Home

hi all,
Just wondering what the story is with riding up the mt ventoux climb before the riders arrive. Are there any restrictions on doing it? Do you need to be part of an organised group? Anyone else doing it?
Cheers, namsat

7 comments

VecchioJo [396 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

on the day of the race the climb will be closed to motorised traffic and becomes a bit of a leisurely free-for-all with riders and spectators struggling up the hill to reach their vantage points or just to get to the top

as soon as the Caravan Of Crap promotional cavalcade arrives, preceding the Tour riders, everyone clears out the way to let the peleton go past, or runs alongside, getting in the way

if you get up early enough you'll be able to climb the hill unhindered and then descend back down to a handy place by the side of the road to watch

Jon Burrage [998 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

namsat, jealousy just doesnt describe the way Im feeling!

dave atkinson [6223 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

can't do it this year. but it's a helluva climb. and that'll be the best day ever to do it on  1

assuming it isn't snowing at the top. which isn't unheard of in july  19 19

namsat [7 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Just trying to plan the trip now. Its all last minute stuff, but the plan is drive down on Friday to just north of Lyon. then the next 300kms or so on the saturday to Bedoin. From there, jump on the bike and have some fun. Its going to be a massive weekend (if I actually follow through with the plan).

My next concern is, once I've reached a good vantage point, am I going to be able to get some water or food form anywhere? are the likely to be some small food vans up there? I'm imagining there will be (if not, surely a good money spinner). I could just take normal riding food etc, but would be nice drinking a few cold ones and a sausage whilst waiting for the riders.

namsat

VecchioJo [396 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

it's highly unlikely there will be any food vans, take a small rucksack and stock up on snacks and drinks from somewhere in town

if you don't want to climb Ventoux with lunch on your back you'll have to climb to the top, ride to the bottom, load up on food and go back up again to a vantage point to collapse in a small sausage and beer shaped heap

be aware that Bedoin and the whole area will be very busy on the day so finding somewhere to park your car could be a bit of a verge-side lottery

anotherdeadhero [16 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

If you see a bunch of guys in Las Vegas Institute of Sport jerseys (purple & gold) that'll be us. We're doing the etape on Monday and then sticking around to watch the tour through. We'll be sauntering up Ventoux on Saturday morning to find a spot.

gandberg [175 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to be riding up the Ventoux on the Friday too, backpack bulging with vin rougue et pain. Maybe the pain will also be in my legs. I'll be wearing my rock racing shirt. Looking forward to it  1