Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

i just orderd one of these!

please dont shout, or laugh out loud. i just orders one of these!

[link removed by admin]

im poor and would never be able to afford the real thing. am going to fit 105 groupset,a nd some nice wheels! anyone had an experience with these frames? wish me luck.  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

97 comments

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum Racing 3's?
Cosmic Elites?
Ksyrium Equipes?

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

American Classic 350 Sprint!

Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not a bike, but link below is interesting when it comes to stuff that you really don't want to break but it is a Chinese copy....scroll to bottom pics.

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/news-2/2011/02/11/warning-regarding-pres...

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

you can get ultegra 6700 wheels for £199. from planet x, fitted them with featherlight michelin tubes, ultremo r1 tyres and ultegra 6700 cassette. very light set up i think 2.4kg for the complete front and rear wheels inc tyres tube cassette. cost me £300 all in.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
OldnSlo | 12 years ago
0 likes
The Good Shepherd | 12 years ago
0 likes

Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels are really good, and Planet X usually have tehm for about the £280 mark.

Good luck with the bike!

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

well boys it turned up last night. looks good so far, heres a picture taken from my phone. will post better ones when i get the camera out. still unsure whether to go 105 or Ultegra groupset?is it really worth the extra £250?
And im probably going to get mavic ksyrium equipe wheelset, theyre a good price at the moment.

oh and tht rug colour is her choice! like we get a say in these things.  39

matt637 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looks great, but how is it not going to attract the attention of the local trading standards dept!!?  39

I would go for Sram Rival - great price, great weight (some parts are lighter than Ultegra), good durability and performance, and looks perfect. It's supposed to be in competition with 105 and Campag Veloce but outweighs and out prices both quite well - it's more of a threat to Ultegra.

0 likes

Well that's the first two tests passed - it turned up, and looks like they said it would!

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

hi guys/gals

Yep the 1st 2 things have happened. It turned up and it looks exactly like the photos he sent. Actually its better than I hoped it would be!! In a nice way.

As for the sram Rival, never really occured to me, ive been using the big S for years racing my xc bikes and never used Sram stuff before.  39 So the Rival groupset is lighter than the 105 but cheaper than the Ultegra! I suppose it fits the same, as in the BB?

Got me thinking though, and doing a massive order on the WWW next week after a cheque clears!

0 likes

Just a comment regarding SRAM - I use a mix of Rival and Apex, and it's causing me to learn quickly how to tune cable tension and derailleur movement limits etc as my new cable for the rear shifter settles in and loosens up. I don't know if Shimano or Campag transmission would be as fussy.

Other than that though, it is great kit.

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

thanks for that, all the shimano kit ive used never had any problems once its been set up, apart from the noram wear n tear!

any thoughts on tyres? ive been using conti gator hardshell and have`nt had any punctures this year........ yet!  4

are the gatorskins any good, they`re a fair bit lighter but is the punture proofing any good? plus they are a fair bit cheaper too.  39

matt637 replied to wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

wheelz - here's a review from 2009 (cycling weekly) about the updated version of the Sram Rival groupset - the guy even says that he thinks it is a *rival* to Dura Ace!!! (which i think is a very bold statement, if not a bit excitable!).

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/gear/996/1/sram-rival-2009-groupset....

0 likes

Well I'm still on my first set of tyres since getting back into cycling, so I can only say that I chose Schwalbe Blizzard Sport to get me through a Manchester (read: potholed, lot of road muck) winter, and I've only had 1 puncture, but did notice a few cuts in the rubber when changing the tube.

I should clarify my statement about SRAM - I believe cable tension/bedding in isn't unique to SRAM. Also, as I say I'm learning quick, and can't help feeling a little more confident about being out in the middle of nowhere, alone, in shocking weather!

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well guys/gals

Its nearly build time, the frame looks great (exactly the photos by box).
The build will be as follows:

Groupset Sram Rival
Wheels Mavic ksyrium equipes
Bars FSA wings
Tyres Vittoria Rubino Pro3 (great price)
Seatpost FSA carbon

Am just waiting on the rest to be delivered from CRC & Merlin  1

0 likes

Cool stuff, do post some pics when done. I'd love to see a proper write-up as well if you can, I think a lot of people are interested in seeing how this turns out. Chapeau to you for having the balls to go for it!

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

No problem,

I will do a full picturial & written road test as soon as its built.  1

I will also tell all about how easy it was to build.  39

When ive put a few miles on it i will know better, its 1st (official....) run out in public will be the Greater Haywards Heath bike ride on April 1st.  4

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I will add my 'hope it goes well' to the thread.

Enjoy the build process and that first ride.

srphotos | 12 years ago
0 likes

very interesting read. Look forward to seeing you're full write up and pics once built!

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

The story so far. You all know the frame turned up, well so has 99% of the stuff im fitting (waiting on HongKong seatpost).... So the scary, but exciting task af the "build" started round my mates saturday at 9am, we know we have a 2hr window. Usual coffee, chat then a nervous spanner appears. 1st is the head bearing, no special tools here just a trusty piece of wood and a home made puller and its done. Next up the BB, that flies on and so does the crank, rear and front mechs. Exciting innit? Next up the wheels need tubes and tyres on, no problems there then. The end of part 1.
Honestly we`re all very interested in this project and so far so good, every part, screwthread, bearing face has been no different to any other known frame ive built.

cull69 replied to wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Which seller on DHgate did you go through and was there any custom charges  39

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

the site i got mine from is on the 1st thread. The guy is called Walton. Hes realy helpful, i had loads of questions for him. My frame is the one in the pictures by a box, and the build up is going great (so far)and am just waiting on a seatpost so i can finish up, put the bars on, indexing and all the other silly things that tale for ever. Anyone set-up and indexed the Rival stuff on a new frame?  39

[link removed by admin]

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its done,  1
So this is part 2 of 3.
A lot of this stuff was new to us MTBers and casual roadies. Internal cabling, double click shifters/brakes and so on. After the initial bottle of beer we got to it. As ive already said the build quality is good. Everything we`ve bolted or pressed fitted onto the frame has fitted with no dramers. The Sram Rival is good quality stuff, the Mavic Ksyrium equipes are a nice wheel set, frameset is light and looks good and thing like tyres,seatpost. saddles are a personal choice!
So we finished it at 9.45 last night. It took 4.5 hrs ish to build so that was`nt too bad. Part 3will vbe after a 40 mile breaking in ride saturday. Heres some pictures.  4

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Here it is in all its glory at 6.30 this morning. The misses didnt want it in the lounge.............

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

I can see the bars are going to need some tweeking.

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh and it weighs 17.4 lbs, without pedals. Im still waiting for a lighter seatpost and saddle, so should be able to shed a bit more weight after that too.  1

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looks the biz Wheelz, good effort.
Looking forward to the ride report, seeing the 'angles' an'all it should give a stable ride and with a good weight too.
Good luck old chap and well done for documenting the build.  41
Regards

Trikeman.  3

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looks good. Thanks for posting an update. Enjoy your ride tomorrow and I hope you avoid freshly laid tarmac - it's too white for tar marks.

What size frame is that? 54? How much have you spent then? Would be interesting to compare to an off-the-peg 'equivalent' carbon frame.

wheelz | 12 years ago
0 likes

yep its a 54.

The total build cost is around the £1350 mark!

You can get some nice bikes for that sort of price, but im very happy so far with the way its turned out.

Probably plenty of faffing on the initial ride tomorrow

Pages

Latest Comments