Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre advice

I'm taking part in a charity bike ride which will for one of the four days that I will be riding we will be following the Paris-Roubaix route.

I currently have 23s on my ride, but was thinking about going with some previous advice and moving to 28s for that particular day.

As I will only be intending to use these tyres for this one day I'm looking for a bit of advice about tyre choice (I'm not spending a fortune for a single use) and should I change the tubes or go with the current tubes and they are a 23-28, but run them at a far lower psi than normal?

Cheers in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

srphotos | 12 years ago
0 likes

Noob question I know but... will the 28s for fine on my current rims with no problems?

Chris | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes, good move switching to 28s. Will be a bumpy ride all the way so lower pressure will help and the slightly fatter tyres will cope better at lower pressure than the 23s.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Your tubes should be fine but watch for pinch punctures if you run too low a pressure. Pack several spare tubes.

For good 28mm tyres (and yes, bigger is better in these circumstances), I'd go for either Schwalbe Durano or Conti GP 4Season. Neither is cheap, though Durano with wire bead is cheaper than folding, but you get what you pay for. Once you've ridden them you may feel they are worth keeping on your bike, and bear in mind that wider tyres can in fact have better rolling resistance than narrower ones.

Latest Comments