Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best bike to work for a grand is this it?

I'm about to commit on my second bike to work bike having got seriously hooked last year.

Last years steed was a Giant Defy 1 which is serving me well, having just covered 3000 miles. The service at my local Giant shop was poor and i don't fancy giving them the money again?

My thought is to buy a second bike to use more for Sportives events and weekend rides, that can live on the turbo in winter. and use the giant to commute and get worn to a gritty metal paste by winter roads. I want to go the cyclescheme route again as it is an incredibly cash and tax efficient way of buying a bike.

I've been hunting around, and I've got to my preferred choice being this limited edition Ribble Evo Pro Carbon which tips in without pedals at £999.94

Now fellow forum users two questions

1. Anybody have one of these? what's your experience

2. Is there a better sub £1000 bike that can be bought on cyclescheme out there?

Bike spec below
Ribble Evo Pro Carbon Road Frame L (56cm C to Top)
Ribble Black Road Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8" ITS
Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
Sram Rival 10 Spd Groupset
Sram GXP Team Cups English
Sram Brakes Road
Sram 10 Spd PG 1070 Cassette 12-25
Sram 10 Spd PC1050/1 Chain
Sram S500 Black 10Spd Chainset 172.5 39/53
Sram Rival Black 10 Front Gear Braze-on
Sram Rival Black 10 Speed Rear Derailleur
Sram Rival Shift / Brake Levers Black 10 Speed with cables
Rodi Pr Whls Airline Evo Clinchers Black 8/9/10 Shim
ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Bars Black 44 c to c
ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Stem Black 110mm
CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm
Prorace Nitro Rigid Tyre Black/White 700x23mm
Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Carbon White
Shimano Clipless Spd-SL R540 (105) Pedals Black

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Ultimateweevil | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had this same problem last summer too. Ended up going with a Ribble New Sportive, with full Campag Veloce groupset and Campag Khamsin wheels, paid a about £200 over the £1000 cyclescheme voucher but was well worth the money and Ribble were brilliant. I'd originally ordered the Sportive frame but the one I ordered had a paint defect so they offered to upgrade the frame for about £30 quid!

You may also want to consider that the government had been looking to take VAT in to account on the payments during late 2011 so not sure how this will effect your payments.

Andywoo | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's true you can bike to work every year, cyclescheme have an extension scheme which means it stays with them until the bikes value has deminished in the tax Man's eyes. Paying over the grand has been frowned on, I asked Ribble what their view was and they say up to £100 above is ok beyond that no go!

Took your advice gents re-configured the bike with 7046 aluminium tubing full shimano 105 and better wheels, still better spec than I can get elsewhere, and it's a bike built in my native Lancashire.

Farky | 12 years ago
0 likes

By the way,how the ell are you able to use Cyclescheme 2 years in a row? My understanding is that although you pay over 12 months, the actual contract is based over 3 years and therefore your not allowed any more than 1 bike per 3 year term.

Stumps replied to Farky | 12 years ago
0 likes
Farky wrote:

By the way,how the ell are you able to use Cyclescheme 2 years in a row? My understanding is that although you pay over 12 months, the actual contract is based over 3 years and therefore your not allowed any more than 1 bike per 3 year term.

If your bike is paid for over 12 months then you can get another one as soon as the bike is paid for.

I've done it on 3 occasions now, but when i did it the thieving conservatives weren't in power so no doubt they will have changed it to line their own pockets even more.  14

Farky | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at the Cube offerings? Or a Kuota?

They where gonna be my choices having looked at various Ribble and Dolan options, the later really being aimed at a second or winter bike.

I couldn't find a single brand of bike with wheels worth commuting on for under the grand. Few good racing options for their price though.

I bought a Kona Zing Deluxe on sale at 830, the last one though Chainreaction have them at 800 mail order still, just not sure they took cyclescheme vouchers.

It's a minefield. From your previous experience, I'd say you need to buy what can be supported by a Local bike shop for the customer service you say was important but lacking. What makes you thing any other £1k bike isn't going to suffer similar issues. If you can't sort them mechanically, then who will come in the post to sort it for you?

Nothing against mail order in any way, it can save a fortune at times especially on hardware. Just a. Question of what's important and confidence in sorting issues yourself. All my options where based on local availability first and foremost and I'm a confident mechanic. Secondly, and the deciding factor, I saved a packet and got the bike I really wanted.

I'd've been equally happy with second choice Kuota alu frame bike with full Rival kit for £1050 or third choice Cube alu for £900 which had full 105.

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm just about to get the Stealth with Rival.

My advice would be to get the full rival gruppo, ie. Brakes and Crankset as well, lots of technology for no that much extra.

Also better wheels, the Rhodi's are asking to go out of true every rotation practically.

Perhaps racing 7's or Aksiums.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is no "best", there are so many good bikes at that price. It's down to individual preference.

If you like the Defy why not get another one? Pretty good value, can swap components across if you want to and you know the size etc so will not have a problem setting it up to fit you.

Or why not get some better wheels & tyres for longer rides? Keep on top of the cleaning after wet or muddy rides and your Defy won't suffer too badly.

Find a shop with a better attitude, it will be worth it, even if you have a travel a little.

mpt68 | 12 years ago
0 likes

if your prepared to put some extra towards the price most shops let you buy a bike over a grand as long as you pay the extra. i did it with an ridley orion priced in sale at £1400 down from £1900 and got this though cyclescheme ended up paying about £850.

mad_scot_rider replied to mpt68 | 12 years ago
0 likes
mpt68 wrote:

if your prepared to put some extra towards the price most shops let you buy a bike over a grand as long as you pay the extra.

Please note that if you do this the Hire Purchase agreement you sign for the scheme means the voucher is secured on the bike - it ALL belongs to the scheme management company until you make the final payment

"caveat emptor"

Latest Comments