Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Milan - San Remo

Well folks, as the dust settles on a cracking Paris Nice race the clock has started ticking for the Milan San Remo race.

Checked various web sites and can only find part team line ups listed so lets hope it's not a last minute thing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

173 comments

nickobec replied to thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes FDJ

Squad
BONNET William
CHAINEL Steve
GERARD Arnaud
GESLIN Anthony
LADAGNOUS Matthieu
RASCH Gabriel
ROLLIN Dominique
VICHOT Arthur

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thing is, I need the Walloon, Spartacus, Manx Express, Tommeke, Eddy and Peter all in the same team.

But I can't  19

So I've only got a few of them.

Also need the Dutch Australian Canadese man.

I have no idea where he's from, but his first name is an anagram of Chin Heir

orli replied to nickobec | 12 years ago
0 likes
nickobec wrote:

Another issue... [is] the bracket creep of riders who were DS last year to star riders...

I wish we could get that issue fixed... It's a little disheartening...  2

lucas replied to meninblack | 12 years ago
0 likes
meninblack wrote:

... I'm... choosing 4 sprinters (Cavendish, Greipel, Farrar, Sagan, Petacchi, Boonen, Bennati, Haussler,...) or 4 allrounders (Cancellara, Gilbert, Ballan, Breschel, Van Avermaet, Boom, Nibali, Pozzato...) but... I will not combine sprinters and allrounders, so, white or black, 200 points or 0 points...

Brave man! I think I'll go for a mix! I like Greipel and Farrar but I just don't know if they'll hang till the end!  7

Cipollini won this, right? And Cavendish, but I have little faith that these two might make the final selection... Have Greipel or Farrar raced this before?...

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I wish offredo was riding  2 he was my scret weapon

nickobec replied to lucas | 12 years ago
0 likes
lucas wrote:

Cipollini won this, right?

lucas wrote:

And Cavendish,

lucas wrote:

but I have little faith that these two might make the final selection... Have Greipel or Farrar raced this before?...

2011, Griepel was with the leading group, but got dropped on one final climbs and finished 4 minutes down.

2011, Farrar main bunch 5 minutes back, 2010 again main bunch this time 1:40 back

Squiggle replied to meninblack | 12 years ago
0 likes
meninblack wrote:

I will not combine sprinters and allrounders, so, white or black, 200 points or 0 points haha  3

Let me know which way you go so I can stack my team in the opposite strategy!

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

3 of my DS would have scored 41 points in the past. The other 2 haven't raced but are on cracking form!

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

The RADIOSHACK NISSAN TREK line-up for Milan-Sanremo:

Milan-Sanremo (Italy) – UCI WorldTour (March 17)
Riders: Daniele Bennati, Fabian Cancellara, Tony Gallopin, Markel Irizar, Yaroslav Popovych, Gregory Rast, Hayden Roulston & Robert Wagner
Director: Luca Guercilena

Simon_MacMichael replied to lucas | 12 years ago
0 likes
lucas wrote:

Brave man! I think I'll go for a mix! I like Greipel and Farrar but I just don't know if they'll hang till the end!  7

If Farrar's not there at the end, who's going to lead out Cav...?

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looking at the profile the two lumps at the end might not seem to big for a pro cyclist but taking into account they have just raced over 250k it MIGHT be to much for a lot of the pure sprinters.

Might take the risk off loading up on the likes of Thor and Boonen and foregoing Cav etc.  39

0 likes

Breaking news - Wiggo in for Knees, according to IG Markets.

Stumps replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Ah bugger ! thats really knacked my team now. Mind you he might be knackered after PAN.

Gkam84 replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Well that opens up two possibilities, Cav is feeling well enough, but needs a drag up the climbs OR Wiggo fancies it himself  39

0 likes

Hmmm. Well Mrs Wiggins just tweeted that he's doing Catalunya and it's Mick Rogers who is doing MSR.

Wiggo *is* on the official start list though  39

nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

Definitely Michael Rogers instead of Knees, according to Sky

Mikeh789 | 12 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Wegelius is on Garmin's list? Hasn't he retired?

Mikeh789 | 12 years ago
0 likes

8 man teams MSR, C Wegelius is Director Sportif for Garmin.

0 likes

Ive gone with a bold team, definitely 1 star rider that most others wont have, and id say potentially 4 of my DS's again very few others will have. and i doubt my 3 other star riders that will be popular choices, will all be found in together in many teams

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Did anyone go for Mehdi
Sohrabi?

He's pretty on form, having won a stage in Tirreno Adriatico.

Also, he's hyping himself up on Twitter

iii BAiiNZzz xx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Gone for 5 very cheap ds's and 4 very strong star riders

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins off the official start list .... so that will be 200 then.

Another Sky rider in ... Rogers?

