Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)

Today I encountered so many grumpy, miserable or rude cyclists.

Did I miss the memo about it being unfriendly Friday or something!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

kafylou | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm so relieved to read these comments, I thought it was just me. Ive been cycling on and off for 20+ years but I have certainly noticed it more on this come back. Ive put it down to i'm a women, tubby and not quite conquered clipless yet,but obviously i've been too harsh on myself.I wave and smile to all cyclists geared up, roadie and the odd mountain biker on the way to the woods. If i dont get a response (I dont expect one on a busy road or on a steep hill climb) I now just snigger to myself as I almost feel that me being there has p**** them off. As i qouted on facebook recently "to the 5 people who ignored me this morning, don't panic I don't want to be your best mate I'm just acknowledging we're doing the same thing" I also think its a weekend thing as midweek cyclists are a lot friendlier.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Interesting comments on weekday v weekend cyclists. Friday was a holiday which means weekenders out rather than the ones I spot in the week. The week day riders have been friendly by comparison. Normally I ride during the week leaving time with the kids at the weekend.

CarbonBreaker | 12 years ago
0 likes

I must've wish a "good morning" to 60plus people yesterday on the long ride I did here in Singapore, all with a nice "good morning" in response... I do try to limit it to one "hello" to groups of cyclists though otherwise it gets silly!

Interestingly here, as there is so little space to ride, people tend to get on well, but there are the usual idiots as in all places. Even the massive (50 plus riders) groups who take up the road like a critical mass event tend to be friendly, even it the car drivers don't like it too much!

As long as I can sneak past them of course, bugger being stuck on the back of that lot!

There is alot of money spent on bikes here too, but all the gear is not a precursor to an idiot in my experience, just wish I could afford to keep up with that level of disposable income.

Week days there are so few commuters, we have to stick together!

CarbonBreaker | 12 years ago
0 likes

I must've wish a "good morning" to 60plus people yesterday on the long ride I did here in Singapore, all with a nice "good morning" in response... I do try to limit it to one "hello" to groups of cyclists though otherwise it gets silly!

Interestingly here, as there is so little space to ride, people tend to get on well, but there are the usual idiots as in all places. Even the massive (50 plus riders) groups who take up the road like a critical mass event tend to be friendly, even it the car drivers don't like it too much!

As long as I can sneak past them of course, bugger being stuck on the back of that lot!

There is alot of money spent on bikes here too, but all the gear is not a precursor to an idiot in my experience, just wish I could afford to keep up with that level of disposable income.

Week days there are so few commuters, we have to stick together!

David cycling t... | 12 years ago
0 likes

i love a good hello/wave/nod. its polite and brighens up the day, its always great to spot a fellow cyclist, but i do hate it when they ignore you or give you a weirld look. theres just no need! ive found that in a rural setting, 99% of the cyclists you cross paths with are always friendly. whereas in a urban, bult up setting, ive found a large percentage to be grumpy, as if the hate life as if the wife has forced him out of his car leaving him to cycle the 2 miles to miles to work and now has a deep hatred for mankind.

lob | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cycling newbie really, but always smile/nod/say hi depending where I am hill wise  7

If I was in a city centre cycling to work i'm not sure it would be that easy, but just riding for leisure and enjoyment, so not an issue for me  4

Edgeley | 12 years ago
0 likes

Horse riders are extemely polite round my way. Oxfordshire. They appreciate it if you don't sneak up on them and spook the horses.

I would say 50% of fellow cyclists respond to a hello. I think if I am on my road bike, more road bikers say hello back, and if I am on my getting the train commuter hybrid, then more hybridists. Which is a sad reflection on cyclists, in my view.

stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

If I'm hacking around Oxford I usually don't as I'd never stop saying hello. Exception is when I'm heading to the boathouse at 6:30am; anyone out at that time deserves a wave.

When riding at home (I don't have time for proper bike rides when I'm at uni) I try to wave/nod/greet to most I see.

Simon_MacMichael replied to stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes
stewieatb wrote:

Exception is when I'm heading to the boathouse at 6:30am; anyone out at that time deserves a wave.

Used to live down the road from Godstow, always used to be fun seeing the mini peloton of eight rowers plus cox go past  1

notfastenough replied to giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

The other day I passed a fellah from another club. Smiled, said hi and as I pulled in he was on my wheel. Levelled up after a mile or so and spent a good chunk of the ride chatting before peeling off to finish our own loops. Made a pleasant day much more enjoyable.

That made my decision to join my club. I was finishing a Sunday morning ride and overtook a lad in club kit on his own. He followed my wheel, and after a bit we got chatting. I joined the same club.

roly | 12 years ago
0 likes

When I am head down on my long commute I do try to smile, but you have to remember that for some of us it's hard work and that grimace is actually a smile, but just doesn't look like it as I struggle with the headwind.

jonomc4 replied to Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes
Strathlubnaig wrote:

True dat. I find that groups of cyclists are the most ignorant. I make a point of a wave/nod/greeting to all I see, but often times a small group will go past without a reply. Probably my SPD shoes make me unworthy of interest.

Tossers.

I am doomed! Not only do I use spd shoes but I am currently riding a t bar (although a rather snazzy one I have upgraded far too much).

I noticed when out on a ride with my friend with his show off drop bars  1 more people waved to him than me (I am blaming it on my bike and not my looks!

But this shall all change in the next two weeks - I will be finishing off a £4k self build bike with drop handlebar thingymabobs - I am expecting many a wave as I wobble up the hills. Even if I am keeping with the spd's.

Comrade | 12 years ago
0 likes

I mostly greet/ wave at cyclists or runners when running or cycling...it seems to me I normally get a better response from runners; however, if I am pedaling up a hill I need to keep both hands (the white knuckle kind)holding on for dear life and can't normally talk or smile!!!

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

With this thread in mind, I kept score while I was out on Thursday. Only 2 other riders didn't wave/nod, and one of them insisting tailing me for th next 5-10 miles, alternating between drafting off me and yo-yo-ing off my wheel then catching up again. I do hope he found it tough!

SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes

Was out on Exmoor yesterday; I think there must have been a go to Exmoor and be nice to everyone memo. Not only did I see more cyclists than walkers even the walkers exchanged pleasantaries. The bird watchcers smiled. Was advised of a group of walkers further down the descent, very thoughtful. A great ride, great weather. Not everyone saw the memo though...the dog walkers in the car next to us ignored us at the car park, ignored us again on the moor when they saw us and ignored us again when they arrived back at the car park at the same time as us... The dogs were friendly though

mr-andrew | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've found that as a rule, people are generally quite friendly, although I seem to be the one that greets 1st. However, when I'm off to go camping or climbing, I've found that the same lot of cyclists find me invisible on my fat tyred flat bar with panniers. Seems a little stupid really.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Only saw 1 rider today on my lunchtime spin (other than my dad who joined me and is learning clipless and fell off at first junction!) today.

He had a club jersey on and acknowledged both of us individually as he passed.

Got me thinking, that little gesture of acknowledgment was a good advert for his club or team. Now how bad it reflects on teams or clubs when riders are aloof.

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

There's an awful lot of arbitrary lumping of people into groups in this thread.

Fixie riders! Ignorant!
Horses! Toffs!
Expensive bikes! Arrogant!

Maybe we should all just accept that some people are friendly and some are not. Or even that some people are so out of puff that changing their grimace into a smile would cause them to wobble off the road? Who knows.

Carry on waving, I'll wave back. Lots of others will do too, lots won't. C'est la vie.

Pages

Latest Comments