Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Gearing

Is the Campagnolo Veloce Triple chainset, 170mm 52x42x30 compatable with Shimano 2300 front and rear changers, it's got a Sunrace Cassette MFM60 13-28, 8 ucp, at the moment I have a Barracuda RS200 bike, with only a Double Chainset crank 170mm, FCA050C 39T-50T,where I live in Cornwall we have many inclines, any ideas for a solution would be helpful, have already posted on Bike Gearing, and thank the folks who have already tried to help me, I have found the Campag kit on the internet at a very good price.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's good to know you can mix and match to a certain degree but I think there may be a problem running an 8 speed chain, shifters and cassette with a 10 speed(?)crankset.

SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a Campag chorus triple, with a standard (Campag record titanium) front changer, standard Shimano 105 rear mech, standard (Campag record carbon) changers, using an 11 to 23 cassette with no problem at all. I think that a triple is definately the way to go with the bumps and lumps here in the south west!

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I assume your Shimano 2300 shifters are triple not the ones currently used with your Double crankset? Campag triple could work but the shifting wont be as smooth. The sprocket pitch on a campag chainring is 0.25mm wider that the shimano 8 speed drivetrain so I doubt an 8 speed shimano chain could deal with campag and a shimano spaced cassette out back.

The obvious solution is to get a compact shimano crankset such as the Shimano 2350 (50T 34T) for about £32 but you'll need to make sure your front mech works with it. Alternatively, a 2303 Triple (same size as the campag) for £50 ish, will do it for you.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

this is the go-to guide for what works with what, and how well:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

Latest Comments