Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Standard tyres. should I upgrade? what to?

Having just taken delivery of my new Bianchi Via Nirone 7, I'm now considering 'making it my own'. I've ridden it once, on the factory-fitted Vittoria Zaffiro Slick 700x25 tyres, but would welcome advice on them. Are they any good? Worth keeping? Should I buy alternatives and, if so, what?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Martin Thomas | 12 years ago
0 likes

Late to this one, but defo +1 for the Michelin Krylion 25s - best tyres I've ever used.

obutterwick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Wow, more responses than expected! Definitely lots to consider and it seems the the current Vittorias aren't really worth keeping on. It's more of a training bike than anything, but going to be doing 100 miles-ish per weekend to begin with. The roads in and around York aren't the smoothest.

mancsi | 12 years ago
0 likes

Conti GP4000s - Clincher? What does this mean?

mr-andrew | 12 years ago
0 likes

If this is your race day bike, can recommend whole heartedly recommend the Ultremo's or Veloflex Kevlar. I've never had an issue with 23c tyres, and both of these are really supple and grippy. They don't last that well though. If you are planning on this being more of an all round bike, I'd consider the Schawlabe Durano S or Conti GP4000. I have founf that the GP's don't inspire a lot of confidence in corners.

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

ultremo r1 or zx, brilliant never had one of the p words in over 3000km

issacforce | 12 years ago
0 likes

conti 4000s 1 puncture in 3 years cant ask for better than that. 27pound from tweeks cycling free p&p too

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

more wood for the fire...
Conti Gatorskins for all round riding and spring / summer commuting, I have a pair of 28s for maximum lump absorption.
Conti Grandprix are lighter, gummier and faster but not as puncture resistant, they are nominally 24mm wide but as good as 25 really.

ilovemytinbred | 12 years ago
0 likes

It massively depends on intended use. Consider: price, punctures, speed/grip, longevity.

I ride gator hardcase at the moment (25s) as they last forever and dont puncture, Im doing 300+ miles a week so thats good. However I would consider them too slow and slippy to be much fun.

I had some conti 4000 (not 4000s) 23s. These were a bit quicker and grippier but wore out in no time and punctured on a weekly basis. - not great at anything.

Conti 4 seasons. These wear quick if you do a lot of miles, they are much much nicer to ride than gators in every way. Possibly the most sure footed winter tyre I have used.

Veloflex record- amazing quick lovely feeling race tyre. More puncture proof than you might think. Dont use for general riding.

Vittoria open pro cx. Lovely tyre, get cut up fairly easily, puncture more than some. I use them on my best bike in the summer for shorter rides.

Not used the Michelin krylion but considered by most to be a good blend of grip and puncture resistance for the winter.

Use a latex tube on the vittoria or veloflex- feels better and you go faster.

23s in the summer or race bike. They are faster than 25s (aero I guess, as rr is higher)

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I will go for Conti GP4000 soon tbh. I was tempted with the Ultremo ZX like my father has, until I witnessed how easily he shredded one!  13

Low Speed Wobble | 12 years ago
0 likes

At 360g and with a thread count almost in single figures, these are DEFINATELY in line to be your first upgrade. Have a look at the Continental GP4000S. You'll cut a quarter kilo off your rotating mass in an instant, and have a lower rolling resistance and smoother ride to boot. It'll feel like a different bike altogether. Do stick with the 25s. Other than feeling the need to look 'pro' I don't understand why so many cyclists persist with anything narrower for the majority of rides.

obutterwick replied to Low Speed Wobble | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thank you!

dino | 12 years ago
0 likes

I liked the way the Michelin Pro Race gripped the surfaces on which we ride in Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia... but they did wear fast. I ride Gatorskin by Continental... love them.

WolfieSmith | 12 years ago
0 likes

Michelin Pro Race are good but they do indeed wear quickly. Cuts and divots aside - they down to the canvas after 12 months. Vitoria were puncture magnets for me. Schalbe are good for summer. I have Conti GP 4000s now but they haven't touched road yet as the summer bike's on the rollers only.  2 Sounds like a nice bike. Have fun.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

+1 on the Conti gp4000.

mediconabike | 12 years ago
0 likes

Also worth considering Continentals - Michelins have good rolling resistance and grip but wear quickly. Continental 4000Ss or 4000s should give you good rolling resistance, good puncture protection and last several thousand miles.

obutterwick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, guys. I've heard good things about the Michelins. Will look into the other two now. Ive just upgraded the saddle, so weighing up whether I can stretch to tyres too, this side of payday.

lazyusername | 12 years ago
0 likes

Michelin krylion carbon in 25s get my vote

I suppose you should consider what you'll be doing on the bike and how much you dislike punctures. I don't race and really dislike punctures so have the Michelins on in the winter. Having said that I'll probably have vittoria rubino pros on for the summer give a bit more grip and comfort and still have reasonable puncture resistance

BicycleRepairMan | 12 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Utremo ZX do it for us, unless you ride on perfectly smooth roads (are there any in the UK?) I would recommend 25mm tyres, a wider tyre rolls better over the bumps and will give a smoother quicker ride than the 23s, ansd dont over inflate them!

_SiD_ | 12 years ago
0 likes

You could hold on to the 25mm for winter use and change to a 23mm tyre for a bit of added zip.
Tried loads but Hutchinson Fusions are by far the best tyres i've used and now don't use much else.

Latest Comments