Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

3D Printed Cycle Parts including a Garmin Mount

I have recently set up a new company using my experience of 3D printing to bring out a range of bike related components. These items will be made from using 3D printing technology SLS in Nylon or DMLS in Titanium and heading up the line will be a Garmin mount for both road bikes at TT bikes, a customisable bottle cage and a range of bike related iphone covers. All items can be tailored to your exact requirements. Pictures of the parts can be seen here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/RaceWare-Direct/283022...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that tip about reprap, put me onto another thought base.

I originally thought about getting one just as a learning base and make some custom chess sets to recoup some of the outlay. Something along those lines.

How long do you think before you could print a working bike frame? or does the tech exist to do it already?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have any specific parts in mind, I was just interested in Ti as i've not seen many companies using it for 3d. Still on the expensive side but then again, most metals are.

I'm still pondering the idea of getting a print bot machine http://printrbot.com

After missing out on their Kickstarter campaign

But i also have a friend with a Z-corp 310 who prints loads of things out, models, cases, fans. The cost of his machine was around £17.000  19 crazy money

racewheelsdirect replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,

No probs regarding the reply. We are one of just a few companies offering Ti. £17,000 is a bargain really, our machines are nearer £500,000 which is why not so many people run them, we currently have 4 metal machines and 6 plastic machines. If you want a good value home machine you should check out the reprap machine, it works out about $500 i believe and is actually not bad. The price of Ti parts is falling and I believe I can make certain parts at affordable prices. I can certainly make things like headset spacers and ahead top caps at an affordable cost and these can be any size and have custom text added.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good idea, I've been watching 3d printing for years waiting for it to become more affordable.

Couple of questions for you.

How expensive is it to do it in titanium?

Whats the max size you can do?

racewheelsdirect replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

If you want further information about prices etc for building your own parts then please feel free to contact me at work during my day job. I work for a company called 3T RPD and we are leaders in 3D printing. We run Titanium 6-4 and can build parts up to 250mm x 250mm x 300mm. However the price is not great, our min order charge is £500 and that would be a fairly small piece. However if you have a specific bike part making that would become viable for me to sell to others then I may be able to help. I am already working on a few parts in Ti and have just supplied some custom Titanium parts to the Torq Triathlon Team for the new Willier bike.

Latest Comments