Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

canti's vs v's

Have just picked up an old steel frame which has canti brakes. Am pondering whether it is worth the expense (getting levers cables etc) of switching over to v brakes rather than overhauling the canti's. Or any tips for overhauling said canti's. More familiar with callipers which is why I ask  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant -thanks Dave

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

if you're keeping the cantis, getting some good quality cartridge pads will make all the difference

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys for your help. Thinking I'll keep the canti's as I'll be able to fit guards and like the idea that the blocks can last longer. It's tough being aa cheapskate  4

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've used both and switched to Cantis as I couldnt fit mudguards with mini-v's as they are bang in the way.

I found mini-v's were more powerful but didnt have the 'feel' of canti's.

mattsccm | 12 years ago
0 likes

I did just that. Always used cantis on CX bikes and as the entire world recommended V's I swapped for some mini's. They seemed fine at first but really loose the power when they bare worn and you have had to shorten the cable. You can adjust cantis a lot more before you ditch the blocks. Also unhooking the V noodle is akward if the blocks are close to the rim.
See Sheldon Brown for advice on setting cantis. Also CTC forum

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you're running it on the road then Mini-Vs are another option; they have the same cable pull as cantis. make sure you fit an inline adjuster too though...

Latest Comments