Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road newby tell me about tyres.

ok, 1st things 1st. its not for racing its for general training.
ive been using conti, wire gator Gator Hardshells which have been fantastic, no punctures this year.
But have a nice shiney new carbon frame which is being built up as we speak.
so am looking for a faster rolling tyre but not loosing that puncure restance! so what about Gatorskins, also what size. they will be mounted on mavic ksyrium equipe wheels.
As you can see i dont know much about road tyres, i a xc racer and use Schwalbe RRs....... i am going to do some sportives this year too.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd try Durano S. Go for 25mm if you can, the additional volume should improve comfort a little but won't increase rolling resistance (wider tyres actually have lower rr).

Bear in mind that improved rolling resistance and good puncture protection are mutually incompatible - to improve one usually makes the other worse.

mr-andrew | 12 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Durano S - supple, roll quickly, puncture resistant and grip better than the Conti's

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

conti 4000s, they are the RR of the road - fast rolling, very puncture resistant and grip well. they are quite cheap on merlin but has seen offers else where as well

Latest Comments