Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacing old crank on road bike

I have an old Bianchi with Shimano 105 parts - 9 gears
I would like to replace the crank with a compact (getting old ...)

any idea if the newer cranks (designed for 10 gears) will do the job?
how about the FSA components? do they work well with Shimano parts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

giladj | 12 years ago
0 likes

End of story - so far
Got a new Sora crank and the shop fitted it with an XT SM-BB70 - seems like a strange mesh, but so far it's working well
Fun to ride on a compact up the hills  1

giladj | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon
Will consider the Sora

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Choosing a replacement depends on the type of bottom bracket. Yours is likely to be square taper or Octalink.

A simpler solution is to replace both chainset and BB at the same time. Any 9-speed compatible FSA would do, though current Shimano Sora (now 9-speed) hard to beat for quality and TBH the cheaper chainsets don't weigh much more than their £150 105/Ultegra counterparts. The hollowtech BBs aren't expensive either.

I think some 10-speed chainsets have a narrower gap between chainrings (and are likely to be more expensive anyway).

cborrman replied to Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Choosing a replacement depends on the type of bottom bracket. Yours is likely to be square taper or Octalink.

A simpler solution is to replace both chainset and BB at the same time. Any 9-speed compatible FSA would do, though current Shimano Sora (now 9-speed) hard to beat for quality and TBH the cheaper chainsets don't weigh much more than their £150 105/Ultegra counterparts. The hollowtech BBs aren't expensive either.

I think some 10-speed chainsets have a narrower gap between chainrings (and are likely to be more expensive anyway).

would definitely agree with the replacement of octalink and the choice... old square tapers are dreadful and heavy and a pig to remove. it took me 3 hours once to remove a rusty old square taper vs, 5 mins for the new cups ones, must be an upgrade worth a few hundred grammes weight decrease as well?

Latest Comments