Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Oman

The same 16 teams have been invited to Tour of Oman as participated in Tour of Qatar.

Expect quite a few team changes though; there is the odd hill in Oman and despite 4 sprint stages, there will be the odd hardman stage. Boasson Hagen back in for Sky and punchier climbers like Rodriguez and Gilbert might be more obvious.

I don't think the out and out sprinters will stand a chance of the overall so transfers are going to be important.

Thoughts comrades?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

57 comments

bubby016 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I forgot, how many transfers can you roll over?

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

You get unlimited until first stage then two per day after that.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

You can roll over 2, so if after the first stage, you make no transfers, you will have 4 the next day, if you use only 2, you will still have 2 rolling over, but the most you will ever have is 4

dave atkinson replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You can roll over 2, so if after the first stage, you make no transfers, you will have 4 the next day, if you use only 2, you will still have 2 rolling over, but the most you will ever have is 4

unless there's more than two available, like in the classics or on a rest day of the tour. basically two rollovers max, plus however many free transfers are allowed on the stage

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

So on rest days we could have upto 6?

I was just pointing out what it would be for the tour of Oman

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

I must leave enough dosh in the bank to be able to bring Cav in for Fridays stage. Looking at the sky photos on Facebook, he seems to have his climbing legs on, leading his team up the training climbs.
 44  44

0 likes

...there again, Jon Tiernan Locke is looking like he knows how to go uphill.
http://www.cyclingfever.com/stage.html?etappe_idd=MjcwNzA=&_ap=video
Might pick him for the uphill stages in Oman.
 44  44  44

cherrypicked replied to JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

I must leave enough dosh in the bank to be able to bring Cav in for Fridays stage. Looking at the sky photos on Facebook, he seems to have his climbing legs on, leading his team up the training climbs.
 44  44

Truths in the climbing legs aside, I'm more worried that given his injuries he'll be more "miss" than "missile"

rjl | 12 years ago
0 likes

It seeems that the first stage is a uphill finish, light and easy but uphill, isn't it? maybe Goss time??? I've many doubts with my team, expecially with the stars...

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

It goes up 80 metres over the last 30kms so not really much of a rise and i think the last 5 is completely flat.

ray silvester | 12 years ago
0 likes

So sprinters at the start then make no transfers for stage 3 so you can use 4 transfers to get the climbers in for stage 4 and another 2 to beef it up with punchy domestiques for stage 5?

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

You say that, but Stage 4 has been deemed "flat". Have a look at the profile .... if I was cycling it, I wouldn't call it flat!!  39

Who is good on stages like this? Hushovd, Goss, Tiernan, Schlek?!

Stumps replied to veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes
veseunr wrote:

You say that, but Stage 4 has been deemed "flat". Have a look at the profile .... if I was cycling it, I wouldn't call it flat!!  39

Who is good on stages like this? Hushovd, Goss, Tiernan, Schlek?!

The first 50k is virtually downhill the whole way - if it was me i would go full belt to pick up speed to see how far i could free wheel up the hill before getting off and pushing  21

martyntr | 12 years ago
0 likes

When did endura get an invite to the tour of oman ??

Simon_MacMichael replied to martyntr | 12 years ago
0 likes
martyntr wrote:

When did endura get an invite to the tour of oman ??

Take anything you read in Fantasy Cycling threads with a sack of salt. Lots of smoke and mirrors being deployed  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Normally the smoke appears in the hall of mirrors  3

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

With about 12 hours to go the pressure is on to pick your team, unless of course your really switched on and have settled your team already.

I have been trying different line ups with an eye on stage 4 and 5 and in doing so have money spare.

I've gone for:

Cav
Boonen
Griepel
Galimzyanov

Hayman
Steegmans
Guardini
Sohrabi
Kruopis

But i will probably change it again  39

bubby016 replied to Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I've gone for:

Cav
Boonen
Griepel
Galimzyanov

Hayman
Steegmans
Guardini
Sohrabi
Kruopis

Same except for three men  13  22 Also might change my team to fit in one certain star rider  3  3  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I also have three men different, 1 star and 2 DS, but still formatting my time

bubby016 replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I also have three men different, 1 star and 2 DS, but still formatting my time

Same here  13

0 likes

I'm going for:-

Three legged man
German
Eastern European
And again
And again
And again
Another German
Australasian
And an Asian

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

GER
GBR
RUS
GER
Lithuania (whats the shortened?)
GER
BEL
AUS
جمهوری اسلامی ایران

JAndrewHill replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

So GKAM likes Wagner and Kuschynski  19

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Decided to stick with that team and i need 5 transfers for stage 4  20

Fingers crossed they all do well and i dont have to mess about changing them.

Problem comes though on stage 6, which is flat, do you take out a possible race winner / runner up to put back in the likes of Cav or Griepel which might gain you a few extra points  39  39  39

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@ stumps - problem is that we all did that in qatar and cav collected more grit than points for us all. Same dilemma for me hoping my team will be consistent and will not have to make many changes. Have also managed to have some spare credit just in case.

bubby016 replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

GER
GBR
RUS
GER
Lithuania (whats the shortened?)
GER
BEL
AUS
جمهوری اسلامی ایران