Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel Upgrade for Chris Boardman 2010 Team Carbon

I currently have the standard Ritchey Pro DS that came with my Boardman Team Carbon. I am thinking about upgrading my wheels to perhaps the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's.

Is it worth upgrading? If so is this the best upgrade? They cost around £760.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

spongebob | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the advice guys, think I will stick with the Carbones as I am not too worried about the weight and want to get the MP3 warranty so I can thrash them  4

racewheelsdirect | 12 years ago
0 likes

you may want to check out the soul S2.0's they had a great review from the guys at road cc and I am have them on offer at the moment, they are about as light as you can get anywhere at just 1330grams a pair, current price is £517 inc uk shipping.

Spangly Shiny | 12 years ago
0 likes

Upgraded from Ksyrium Elites to Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 C24 CL Clinchers. £550 from Planet X, best buy I've made yet. Faster, lighter and smooth as an eel in a bucket of snot.

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

think weight, stiffness and use:

I have kysirium sl's as they are the cheapest sub 1500 grams wheelset at this price, that stiff, and for me:

-important was cartridge bearings (cannot be doing with cup and cone shimano and fulcrums unless I have to) and

-tubeless capability (no rimside spoke holes) is important for me as I wanted to run road tubeless, and hate rim tape

-they look amazing  1

with aero, I got planet-x R50 as:

- they were £500 and the ones I really wanted (mavic SLR, firecrest, enve) were silly money,

-the mavics I could bring myself to pay for were dog heavy, and

-the shimanos had cup and cones which are a pita to maintain, and a pita to get the friction back to factory level after maintenance...

downer was that they were tubs, but as a positive they were only 1296g, in balance, and taking the fact that I like change, so took tubs as a challenge and opportunity.

since then very happy with both, both true as they were when I bought them, bearing still great despite loads of miles on the mavics, the only thing is that the mavic hub/spoke interface started making clunking noises until I cleaned them: they are a dust trap and I cannot tell you how long it took me to work this out (changed grank and pedal bearings, cassette, chain, tried diff QR...

Bobbys boys | 12 years ago
0 likes

American Classic 420 are less than £500, 1550g and strong, stiff aero.

American Classic 350 Sprint ony about £350 and 1410g. Beat that fro non-carbon!

Nothing lighter for the price.

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

second on the ultegra 6700. got them for £199 from planet x. 1600g and lovely.

ashleybrookes86... | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well hand built wheels are much less likely to be become un-true or break a spoke in a pot hole as someone has spent a few hours checking it over... which means you ll be saving money on truing the wheel in future.

Plus your giving and old cycling legend a bit of beer money, that has to be worth it ?

mowatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got Shimano Ultegra wheels, not Carbon, but good for uk roads. They're far cheaper & you can go clincher or tubeless.

spongebob | 12 years ago
0 likes

Aye they look alright, worth paying £50 less for the non-handbuilt ones?

ashleybrookes86... | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered the planet-x wheels ??

They have a higher spoke count which will make them much stiffer and their hand built, again this will make them much stiffer.

Only £500.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBPX52CCLHBPC/planet_x_52mm_carbon_c...

Spend the £250 on more race entries, better tyres and beer.

Latest Comments