Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Connect / MapMyRide etc. User? Check your privacy settings

If you're a user of a GPS logging site like Garmin Connect, MapMyRide, Endomondo etc. then you may want to check and consider changing your privacy settings.

Garmin for example have default privacy set to 'share' so that means any ride you upload is publicly searchable and visible to anyone. A quick look in my local area searching under 'cycling' and the word 'home' showed up loads of tracks called things like "ride home from work", "training loop from home" which basically amount to a location where a bike is kept.

Whats more, it would generally be an indicator that the bike may be valuable if the owner is a 'serious' enough cyclist to track their routes by GPS

A friend of mine recently had a break in at his home where 3 bikes were stolen despite some high security locks and floor bolts. It was clearly pre-planned and the thieves were equipped with cutting gear and a van.

A quick look at the local police site shows another stolen bike in the vicinity, listed as being equipped with a Garmin GPS. Possibly coincidence but sometihng you may wish to think about.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you were particularly evil, you could always start and end your logging outside the house of someone in your neighbourhood who you don't like.

Or choose a landmark in a public space like a park, or a bridge over a river, and always start / end your logging there.

The time and date in a GPS log could also be a security risk. If you ride a lot, they could reveal your habits.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've set Strava to crop a 500 yard radius round my house, but can't help noticing that my house is bang in the middle of the omitted circle. It's like painting a cross-hair! It would be handy if the circle randomised it's position slightly.

carlos-the-jackal | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you use Strava to log your rides then as a default setting it crops the first and last 50m of your ride (think you can set it to further) so that you don't lay a trail straight to your door.......

MattT53 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good call, thanks.

mrpt5 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good advice - about to do it now.

pepita1 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that info!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

yup, that's good advice. i set mine to default to private for that reason.

it's easy in garmin connect, just go to settings > default privacy and choose 'private'

Latest Comments