Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelset £400 or less - what to go for?

Advice or general thoughts please.

Looking for a good all-round wheelset for up to £400, but preferably less.

They're to go on a pretty lightweight build, so I'd like to keep shaving off grams if possible. I'm about 70kg so shouldn't have too many problems with lighter and more delicate wheels.

I've been pondering a few wheels:
Campagnolo Zonda
Mavic Krysium Elite (a smidge over budget but oh so tempting)
Fulcrum Racing 3
Shimano Ultegra 6700

I've got Pro-Lite Bracchianos on my other bike, so they're out for this one.

Any experience? Any other wheels to add to my shopping list?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

what about mavic cxp 33,s hand built, not the lightest but a very good allround wheel set, good spoke count which helps, mine cost 206 pound from lbs plus you would have plenty of change to buy other things  3

Ben Burns | 11 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone on here used the Planet-X carbon 50mm clinchers (currently on their site for £500)?

If I was looking to spend £400 on a set of wheels I would probably try and push a little higher in my budget for these.....although I've never actually seen anyone ride them?

RS80's seem a pretty popular choice though........maybe a wheel upgrade is on the cards next year!

Ben Burns replied to Ben Burns | 11 years ago
0 likes
Ben Burns wrote:

RS80's seem a pretty popular choice though........maybe a wheel upgrade is on the cards next year!

But I probably won't be buying a pair of RS80's when I come to upgrade......please see one of the other forum posts on getting a spoke fixed with Shimano wheels (nightmare)!

hornjik | 11 years ago
0 likes

just wondering what the RS80's are like against the pro-lites?

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use Continental Race 28 Light, which are about half the weight of a standard inner tube, without being too delicate. Are also butyl, so don't loose air as fast as a latex inner tube.

nellybuck@msn.com | 12 years ago
0 likes

This has also swung it for me, just waiting for a cheque to clear then it's an upgrade to RS80's.
I was going to put Schwalbe Durano S tyres on them following positive comments elsewhere on this site, but was wondering about inner tubes. Never really given them a thought and just buy whatever's cheapest - given the investment in decent wheels and tyres, should I be getting better tubes? If so, what should I look for?

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sod it, RS80s it is then. My mate rides the DAC24s and loves em, so I reckon they're a good bet.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

I would also suggest RS80s. Wish I could find £300 for a pair myself!

alotronic | 12 years ago
0 likes

Planet X have RS80s for 299. I know, I've been staring at them and trying not to buy for a long time... spring treat perhaps?

GerardR | 12 years ago
0 likes

I bought some Ultegra 6700s from Planet-X on special, paying only NZD400 (about GBP200) and love them. If you're not in a hurry, just keep an eye on the websites for specials.

nick nick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Being a poor relation to you lot, I am the proud owner of some new Shimano WH-R500'S. I'm gobbsmacked how much difference they have made to the response of my pedalling efforts. I thought my Alex R500's were a semi decent wheel, but these new ones are a whole level better. I think my input to this debate is fairly irrelevant, but whatever wheel you decide to go for I would strongly recommend that you take care to have them trued and loobed regularly and proffesionally. (nothing worse than a keen amateur)  3

Bedfordshire Clanger | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm very happy with my Zondas, nice and quick, look good too.

psychonabike | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've just upgraded to Ksyrium Elites and they are superb. Light and responsive, and nicely bling too. Merlin are doing them for £375 delivered. I also looked at RS80s and found them for £299 from Planet X, and Ribble are doing good deals on Fulcrum Racing 3s too. I'm mightily impressed with my Mavics though

0 likes

Reading up on the American Classics, they seem amazing but weak. Since I'm after an all-round wheel, i reckon the RS80s are a better bet?

SamShaw | 12 years ago
0 likes

What about American Classic Sprint 350's?

I only hear good things about American Classics, I nearly bought a set myself before deciding on Pro-Lite Bracciano's as they suited the look of my bike better. The American Classics can be quite blingy...

http://www.burls.co.uk/shop/american-classic-sprint-350-wheelset-p-820.html

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

A quick google 'shopping' search shows Ribble selling the RS80 wheelset for £336.

Zermattjohn | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've got some 6700 Ultegra's, made a massive difference to my bike, well worth it - when you accelerate you actually go! However, see my post from today about tyres - if these RS80's are the same be aware of how difficult it is to get certain tyres on. I can only guess its the height of the rims, and reading some other posts here it seems the RS80's are very similar to 6700's.

0 likes

Hmm, you lot are selling me on the RS80s!

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra 6700s are not as good as the RS80s, which have the clever part carbon rim. They share the rim with the C24 dura ace 7900 wheel set, just the hub differs. From reading reviews the rim does well with potholes and similar. I'm planning on getting a set for the spring, they'll knock 500g or more off the weight of my RS10s. Confusing of Shimano to have both r/rs ranges and tiara / ultra / 105 / dura-ace some of which overlap and some don't.

0 likes

The RS80s are the carbon/alloy laminate ones?
Does the carbon stand up to scuzzy potholed country lanes well?

carlgrz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Another vote here for the RS80's. Had mine about 6 months and they are great. They are pretty light at around 1500g and are a perfect all round wheelset. The same rim is used on the dura ace C24's with different hubs.

Adam Buckland_ASD | 12 years ago
0 likes

RS80's or Racing 3's at this price point, either are brilliant value. Just decide which type of hub bearing you want as RS80's are C and C but the Fulcrum's are fully sealed units.

Adam Buckland_ASD | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oops, double post...

jimmo62 | 12 years ago
0 likes

My Ksyrium Elites are fantastic and have lasted really well.... worth stretching for if you can

giladj | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got the Shimano RS80 (that I think is the same as the Shimano Ultegra 6700, but I'm not sure) on my old Bianchi
I'm no expert , but the bike seems to fly
and the swoosh from the wheels is mesmerizing ...

Latest Comments