Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Compact to Standard

Would you ever consider, or is it even possible to swap the front 50 of a compact to a 53, therefore running 53/34 with 11-28 rear? Max top end and min bottom end?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ah right, cheers.

Maybe I'm not much of a descender, but I think 50-34 and 11-25 is more than enough.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@ notfastenough - here's the link  3 http://m.road.cc/content/forum/48334-53-34

Back to the subject in hand - that's a huge jump 19t. The norm is 16t. You would need a rear mech with a long cage to help the shifting as well. Why not just switch to a SD if you are wanting a bit more power in the big ring. Though you will defo feel the hills on a 38 if only used to a 34. If you go to Sheldon Brown you will find tables there with gain ratios etc and see if running a 53:11 is better than a 50:11

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@ notfastenough - here's the link  3 http://m.road.cc/content/forum/48334-53-34

Back to the subject in hand - that's a huge jump 19t. The norm is 16t. You would need a rear mech with a long cage to help the shifting as well. Why not just switch to a SD if you are wanting a bit more power in the big ring. Though you will defo feel the hills on a 38 if only used to a 34.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

50x11 not big enough?

You must have been out when Team Sky came round to your house with a fat contract.

step-hent replied to Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

50x11 not big enough?

You must have been out when Team Sky came round to your house with a fat contract.

Depends where you ride, no? I have spun out my 50x11 on long mountain descents in Spain, but would have been grovelling even more than I already was if I'd had a 38 tooth inner chainring (the smallest possible for a standard, rather than compact, setup) instead of my 34 for the climbs.

For my normal riding I don't need the range that the OP is looking for, but if I was riding in the mountains a lot then I'd seriously consider a triple in order to get the range...

Simon E replied to step-hent | 12 years ago
0 likes
step-hent wrote:

Depends where you ride, no? I have spun out my 50x11 on long mountain descents in Spain, but would have been grovelling even more than I already was if I'd had a 38 tooth inner chainring (the smallest possible for a standard, rather than compact, setup) instead of my 34 for the climbs.

No, I'd say it depends how you ride.

Even I could probably spin out on 50x11 if I found a descent long and steep enough but that's not the same as it being inadequate for my (or the OP's) purpose.

If you're honestly strong enough to push 50x11 and be looking for more you probably won't need a 34t inner ring for anywhere bar the Angliru. As an aside, this article says David Millar ran an Apex 11-36t cassette with large inner in last year's Giro (IIRC 42T is the smallest in the elliptical chainrings he likes).

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

page 7 of what?

SideBurn replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Page 7 of what?

Page 7 of this forum; but it will soon be page 8! Have look at the bottom of the first page and there are page numbers...

Mr Will | 12 years ago
0 likes

Max top end, Min bottom end, Great big holes between gears.

Seriously though, why would you want to? If you are strong enough to push a 53/11 then you will not need a 34/28 for anything this side of a brick wall!

...And if by some miracle you actually do need both, then a triple would be a far better way to go.

SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at '53 34?' on page 7

MickeyBlueEyes replied to SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Have a look at '53 34?' on page 7

Whoops, note to self, search discreetly for answers to my minds silly questions before asking the forum......

euanlindsay | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't think you will find a derailleur that will support a 19T different between the chainrings. And while I've never tried it I've always been told that 53T compact chainrings aren't stiff enough and shifting will suffer.

Latest Comments