Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fizik Arione Snapped

Riding home on Friday evening I went over a bump and heard a big "crack" from my saddle. The body of it has snapped. I think this must be pretty unusual. I've never had a saddle break before (I'm only 73 kg). Fortunately it held together, so I could ride home seated. It was an Arione "K:ium" model, not a fancy carbon one or anything.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes, it was the plastic shell of my saddle which cracked across its width, not the rails. I thought that matrs was saying that the Ti rails of his toupe saddle cracked, but re-reading his post, I'm not sure.

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

i had an Arione crack, heard the noise in the middle of a race and carried on unknowingly, it was some weeks later that i discovered it was the saddle, it had been on a mountainbike for 'some time' though so wasn't overly vexed

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

It was on my winter commuter, and I've ridden it for three winters. That's something like 12,000 km (I commute 8,000 km annually). So I got a reasonable amount of use out of it, I think.

I've heard of Ti saddle rails failing @matrs. I deliberately bought this model of Arione with steel rails (that's what "k:ium" is, I believe).

graemeshaw replied to cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

@cat1commuter if the body has cracked, then surely the composition of the rails are irrelevant?

When mine broke it was the plastic shell of the saddle that cracked across its width, the rails were still fine.

matrs | 12 years ago
0 likes

My Specialized toupe ti rails have just cracked following three years of hard single speed mountain bike use, it was a sad and painful day  43

graemeshaw | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had a Fizik Arione go exactly the same way before Christmas. Heard a crack while riding, couldn't work out what the noise was and then a couple of days later spotted the cracked saddle while in the garage.

Mine would have had thousands of miles on it, and I'm heavier than 73kg, so I just put it down to things not lasting forever and replaced it.

Latest Comments