Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for my first Sportive (Scotland)

Okay - first off I apologise if this has been discussed ad-nauseam - I *did* do a quick search on the forum and couldn't see any matches, but just post a link if you know of one. Background ---------- - Serious commuter for 3 yrs now on a fairly hefty hybrid - 25 mile round trip per day with a 900 ft climb on the way home - Buying first *real* road bike on CycleScheme in April Objective --------- - A "manageable" first Sportive - Reasonable distance (<100 miles-ish) from Glasgow - Any preparation tips Thx in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

Kinross Sportive, but it is 28th April, and is probably up to capacity, keep it in mind for 2013, opens September usually, I would have entered on the easy course if my bike hadn't been stolen.

Eyebrox | 12 years ago
0 likes

http://www.obree.com/sportive2012.php
50 miles or 70 miles. Great day out with all abilities.

40 minutes by train Glasgow to Ayr then 20 minutes on cyclepath from station to start point.

Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes

Had a look at the roads list, they missed out the wee gem that runs from Kenknock in Glen Lochay over to Glen Lyon at Loch Lyon, tough climb to 505m over 3.5km with the start of the switchbacks at 220m. Great run into Glen Lyon.

Gkam84 replied to Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes
Strathlubnaig wrote:

Had a look at the roads list, they missed out the wee gem that runs from Kenknock in Glen Lochay over to Glen Lyon at Loch Lyon, tough climb to 505m over 3.5km with the start of the switchbacks at 220m. Great run into Glen Lyon.

The Lochan na Lairige?? number 5 on the list  3

Strathlubnaig replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

No, it is another road from Glen Lochay, reached from Killin, public road, single track of course, bit rough near the bottom, heads over to Glen Lyon and from there you can head back to Loch Tay side via the Lochan Na Larig road to make a pleasant 55km circuit, with 2 decent climbs.
see http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/65001578/

Sorry for going off topic !

update...i was over that road again today, I think it may be a hydro road so not really fully public, still accessible for bikes though.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Damn, they look just plain mean. And there's me thinking Rest and be Thankful, Dukes Pass, Take me up and doon were all challenges. Then I'm usually hitting those from sea level!!! More power to you gkam and good luck ith the training

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just looked up the route, It seems to take in ALOT of the highest roads in Scotland, out of 28 listed on Wikipedia there are 6 of them on the Alford route

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest_roads_in_Scotland

The Lecht, Tom Dubh, The Strone, Cabrach, Spittal of Glenmuick, Suie Hill

Just having a look at the list, you would think i'd have gotten used to climbing, with 9 of those roads all in and around my normal cycling routes  13

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm fine, just stepping up my training to get out one some sportives this year.

Yeah Alford is up here not far from Aberdeen, but I would say some of the climbs, Especially the Lecht is on a par with Applecross

The Lecht peaks out around 2100 feet above sea level and Alford is 460 feet above sea level

Here is an Example of the Lecht, it starts at Corgarff 1235 feet above sea level, then you climb to 2100 feet and back down to Tomintoul which is 1164 feet above sea level, all over around 9.5 miles and it goes /\/\-/\_/\/_\_/\_/\/\/  31

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

21 Oops, forgot Alford was way up north!! Can't be as bad as Applecross though. That's a bugger! I think the Dumfries one follows the Tour of Britain stage from last year. Don't quote me, need to have a proper look. How you keeping anyway Gkam?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thats a good pick there Giff, without sounding bad, you don't wanna be doing the Alford event unless you LOVE climbing, it takes in some of my normal routes around here and they are killers on their own, but to put them back to back is like suicide on a bike  20

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@ mad_scot - below are some of the sportives from May. There are others that will be run by clubs, just need to keep your ear to the ground and check the scottish cycling website
19 May 12 Chain Reaction Cycles Sportive Series 2012 (Selkirk)
26 May 12 Cyclefest Sportive More info Alford Cycle Sportive
17 Jun 12 Action Medical Research Trossachs Ton Stirling Cycle Sportive
11 Aug 12 Galloway Recycle Sportive Dumfries & Galloway Cycle Sportive
12 Aug 12 Action Medical Research Glasgow 100