Dave - why does it say 201 riders when there are only 200 on the list? Is it a bug or is there one hiding?!

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Gone for 4 very strong riders which will be in most riders teams and a european set up of DS riders. No more fiddling as i'm at work  20

meninblack replied to Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:
meninblack wrote:

I will not combine sprinters and allrounders, so, white or black, 200 points or 0 points haha  3

Let me know which way you go so I can stack my team in the opposite strategy!

I've decided and I'll go with 4 sprinters. I don't know which 4 sprinters yet, but there will not be any allrounder in my team.

I hope the race will decide with a massive sprint  3

livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looking at team Sky line on http://www.milansanremo.co.uk/2012-startlist.html Flecha is in for Hunt!
The rest being
SKY PROCYCLING
201 CAVENDISH Mark GBR
202 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald NOR
203 FLECHA GIANNONI Juan Antonio ESP
204 EISEL Bernhard AUT
205 HAYMAN Mathew AUS
206 LÖVKVIST Thomas SWE
207 STANNARD Ian GBR
208 WIGGINS Bradley GBR
D.S. DE Jong Steven

livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Then comparing team line ups on cycle fever most have one rider different with San Remo lists!  102
Not helping at all!

Example; RAST and WAGNER on cycle fever for Radioshack but NIZZOLO and SERGENT on San Remo list!?

ray silvester | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just found that all of my DS are not riding and a bit surprised that Bouhanni,Kruopis and Navardauskas are not having a go.

Current team
Sagan
EBH
Freire
Oss
Bak
Hansen
Gallopin
Spilak
Vandenbergh

0 likes

well navardauskas broke something but cant remember what

nickobec | 12 years ago
0 likes

OK for those to lazy to research DSs for the Milan San Remo by using:
Cycling Fever
CyclingNews
Cycling Archive

Here is a look at the current popular DSs (ie rode Paris Nice and now riding MSR)
S. Spilak KAT 5.7 two top 5 finishes in Paris Nice + 4th on GC. He can climb but can not finish fast. He rode for Lampre for 4 years and this is his 1st MSR. Job on Saturday is to get Freire and/or Paolini over the Poggio in the 1st group.
X. Florencio KAT 2.8 also two top 5 finishes in Paris Nice unlike Spilak can sprint, has ridden MSR 8 times before, has finished 21st, 24th twice and 25th. Probably No. 3 rider for KAT, but worth considering.
F. Gavazzi AST 9.7 3 top 10 finished in PN, unlike Spilak, 3 years with Lampre 3 MSR starts, 2009 17th, 2010 70th 2011 DNF.
A. Kristoff KAT 8.2 5 top 10 finishes this year, PN form not as good as teamate Florencio, still outside chance on a team with talented MSR riders.
S. Vandenbergh OPQ 2.7 no real form this year, never ridden MSR, prefer others.
K. Lodewyck BMC 9.6 if he starts (only showing on offical list not others) I expect he will attack, like in Qatar. Do not expect him to get over the Poggio in the 1st group in his 1st MSR. If he does though, can sprint a little.
L. Bak Lot 15.7 3 MSR starts for DNF, 121, 59. See the pattern, I expect around 30th, I would recomend investing your 15.7 elsewhere.
K. Boeckmans VCD 3.1 young rider starting he 1st MSR, always a risk. Though recent form including 2nd at Nokere Koerse behind Chicchi tell you he can finish well. A gamblers choice.
M. Bouet ALM 6.2 1 start in MSR 2010 finished 152nd, will improvem but not the type of race I see him doing that well in.

So what about the pro continetal teams and riders that you might of never heard off.
C. Betancurt ASA 6.9 impressed me in Giro Lombardi last year finished 9th alongside Gilbert and Visconti. Did a great break away on stage 6 of TA. Likely to be aggresive but the course if not lumpy enough for him, plus it is his 1st MSR.
COL other than Duarte (KM) most of the riders have not riden in Europe till this season, it showed in TA and there is more to learn in MSR, can not recommend anybody.
E. Battaglin COG 3.0 big things are expected of this young man who with young Moser (two very famous surnames) utterly dominate U23 racing in Italy last year. TA form was not exciting and at 22 probably not read for 300kms+ of racing, one for the future.
F. Failli FAR 6.0 & E. Favilli FAR 6.4 TA form on this pair nothing to get excited about. Failli did get over the Poggio in the leading group last year and finished 24th. Favilli finished 9th in the Strade Bianche two weeks back and can sprint.
P Bailetti UTE 2.9 The best contender on a weak team, this is not an "LPR Brakes" of old team. Still with the team working for him and a little luck a top 20 finish for Bailetti is not out of the question.
D Colli TT1 3.1 Ex Geox rider, riding the MSR for 1st time, decent form and sprint on him. Much more likely than Bailetti IMHO for top 20 finish.

Pages

Latest Comments