Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Newbie road cyclist getting his summer gear. Any Rapha discount or free delivery codes?

Hello,

Is there a discount or free delivery code for some gear i need to buy? I cannot use my winter gear anymore due to temperatures and I have no summer gear since I started cycling in winter. I am interested in buying a Rapha discount item that will not make me eligible for free delivery.

Any help?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

@boardmanrider - I'd find it less surprising if cycling was a cheap sport in the first place, but given the expense of the sport in general, it's bordering on the comicly ironic.

FWIW, I've got a Rapha (etape commemorative) jersey, that cost me the same as the fancy carbon bottlecage that's on the front page right now. I thought that was great value.

boardmanrider | 12 years ago
0 likes

As I have said before, I'm a big fan of Rapha, own lots of stuff. I ride a pretty average bike, a Boardman Team Carbon. I don't race, just commute 400km a week. I want to be comfortable, warm or cool when required. I can't justify spending €2000 on a ZIPP wheelset. I rode past 2 groups yesterday, one fella looked like he was ready to explode on his ZIPP 404s.

Bottom line, Rapha gear is expensive but I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Soft Shell jacket. My Gilet is near perfect after 3 years. It's high performance clothing which is just as expensive as some of the ASSOS or Castelli gear.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of bashing Rapha gets because of their price. I know loads of people who spend fortunes on jeans, shoes and handbags and nothing is said.

Low Speed Wobble | 12 years ago
0 likes

torm.cc - been a bit quiet of late, since they upset Rapha, but they are still there with the same great value collection as before.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

I know what others are saying, but Rapha kit is really nice, and if you can afford to treat yourself, why not? Kupepe might like designer clothing in general, are you all going to tell him to shop at George@asda instead?

Anyway, I have a refer-a-friend thingy, which gives us both 10% off and free postage, but it needs to be your first order, and you need to spend £100+. PM me if you're interested (or if anyone else is).

davecochrane | 12 years ago
0 likes

It is expensive, but the stuff I have gets used hard and so far looks like lasting a long time. Buy crap, buy twice. Merino mixes don't smell and are very comfy. True, it won't make you fitter or quicker, but by the rationale in some comments you'd be as well riding a kid's bike wearing rags. Do what makes you happy. I have some "normal" kit too, such as a long sleeve shirt from my LBS, but it reeks severely even with an undershirt on (perhaps that's just me...?). If I could afford to, I'd have all my gear from Rapha.

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

Rapha is expensive but damn, it's bloody lovely. I've never bought anything at full price but I've queued up in the sample sale twice. Was it worth it? Not really, the savings I made would have been offset by a morning working (i'm a freelancer) but on the other hand, if you've nothing better to do....

I've got a small top that doesn't fit me, if that's of any use? It's the Galibier one. Never worn, would sell for 50 quid posted.

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Rapha don't do voucher codes (except in exceptional circumstances) as they're Rapha and want to protect their premium brand image.I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear that for new cyclists, there website's the first port of call for clothing.

Get any decent wicking shirt on (including footy top) and get out and enjoy the feeling of pelting along with the sun on your back and the wind through your bibtights. It's ace.

However, if you want to be seen as cool in the queue for some overpriced sportive then a few quid postage is surely a small price to pay.

Now, what's the best razor for shaving my legs? My budget's £200...

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

There's plenty of quality kit out there at a fraction of the cost of Rapha gear. You don't have to have the Rapha logo to be a cyclist. Most of my kit is altura which I've never had issue with and is long lasting and comfy. My only extravagance over the years has been my shoes and a pair of Castelli bib shorts  4

Marauder | 12 years ago
0 likes

I noticed a post above re Lidl selling cheap cycling gear.

If I was just starting out I would check them out first then you don't pull too much out in one go. I can't vouch for the quality but my wife is going to have a look at the weekend so I think I will tag along and see if there is anything I would like too. This all depends on if there is a Lidl near you of course.

I have seen some OK kit in Soccer Sport - I don't really want to endorse the company being a Geordie and all but they arn't bad IMO and would serve until you got some more cash to spend on quality gear.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I noticed you got a warm reception to Rapha on Bike Radar aswell, I think everyone is simply trying to say, don't pay over the odds for overpriced gear

1, It does not improve your cycling
2, As a "newbie" to road cycling, your being advised to look elsewhere at better and cheaper alternatives for very good reason's, you might not stick with the road, you may not enjoy it, you can get the same and better quality items for alot less
3, As with everything clothing in life, there at top end designer brands which only a few dedicate themselves to and select others can afford all the time, thats why you will find people telling you to look else where

We are only trying to be helpful and give you our advice, if you cant find a code through google, then i doubt anyone else will find one for you, Rapha codes do seem far and few between unless they have a special reason to give them out  3

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

For freepost go here http://lookbook.rapha.cc/rapha-city-riding and click on share. you need to enter 3 email addresses but they don't validate them!

While I like a bit of Rapha (especially the base layers) I do think its poor that you have to spend a couple of hundred quid before you get free postage especially as wiggle, crc and the like will give you free postage even on just an inner tube.

kupepe | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thank your for your opinions .. now anyone who can gimme a code ?  1

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you have to ask for a discount at rapha then you can't afford it  4  4

malmesburyclarioncc | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sports wool hard to look after my base layer looks like a string vest. Moths.

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

1) You don't need to buy Rapha  10

Rapha (in my opinion) is just posh, overpriced, and doesn't serve more purpose than most other mid-priced gear out there.

Will save you some money and get to buy some more other stuff. Chainreactioncycles does free delivery past 100€

Latest Comments