Wheel Upgrade for Chris Boardman 2010 Team Carbon

by SammyG   March 21, 2012  

I currently have the standard Ritchey Pro DS that came with my Boardman Team Carbon. I am thinking about upgrading my wheels to perhaps the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's.

Is it worth upgrading? If so is this the best upgrade? They cost around £760.

Cheers!

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Have you considered the planet-x wheels ??

They have a higher spoke count which will make them much stiffer and their hand built, again this will make them much stiffer.

Only £500.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBPX52CCLHBPC/planet_x_52mm_carbon_c...

Spend the £250 on more race entries, better tyres and beer.

posted by ashleybrookes86... [9 posts]
21st March 2012 - 12:06

1 Like

Aye they look alright, worth paying £50 less for the non-handbuilt ones?

posted by SammyG [295 posts]
21st March 2012 - 12:41

1 Like

I got Shimano Ultegra wheels, not Carbon, but good for uk roads. They're far cheaper & you can go clincher or tubeless.

posted by mowatb [20 posts]
21st March 2012 - 13:05

3 Likes

Well hand built wheels are much less likely to be become un-true or break a spoke in a pot hole as someone has spent a few hours checking it over... which means you ll be saving money on truing the wheel in future.

Plus your giving and old cycling legend a bit of beer money, that has to be worth it ?

posted by ashleybrookes86... [9 posts]
21st March 2012 - 14:08

2 Likes

second on the ultegra 6700. got them for £199 from planet x. 1600g and lovely.

posted by russyparkin [578 posts]
21st March 2012 - 18:57

0 Likes

American Classic 420 are less than £500, 1550g and strong, stiff aero.

American Classic 350 Sprint ony about £350 and 1410g. Beat that fro non-carbon!

Nothing lighter for the price.

posted by Bobbys boys [81 posts]
21st March 2012 - 19:59

0 Likes

think weight, stiffness and use:

I have kysirium sl's as they are the cheapest sub 1500 grams wheelset at this price, that stiff, and for me:

-important was cartridge bearings (cannot be doing with cup and cone shimano and fulcrums unless I have to) and

-tubeless capability (no rimside spoke holes) is important for me as I wanted to run road tubeless, and hate rim tape

-they look amazing Smile

with aero, I got planet-x R50 as:

- they were £500 and the ones I really wanted (mavic SLR, firecrest, enve) were silly money,

-the mavics I could bring myself to pay for were dog heavy, and

-the shimanos had cup and cones which are a pita to maintain, and a pita to get the friction back to factory level after maintenance...

downer was that they were tubs, but as a positive they were only 1296g, in balance, and taking the fact that I like change, so took tubs as a challenge and opportunity.

since then very happy with both, both true as they were when I bought them, bearing still great despite loads of miles on the mavics, the only thing is that the mavic hub/spoke interface started making clunking noises until I cleaned them: they are a dust trap and I cannot tell you how long it took me to work this out (changed grank and pedal bearings, cassette, chain, tried diff QR...

roadie come mountain biker come single speeder and back again

posted by cborrman [84 posts]
22nd March 2012 - 11:47

1 Like

Upgraded from Ksyrium Elites to Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 C24 CL Clinchers. £550 from Planet X, best buy I've made yet. Faster, lighter and smooth as an eel in a bucket of snot.

Manglier's picture

posted by Manglier [76 posts]
25th March 2012 - 11:59

0 Likes

you may want to check out the soul S2.0's they had a great review from the guys at road cc and I am have them on offer at the moment, they are about as light as you can get anywhere at just 1330grams a pair, current price is £517 inc uk shipping.

racewheelsdirect's picture

posted by racewheelsdirect [21 posts]
25th March 2012 - 17:27

0 Likes

Cheers for the advice guys, think I will stick with the Carbones as I am not too worried about the weight and want to get the MP3 warranty so I can thrash them Big Grin

posted by SammyG [295 posts]
26th March 2012 - 19:51

0 Likes