Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boonen for 4 in a row? Who will shine in place of Cancellara? The 'Hell of the North' beckons.

With Cancellara out (I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery) who is going to challenge OPQ and Boonen?

I'm keeping Boonen and Pozzato and maybe Sagan if he rides, but the 4th eludes me. Thoughts anyone? Doesn't have to be the real rider you're going to pick if you don't want to give too much away  3  3 .

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

66 comments

silas chime | 12 years ago
0 likes

Currently looking at

Goss
Boonen
EBH
Pozzato
VanMarcke
Van Summeren
Wynants
Boeckmans
Sutton

1 transfer left so may switch Wynants/Boeckmans if no-one else pulls out.

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

It looks like I might have a greyed-out DS then, but it's not the worst thing as only 2 of my 5 DSs have scored in any stage of the Classics so far. This is a competition where the stars really are the stars.

ragtag | 12 years ago
0 likes

Riders should worry if I pick them.. they either crash or win. Had two crashes and 1st & 2nd last week. 4 transfers may not be enough  20

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've no choice, as I wasn't with the programne and missed the 4 transfer rule, so I have Sagan and Canc out, my DS is a mess. But waiting till morning of race, because its going to rain, and I suspect withdrawals.

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

Do you get free transfers if picked riders withdraw now (I've used all transfers already).

Matti Breschel is looking doubtful.  2

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Whats with all these people wanting free transfers now rides have dropped out injured or for whatever reason.

Its a transfer limit for a reason, or else why not just give everyone unlimited

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, although I don't remember nearly this many people asking this last year.

Perhaps the rules, or just the communication of the rules re the classics, could be looked at for next year. Personally I have no real issues with how its being implemented this year and know full well that I don't get free transfers for greyed out riders but I don't really care because I bothered to pick riders with a good chance of riding both the Tour of Flanders and the Paris-Roubaix.

allezrider | 12 years ago
0 likes

Has anybody else picked up on Grieple being taken to hospital on Thursday? He's still showing on the start list (not that that means anything yet). Sagan (P) is no longer showing as a reserve either, unless they're going to swap him in for his bro and hope nobody notices!

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Provisional team picked, got 30 credits left, could easily "upgrade" Flecha and Ballan for EBH and Hushovd but not sure its really worth it, something to mull over before the deadline.

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

I can understand why people are asking for additional transfers. Three of my riders who rode in Tour of Flanders aren't riding tomorrow - Sagan, Florencio and Cancellera. Luckily, I've been able to swap them out for riders who I wanted to put in in any case.

The question therefore is presumably - should you automatically be given an additional free transfer for each rider that is greyed out? You would then though give an unfair competitive advantage to teams like mine. I would effectively have 7 transfers.

On the basis that the Pro Teams are potentially selecting completely different teams for the ride tomorrow, everyone should get 9 transfers. It seems bad that people should score lower because they haven't been able to transfer people in. Failing that, greyed out riders should be given a +1 transfer.

I'm open to comments/observations on this.

0 likes

Nice team drheaton, very similar to mine, I have 3 different riders to you

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

After 4 of the last 5 stages have been nothing short of utter s*** for me, especially as i spent hours working out my teams so i'm not sure if i want to continue as i've gone from 1st in my region to 8th  20

Picked my team for tomoro so will wait and see what happens. Gone for;

EBH
Boonen
Thor
Flecha
Steegmans
Iglinsky
Wynants
Vanmarcke
Guarnieri.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Tom Boonen (OPQ)
Pablo Lastras (MOV)
Filippo Pozzato (FAR)
Johan Vansummeren (GRM)
Kris Boeckmans (VCD)
Valentin Iglinksiy (AST)
Maarten Tjallingii (RAB)
Stijn Vandenbergh (OPQ)

Ok thats my team

I made a couple of changes last minute (now) just in from the pub, so i may regret them, I was going to have, so you can all slate me if these guys win

Heinrich Haussler and Maxim Iglinsky instead of Pozzato and Tjallingii  39

Raleigh replied to veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes
veseunr wrote:

Do you get free transfers if picked riders withdraw now (I've used all transfers already).

Matti Breschel is looking doubtful.  2

Thats why you make your transfers on the night before the race.

Lesson Learnt, I hope.  19  19

TERatcliffe26 replied to allezrider | 12 years ago
0 likes
allezrider wrote:

Has anybody else picked up on Grieple being taken to hospital on Thursday? He's still showing on the start list (not that that means anything yet). Sagan (P) is no longer showing as a reserve either, unless they're going to swap him in for his bro and hope nobody notices!

Not noticed, but he wont be anywhere near my team anyway. Toying between a few options now leukemans is out.

