Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Facebook Socks

Just a quick comment about it, as i know what happens when i put it on the actual post, it will end in a bitch fight.

There are currently 11 comments, from what i can see 2 of them are guys who are from the site

Some of those "freebie" troll's who spend the whole day on facebook, liking, sharing and commenting in the hope of winning something for free

If you click on any on certain profiles, then click on their wall, you will see they all have the same things and same look about them, pictures everywhere of things you can win for free on facebook

So just a thought I would point this out, would it not be better to do it some other way? That way its forum memebers and cyclist's who get the benefit from the socks and not just freebie hunters  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

we already know where you live, jimmy  4

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't have time to enter 000's of competitions but I like the idea and simplicity of entering on Facebook.

I understand its a information gathering exercise so they are getting information from me as a trade off.

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks GKam  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ok, thats noted aswell, but I think Mikeh789's comment was more based on Cav's illness than my post as he was the person who started the thread making people aware he was ill.

The evidence was obviously false as i showed in the pictures, It would be different if i hadn't posted them and still said the same, but i'll moderate my deception this year on the back of it.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

"Its offical

Cav has been replaced for Qatar AND i have evidence"

With next commenter saying he'd swapped Cav out.

It's one thing misinforming people about your team selection, but giving false information - however humorously meant - is arguably crossing the line from banter into gamesmanship.

With it being the first race of the season and a lot of new players who haven't perhaps got up to speed yet with the Gkam84 sense of humour, there's a definite risk that some people might look on someone with more than 2,000 posts to their name as being a reliable source of information  3

Just my tuppence worth...

Low Speed Wobble replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

there's a definite risk that some people might look on someone with more than 2,000 posts to their name as being a reliable source of information...

Nah. That'd never happen. I've read enough guff from you, Tony and Dave to know that often the reverse is the case  4

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Tracy

I know that you do not know me, but you may know my username on Road.cc (Gkam84)

Firstly i would like to apologise directly to you rather than on the forum, which I will also do, I'm sorry for any offence i may have caused you by naming you in my thread and referring to you as a "freebie troll", please do not take that as a personal attack on yourself, as thats not how it was meant.

I picked your name purely at random from the comments that were left on the status, I went onto many of the posters profiles and all I saw was "share this to win" "like this to win" and so on, As I run a couple of facebook pages for businesses who often do competitions like that, we often get swamped by "freebie troll's" who only set up an account on facebook to enter these types of give away's.

Obviously, I cannot see anything else posted on your wall as i am in no way affiliated with Road.cc nor their facebook page, The only reason I brought it up on the forum, was to make the owners aware that there are people out there doing things like this and felt that it was disadvantaging genuine cyclists and cycling fans

Please accept my apology, I have now removed your name from the thread and will also post this word for word as a comment on there.

Once again, sort for any offence i have caused you.

Keith (Gkam84)

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't think cyclists are being put at that much of a disadvantage though… if they really want the socks they can be had for a very reasonable £6.99 (inc P&P) or three pairs for an astonishing £14.99  13

As the person that fires up the random number-0-meter www.random.org/integers/ and who has to trawl through all the entries I would have to say that the great majority of people taking part are obviously cyclists - and we've got no problem with the ones who aren't some of the people they are sharing with possibly are cyclists; and in its own small way the sock compo is helping to spread the word - apart from anything else is brightens up a Monday morning… with socks.

The reason I'm chipping in now is that the lady mentioned by Gkam84 up top has been in touch, she's read this thread and not un-naturally she isn't happy about being called a freebie-hunting troll - you might want to offer an apology… and maybe go back and edit that comment Gkam.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of "disadvantaging" people, who was it that posted about Cav being out of the Tour of Qatar when he wasn't - causing a fair few paliptations amongst Fantasy Cyclists? Hmm…  39

Gkam84 replied to Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

The reason I'm chipping in now is that the lady mentioned by Gkam84 up top has been in touch, she's read this thread and not un-naturally she isn't happy about being called a freebie-hunting troll - you might want to offer an apology… and maybe go back and edit that comment Gkam.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of "disadvantaging" people, who was it that posted about Cav being out of the Tour of Qatar when he wasn't - causing a fair few paliptations amongst Fantasy Cyclists? Hmm…  39

Comment edited, I have left some of it, but taken anything out that might sound like a personal attack on anyone.

As for the Cav bit, all's fair in love and fantasy cycling. But if your referring to this thread http://road.cc/content/forum/52179-cav-sick Its all a bit of fun and as i said they were all nicked from sky's facebook, anyone could have gone there and seen who it was  3

Apology has been given and also posted above ^^ I hope that this will suffice and be accepted by Tracy, then we can put a line under it.....also noted for future reference to keep my big gob (fingers) shut

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I know its just a pair of socks and its cheap advertising, i just dont like the idea of these people who just trawl facebook on fake accounts picking up freebies, no matter tha value, therefore disadvantaging those of us who actually use cycling socks for cycling purposes  26

charliemac74 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think it's a numbers game. For any given promotion there will be a large number of people taking up the offer just because it's available, but even if 2% of the entrants return and increase traffic then surely it could be seen as success?

dave atkinson replied to charliemac74 | 12 years ago
0 likes
charliemac74 wrote:

I think it's a numbers game. For any given promotion there will be a large number of people taking up the offer just because it's available, but even if 2% of the entrants return and increase traffic then surely it could be seen as success?

what charlie said. it's all grist to the mill. and let's not forget what we're giving away here. it's a pair of socks, people.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Aye i'm not having a go at anyone on here, hello and welcome

There just seems to be a growing trend on facebook of "women" and i put it in brackets because most are fake accounts they use to add hundreds or thousands of people to their "like and share to win" programs

_Karlos_ | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well I've commented, but I am very new here, within the last week!
I have already 'liked' a few articles from this site to share with cycling buddies. Mind you, I'm obviously a cyclist as you'll see from my avatar on FB.

Hello all, by the way  16

Latest Comments