ago
0 likes

i had boucher (fdj) for the breakaways,but it didnt work out as so many got away.....maybe next time?
just the way it goes!

chrisdstripes | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just plain bad luck regarding the size of the break. Always the risk when you pick DS's specifically for breakaways I guess - especially when in this case there were quite a few in with a chance of a high finish (and as it turned out, 14 of the top 20 yesterday were DS). Approx 25 more star riders competing in the Gold Race than in P-R, so picking a couple of DS's specifically for a breakaway might be more of a percentage play...

TeamPurito | 12 years ago
0 likes

You can find quality riders in there especially in the 'flatter" classics - I had four scorers today: Terpstra, VanSummeran, Wynants and Paolini - when they are free to race for themselves relieved from the duties of the grand tours... the three Ardennes Classics might be harder to fin dsome gems though

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I like having to pick domestiques, it adds realism, even teams like BMC and Sky don't have 6+ star riders, they have 2 or 3 and another couple who could win in the right conditions. Having to pick DSs makes you think more about your selections and there's no reason they can't score well, just look Turgot pipping an in form Ballan to second today.

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I seem to have found 5 potential DS's that have a chance of scoring next week based on previous/current form

enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes

You're going to be asking yourself the same question next week! Ha ha! What's funny is 14 DSs scored in Paris Roubaix... More than in the other Classics stages yet... Next week I think will be crazy... 3 DSs might score? Next year maybe the rule should be changed to 15 riders or less.... :)... I can hear the diehards raving already...  1

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Two of my domestiques in the top 10 and it was a 50/50 call on a transfer that would have got me a third. I'm pretty happy with them  1

livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes

They'll score you points in a break of 10 or less  3

enrique replied to livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

They'll score you points in a break of 10 or less  3

How about next year, if they're 10 or less in the break, you get 10 points, if they're between 11 and 20, you get 5 points? And if they're between... Just kidding!  1 Just looking for more points!  3

Latest Comments