Think they did that with the sagans on a race earlier (not one on the game, maybe E3 or one like that)

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Provisional team picked, got 30 credits left, could easily "upgrade" Flecha and Ballan for EBH and Hushovd but not sure its really worth it, something to mull over before the deadline.

Personally I'd stick with what you've got, probably my choice as well but waiting to make sure everyone I want is really going to ride. Using up credits isn't that important.

TERatcliffe26 replied to londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

I can understand why people are asking for additional transfers. Three of my riders who rode in Tour of Flanders aren't riding tomorrow - Sagan, Florencio and Cancellera. Luckily, I've been able to swap them out for riders who I wanted to put in in any case.

The question therefore is presumably - should you automatically be given an additional free transfer for each rider that is greyed out? You would then though give an unfair competitive advantage to teams like mine. I would effectively have 7 transfers.

On the basis that the Pro Teams are potentially selecting completely different teams for the ride tomorrow, everyone should get 9 transfers. It seems bad that people should score lower because they haven't been able to transfer people in. Failing that, greyed out riders should be given a +1 transfer.

I'm open to comments/observations on this.

Yeh but thats just the luck of the draw, why should someone have say 7 transfers to my 4 just because they have more greyed out riders?
Everyone has the same 4 transfer rule
I planned well (1 rider greyed out) have 4 transfers, could have had 6 if i had wanted to save from last time as as i only needed to make 1 change, but chose to make more.

There is no way it would be fair just to hand out transfers for greyed out riders, that woud be unfair.

I also wouldn't say they are completely changing rosters, defo less than 50% of riders have changed. And some have been unfortunate/enforced in the case of leukemans nad breschel due to injury

So its either the way it is, with transfers which is fine by me as it makes it tactical, the harder the better, why make it easy? Or have unlimited transfers.
And if i didnt have a full team then that would be tough, as its the current rules.

drheaton replied to Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Personally I'd stick with what you've got, probably my choice as well but waiting to make sure everyone I want is really going to ride. Using up credits isn't that important.

In the end I decided greater strength in depth was worth more than two big names. Final team is:

Boonen, Ballan, Flecha, Pozzatto, Vansummeren, Devolder, Paolini, Iglinsky, Willems with 14 credits left. Ideally I should have saved some transfers as my 4 pre Flanders were all poor but c'est la vie.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I very much doubt Florencio will ride Alan. He's not listed as a sub, So i think he'll be resting

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

And why aren't Hoste Hoste's team are not invited so he along with Canc are definitely out. We'll see about the others in a few more days. No-one should confirm their team till Sat night unless they have to.

I hope Florencio rides though, but it was always going to be difficult to second-guess the team managers and Canc's injury has changed everything.

0 likes

sagan, preliminary as they dont want to over do it, but injuries mean he should ride

again with others, they dont want to over do it, and remember the next 3 after roubaix all occur within a week!

Its tough, i planned well though, Devolder and Sagan not racing, but planned for that and know my 4 transfers so long as no injuries occur

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

4 of my riders are 'greyed out', but if i pick replacements now, they'll cry off with a bit of a cold.
 20  20  20  14  14  14

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Unlucky Alan, I've got 6 transfers and only 4 none riders so far  19

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd hold off on making any changes if you can, because i see a few riders that are in the Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco, so might not ride P-R

0 likes

thanks gkam

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Peter not definitely out, he's still listed as a sub, but no Flo

Alan Tullett replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Peter not definitely out, he's still listed as a sub, but no Flo

Oh shit. I might have 5 not in P-R and 4 transfers. Please ride Peter, forget all I said about overdoing it!

On the leaving-it-late front; some crashes in Scheldeprijs as well. Maybe some more broken collarbones.

Kittel won from Farrar by the way.

0 likes

is peter sagan and florencio out for definite?

0 likes

The majority of the team helping Hushovd? I disagree, i think the team will be behind the leader Ballan, he has mainly gone well at roubaix and has form

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I know I am a patriot, but I am actually putting in Hushovd and Boasson Hagen.

Hushovd has one, uno, ein goal for the year - to win Paris-Roubaix. I think he will be hanging in there until he breaks down and dies  10 Bsides he said before the Tour of Flanders that he doesen't really like that race.

So for roubaix, Hushovd will have the majority of the team to help him, and a couple of free roles (Van Avermaet, maybe?) and I think he will deffo be up there.

Eddy the Boss I think showed that he handles the cobbles pretty well. Was hindered by Vansummeren in that little shunt and used a lot of energy trying to get back. And as the man said himself (with a wink, that is) "I am not saying that I would have won, but I would have doen alot better [if I wasn't caught in the crash]"

For Sky, they will probably do the same as the Flanders race were EBH is the captain, and Flecha is a free role rider.

But the big, huge, number one favourite must be Boonen.

Pages

Latest Comments