Home

me again,

i need a cheapish pump please to do the rd puncture thing with.  14
ive got a pump that doesa my mtb bikes ok, but i know it aint got enuf ooomph to do road tyre/tubes!

it must fit in my rear pockets or bumb bag.  1

Ta

10 comments

Raleigh [1667 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

This one has it all:
Cheap
Powerful
Small (99mm)
A funny name
Comes in Carbon

The Airbone Mini Pump

giff77 [1260 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

A lot of the minipumps struggle once you get up to 60 odd psi and need a bit of oomph to get it up anywhere near what you need. At least that's my experience. I'm currently using one of the blackburns which does the job (just about). I also carry CO2 cartridges in case the weather is really rubbish as it means my hands don't turn into blocks of ice while trying to pump up a tyre

Toppeak also seem to have a few good mini pumps

giff77 [1260 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

@ Raleigh - cool, colour coded pumps  4 my blackburn started off white but is now a grubby grey  2

worthydolt [13 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I've been using a Lezyne alloy drive for about 2 years now. Not sure of your definition of cheap but this doesn't fall under mine. Nonetheless, I figured it worth spending a few bob on something dependable given how much fun it is standing by the roadside in sub-zero temperatures, waiting for the missus to come and rescue me.
After a huge number of strokes, it'll get your tyre to an acceptable pressure. All mini pumps suffer from that problem. The good thing about this one is its built-in hose that means you're not stressing the valve. Not cheap, but I really rate it

Super Domestique [1613 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

What price range?

Big Lezyne fan here so if they are in budget grab one.

zzgavin [193 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

the lezyne pressure drive medium sized one is about 25 pounds, it's great, especially with the hose. Newer ones have a clever pressure release valve and will work with the CO2 canisters as well.

dave atkinson [6296 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I currently use one of these:

http://road.cc/content/review/39631-birzman-horizons-pump-prestaschrader

it's not the smallest, lightest or cheapest but it's genuinely capable of 100psi on the side of the road, in the rain. which is worth more than any of those other things. fits in a jersey pocket okay...

lazyusername [101 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the lezyne hp road drive.

Doesn't qualify as cheap but you can get 100psi without much trouble and is really easy to attach to valve (it screws on) so when pumping up to req pressure it doesn't come off and there's no chance of knackering the valve oh and it's shiny if you're a magpie

Paulo [112 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes
lazyusername wrote:

+1 for the lezyne hp road drive.

Doesn't qualify as cheap but you can get 100psi without much trouble and is really easy to attach to valve (it screws on) so when pumping up to req pressure it doesn't come off and there's no chance of knackering the valve oh and it's shiny if you're a magpie

Me too, the hose is a feature I've always wanted on mini pumps  1

Simon E [2985 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Another Lezyne fan here. Pressure Drive small can fit in the Topeak medium seat pack or slips into jersey pocket. The compact, tough but nicely finished alloy body plus the double-ended hose make it a pleasure to carry and use. Spend wisely and you won't regret it.