Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

OK, who's actually got a Niterider MiNewt 600?

I'm already looking forward to next winter!...and i'm sick of faffing around with half decent (front) lights, so have decided i will treat myself to one that means you can actually see where you're going at more that 5mph!
I've got my eyes on the Niterider MiNewt 600 on the basis that it gets great reviews, looks bright on the road.cc light comparison tool, and also isn't too bad price wise (seen one for £90).....but i want to know what people who own one and have been using it for a while think about it.

Look forward to hearing from a few folk.
Matt.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

John N | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have one of these and use for my work commute. 11 miles, of which probably 8 mles is unlit. I use the 'walk' setting which is good for a weeks worth of commuting and then some, switching to the brighter settings when necessary. The handlebar fitting is a real pain though. (Note that new models come with a screw tightening fitting that should give a tight fit). To make the ratchet clip work try this.
1) Wrap the bar location with some self amalgamating tape. You'll want enough to allow the ratchet to close to around 3/4 of it's travel.
2) Set the lamp position you want and mark it off on the fitting and the handlebar.
3) Remove the lamp and squeeze the fitting with plumbers pliers / wrench - these have a wide enough jaw to fit over the fitting - then squeeze gently. You'll probably find just one more click on the ratchet than you can acheive by hand will be sufficient.
4) Go for a ride - a good 'A' road should provide a decent bump or two to check it. If you need to reposition the light you'll need to release the clip and go from 3) again.

Works for me.

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Matt,
Mate just popped round (to laugh at me in plaster I think) and he has cured the rotational problem with the lamp, we had a chat about it. He put a small strip of shower base grip tape on the bars under the clamp and since then he said the lamp just doesn't move any more. The tape has a texture a little like a 'burned sparkler'. He got it from Wickes.
Good mod though.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Matt,
I've not got that model, but nightriding buddy of mine has. His is really bright and for a self contained unit works really well - only moan he has is that on the mendips off road at night he says the lamp moves on the bars, having said that, seeing him come down the hills I'm suprised his bars stay on, but for road use it is a cracker. For comparison I have the Minewt 700 twin heads, his is as bright but not got the spread and that's only due to being able to set the heads at different angles with the twins.
As a recommendation I would say it is excellent for lane/road use and the life is good to very good.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Trikeman.  3

matt637 replied to trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks v much. That's the moan that seems to keep getting mentioned about the mount not being secure enough. Sounds good though.

Latest Comments