FS: Kona Honky Tonk 2009, 49cm, £400 ono or p/x for cargo bike

by msw   April 2, 2012  

Regretfully selling my 2009 Kona Honky Tonk road bike to replace it with a cargo bike that can carry an expanding family. It’s for collection only from London (N or NW ideally). If you have a Kona Ute or similar taking up space and want to take this in part payment, we could do that too...

More pictures here: https://plus.google.com/photos/112333244966349766565/albums/572687090292...

Size
It’s a 49cm. I’m 5’ 8” with short legs (29” inseam) and it’s just on the verge of too small for me, so should suit anyone my size or smaller.

Specification
It’s a lovely bike, a really good steel frame even if not as light as some alu frames - stiff and rides very well, even uphill. The spec is well thought out for the price to make it very adaptable as anything from a commuter to a winter trainer or audax bike, including:

• clearance for 28mm tyres even with mudguards

• frame has built-in mounts for mudguards and a rear rack
  • Dura-Ace indexed downtube shifters instead of lower-quality integrated shifters (which they moved to on later models) or bar end levers

The stock specification is at http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/honky-tonk-2009-road-bike-ec017..., and it includes:

• Shimano 105 rear derailleur

• 9-speed Shimano 11-25 Deore cassette
  • Dura-Ace downtube shifters (these are really fantastic, shifting is positive and accurate every time)
  • Tiagra hub on rear wheel
  • FSA Vero compact crankset (not Gossamer, for some reason the Evans spec has this wrong)

This bike has the following upgrades/changes:

• 50t chainring swapped for an FSA 48t ring to get more use out of the small sprockets, so it’s now a 48-34 on the front. This also makes changing between chainrings easier as the size difference is less

• Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL pedals, black (happy to swap the original flat pedals back if you prefer)
  • Shimano 105 front brake caliper for a bit more stopping power
  • Continental GatorSkins 700x25c front tyre
  • SKS ChromoPlastic mudguards, full-length, front and rear
  • Topeak Supertourist DX rear pannier rack (the extra rack on top of this in the pictures is for a child seat and is not included in this sale)

It also has the brakes switched left for right, i.e. left brake lever stops front wheel. I find this safer when you’re riding in traffic -- if the left brake lever is the one you use for most of your braking, you can a) signal for a right turn and b) change gear at the back, all while braking. You get used to it very quickly (I have another bike with the standard setup and don’t have any problem switching) and I really believe it’s better. But if you really want me to I will switch it back!

Condition
It’s in good condition and has always been well maintained. There are some chips to the paintwork here and there, mainly on the chainstays -- the pictures show the worst of this and it’s usually just the clear coat or the top coat of paint that’s affected.

I’ve added frame protectors to stop the cables rubbing through the paint.

Other wear and tear: there’s a scratch on the stem, shown in the pictures but completely cosmetic; the FSA Vero branding has largely been rubbed off the cranks by heel wear; the SPD-SL pedals look a bit beaten up but work with no problems.

Any questions let me know.

2 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Last chance before it goes on the evil eBay... anyone?

posted by msw [126 posts]
7th April 2012 - 16:53

1 Like

Hello Martin;

Do you still have it?

If you haven´t sold it, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Guillermo

posted by guille [1 posts]
30th June 2012 - 19:51

3 Likes