Don't let having a hybrid put you off the bike show event mind  4

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

not been on the receiving end of that particular drubbing, but i did get beaten up a hill on exmoor by a 76-year-old on a raleigh randonneur when i was riding a BMC Pro Machine  1

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

In all seriousness. It doesn't matter what bike you have for these events. A pal did a 100 miler on his hybrid last summer over in N.Ireland. Admitedly the road bike will help on the longer routes and big climbs, but I've seen tourers, audax, hybrids etc on various sportives. I'll have a poke around further into the season. Alternatively, join a club. Then you get a free ride every weekend plus tips from the old hands  1

EK Spinner | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is a nice day out with a couple of Climbs, normally in August called the Round Strathaven 50. Funnilly enough it starts and finishes in Strathaven (Just South of East Kilbride)

http://www.roundstraven50.org.uk/

The Glasgow/Edinburgh (Pedal for Scotland is Good if you can organise your own transport home and feel up to 100 miles, the 55 mile route is a victim of its own success with 8000 or so entrants, including everyone and their Granny (and her Dug). The route and rest stops are congested, some muppet will just stop in front of you on every climb, dangerous movements at every pinch point etc.

100 mile version - great day out

mad_scot_rider replied to EK Spinner | 12 years ago
0 likes
EK Spinner wrote:

There is a nice day out with a couple of Climbs, normally in August called the Round Strathaven 50. Funnilly enough it starts and finishes in Strathaven (Just South of East Kilbride)

http://www.roundstraven50.org.uk/

I have lived in EK my whole life - why don't I know about this???

That one's a definite maybe as it covers a lot of my recreational cycle route (from EK up by airfield, parallel to A71 a bit then back thru the windfarm)

mad_scot_rider | 12 years ago
0 likes

The problem with the two you mention in April is I'm getting my road bike on the Ride2Work scheme - so won't get it till late April

I suspect turning up to one of these events on a hybrid would be considered poor form (except maybe the Loch Lomond 30)

dave atkinson replied to mad_scot_rider | 12 years ago
0 likes
mad_scot_rider wrote:

I suspect turning up to one of these events on a hybrid would be considered poor form (except maybe the Loch Lomond 30)

Turning up on a cervelo and getting owned on a climb by a hybrid - *that's* poor form  4

do it on whatever you want

mad_scot_rider replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Turning up on a cervelo and getting owned on a climb by a hybrid - *that's* poor form  4

Oh dear - voice of experience there Dave?

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

There's a sportive in Dunfermline on 1st April. The Scottish Bike Show also running a sportive on 15th April. This one is two routes. 30 mile and 100 mile. Both leave Balloch. The shorter one a wee tour in the Trussochs and Lomond area. The longer one takes in Dukes pass, callander, Lomond and Trussochs. If you enter the sportive for the 15 I thiink you get free entry to the show as well. There's a couple that run in the Lanark region and the now established Glasgow/Edinburgh run (lumpy). I'll dig out the link for you mad scot and post it.

Highlandcycler | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hello, Have a look at www.handsonevents.co.uk they do a few sportive events during the year including the Bealoch Mor which has Britains biggest road climb. They are mostly a bit North of you but may be of interest.

mad_scot_rider replied to Highlandcycler | 12 years ago
0 likes
Highlandcycler wrote:

Hello, Have a look at www.handsonevents.co.uk they do a few sportive events during the year including the Bealoch Mor which has Britains biggest road climb. They are mostly a bit North of you but may be of interest.

Great link - thanks - I was honestly only expecting responses about central or Southern events - didn't know the highlands were so active

Both Bealach Beag and the Skye Sportive look of interest - but frankly that monster 600m climb over just 10km might push me away from the former  1

The Skye Sportive profile seems much more up-and-down - and frankly a bit less scary

Latest Comments