Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice wanted from Garmin users

I recently bought a 2nd hand Garmin Edge 305 and it didn't come with a software disc so I have been to Garmin's website to download software for uploading my routes. There are 7 different versions (excluding the 2 Mac versions) with little to explain what is what.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

Could anybody that knows please point me to the correct download for me?
I'm using windows 7, a Garmin Edge 305 with heart rate monitor and I'm a statistics junkie so I'm looking for the most in-depth option please!

Thanks in advance,

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Richthornton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to your advice TheBigMong, I had a very nicely tracked ride on Friday with no apparent GPS issues. Cheers

0 likes
TheBigMong wrote:

Some units also use ANT+ to sync with the PC but as mentioned, most of the Edge units do that via USB instead.

Yes, the Edge 305 syncs with USB. So I've now downloaded version 3.6.5 as suggested by bazzargh, synced and had a little play with it so that is not an issue. Thanks for your help with that.

bazzargh wrote:

I never particularly liked Garmin's training center. There are alternatives - all you need to do is copy your files off the 305.

I agree, at first look the training centre is not particularly impressive, and looks like it needs bringing up to the 21st century. I'm more than happy enough with Endomondo and Strava and it couldn't be easier to upload from the Edge to those sites.

TheBigMong wrote:

Did you let the unit initialize and find all of the satellites on its own, or did you push buttons to get past the initial screen?

I pushed past the initial screen, didn't realise I had to do that.

TheBigMong wrote:

Sometimes when you travel long distances between uses, or when it's been several weeks since you last used the Garmin (either could apply since you got yours 2nd-hand) the Garmin tries to sync up to the same satellites it used last time, even though they might not provide the best tracking for where you are now.

I suspect both of these are the case, particularly the distance issue judging by the sender's address and titles of his saved routes.
Thanks for pointing these things out, I'll do a soft reset and see if it improves tomorrow.

bazzargh wrote:

I tend to use the GPS more on the road than off, telling me how far I have to go and encouraging me to keep the average speed up.

Interesting point this: For years I wouldn't ride anywhere without a computer for average speed and distance travelled mainly. A couple of months ago mine popped off and met a nasty fate under the wheels of a lorry, this Edge 305 is the replacement for it. So for the past few months I've been riding with no data in front of me, just having my phone tracking the ride from the back pocket, to be referred to at the end of the ride. I've found that I was spending far too much time with my head down, focussing on the figures rather than the road. As a result I really feel that my riding technique has improved quite a bit in this time, I've enjoyed my rides a lot more and ridden further and more often as a result. It won't stop me mounting the Edge on the stem but I'll be aiming to avoid constantly looking at it during my ride, maybe by turning the contrast right down.

bazzargh | 12 years ago
0 likes

GPS is well known for robbing you of miles, but its not something I ever lost sleep over. I tend to use the GPS more on the road than off, telling me how far I have to go and encouraging me to keep the average speed up.

Do you have a sensor on your wheel? The speed/distance measurements should be more accurate with that.

TheBigMong | 12 years ago
0 likes

ANT+ is actually what the Garmin uses to sync with your heart rate monitor, speed/cadence sensor, power meter, etc. Some units also use ANT+ to sync with the PC but as mentioned, most of the Edge units do that via USB instead. No worries, though, it's probably already loaded and there shouldn't be any need to download that seperately.

The poor reception you describe is NOT normal. It could be caused by a lot of things...

Did you let the unit initialize and find all of the satellites on its own, or did you push buttons to get past the initial screen? If you rushed through the startup and started your workout when only a couple of the satellite transponders were sync'ed, you'd get pretty bad tracking.

Sometimes when you travel long distances between uses, or when it's been several weeks since you last used the Garmin (either could apply since you got yours 2nd-hand) the Garmin tries to sync up to the same satellites it used last time, even though they might not provide the best tracking for where you are now.

I think there's a "soft reset" procedure you can do when you turn the unit on that makes it "forget" which satellites it used before and it will then automatically scan for the best ones for your current location. It just takes a lot longer, so you should only do it if things don't seem right. (I used to do this with my Forerunner 305 quite a bit.)

If all else fails, try warranty support. After years of faithful service, my Forerunner 305 died one day and Garmin was very helpful in getting it fixed. I didn't have the serial number (sticker was gone) and I had bought it used so I was expecting the run-around, but after trying a bunch of troubleshooting, software updates, etc. they just said send it back to Garmin and $75 later I had a shiny new (well, refurbed) unit with all the latest chips, new battery, updated firmware, software, etc.

bazzargh replied to TheBigMong | 12 years ago
0 likes

The ANT+ sensors with the Edge 305 don't link with the PC, because they don't store any data. All the data from the heart monitor and the GSC10 sensor both go to the head unit (the Edge 305). What's more the Edge 305 doesn't come with the ANT+ USB stick, so there's no way for the PC to pick up those signals! It's pointless installing the ANT+ drivers on the PC. Don't confuse the guy  3

0 likes

Thanks a lot, I do already use Strava and Endomondo and intend to continue doing so but never having used Garmin's training centre I definitely want to give it a try.

Incidentally, after tracking my ride today (first use) simultaneously with the Garmin and my phone, the Garmin came out as considerably less accurate, lots of straight lies between two points where the road actually turned a fair bit this way and that. It actually resulted in 'losing' about 4 miles over the course of 50 which is not the sort of performance I was expecting, especially as it was bought primarily because my phone's GPS signal is usually terrible. Would you say this is normal? I was using Smart Recording, but I think I'll try Every Second next time although the manual states it can only record 3.5 hours of data in this mode. Have I wasted my money?

CDK1962 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Rich,

The latest version of the Training Centre should give you everything you need.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3741

Rgds,

Colin

bazzargh | 12 years ago
0 likes

You want this one:
Training Center, Ver. 3.6.5, as of Aug 25, 2011

The ant agent is for devices like the Forerunner that connect using the Ant+ protocol. The 305 uses USB (as I recall).

The legacy versions support reading older training center files, you don't need that.

I never particularly liked Garmin's training center. There are alternatives - all you need to do is copy your files off the 305. eg take a look at these.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/
http://www.strava.com/

Latest Comments